Off Season changes

kldm64

According to Trev and just like football, Fred presented his vision for the program and changes that needed to be made to get this thing corrected.  I've heard that Matt A will definitely be gone at the end of the season but haven't heard of any other changes.  Besides coaching changes, wonder what other changes will be heading our way?

Armon is one that I wouldn't be shocked to move on. No inside knowledge, just my best guess. 

If Walker comes back, Oleg or Andre probably transfers, and I'm fairly confident it would be Andre. 

Obviously Bryce is all but gone to the NBA. Despite our season, he's still getting late first/early second looks. 

There COULD be some LOIs released with the Abdelmassih subtraction. Lawrence is from his neck of the woods, so that's one I'm watching. For Lloyd and Kieta, I think they'll stick? It's a guess

Outside of that, no clue honestly. 

29 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

According to Trev and just like football, Fred presented his vision for the program and changes that needed to be made to get this thing corrected.  I've heard that Matt A will definitely be gone at the end of the season but haven't heard of any other changes.  Besides coaching changes, wonder what other changes will be heading our way?

That will be tough on Fred cause I believe he is pretty close to Matt.  I am wondering if Matt comes back but in a different capacity?  Just thinking out loud. 

56 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Bryce is all but gone to the NBA. Despite our season, he's still getting late first/early second looks. 

And there is absolutely no better place to get drafted than that.  Can you imagine hitting the ground running with an NBA finals (or conference finalist) team?  Would be the very best place to be.

As opposed to coming back next year, moving up to maybe a lottery bubble type situation, and having your rookie contract clock start one year later, AND be on a team that will struggle to make the playoffs?

It's kind of a no-brainer.

If true it completely takes the hope of turning things around a massive longshot. Like I said several times, bringing Fred back is the correct move, bringing him back and cutting his legs off at the knees is pointless. Just a more high profile, significantly more expensive repeat of the Tim Miles era.

You all just saw what these players were capable of the other night.There's reasons it failed but the solution isn't to replace the guy who built it. And it's absolutely not to replace the guy who got the groceries. It's fixing the ones setting the menu. - Fixing not replacing. 

Or do you want to blame Matt for the pregame warm-ups too? 

9 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

If true it completely takes the hope of turning things around a massive longshot. Like I said several times, bringing Fred back is the correct move, bringing him back and cutting his legs off at the knees is pointless. Just a more high profile, significantly more expensive repeat of the Tim Miles era.

You all just saw what these players were capable of the other night. There's reasons it failed but the solution isn't to replace the guy who built it. And it's absolutely not to replace the guy who got the groceries. It's fixing the ones setting the menu. - Fixing not replacing. 

It's a massive longshot regardless. 

Last night was just one game. 

It is a pattern of nothing, signifying nothing.

Lets see what happens in the next 2 games.

12 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

You all just saw what these players were capable of the other night.There's reasons it failed but the solution isn't to replace the guy who built it. And it's absolutely not to replace the guy who got the groceries. It's fixing the ones setting the menu. - Fixing not replacing. 

That may or may not be true, but all parts of the program, including Matt's recruiting of a mismatched roster, are up for scrutiny under this new plan. The new plan, I think, needs to include a roster of coaches that all recruit and all coach. Another big part of the plan, IMO, needs to be to figure out how to sustain what we saw vs. Penn State. That was the blueprint for success. 

If Fred and Trev sat down and came up with a plan to put the pieces back together, I don't see that as cutting Fred's legs out from under him, at least not in the same way Moos did to Miles. Trev can give every resource to Fred to get the job done, while still saying you need to make some significant changes. That's a lot different than what happened to Tim.

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Just out of curiosity, but do you mind my asking where you're hearing this from?

3 hours ago, 49r said:

And there is absolutely no better place to get drafted than that.  Can you imagine hitting the ground running with an NBA finals (or conference finalist) team?  Would be the very best place to be.

As opposed to coming back next year, moving up to maybe a lottery bubble type situation, and having your rookie contract clock start one year later, AND be on a team that will struggle to make the playoffs?

It's kind of a no-brainer.

It is awful to go a great team you aren't going to be able to play much for when trying to build yourself up for that next contract.   Look what happened to Jaylen Smith recently.  Wasn't good enough to play much for Phoenix and they didn't even pick up his 3rd year offer on rookie contract.   This isn't like college where going to good coaching and development matters as much.  Playing time and showcasing yourself for your next contract matters.  Not particularly common for late round picks on great teams to see a bunch of playing time.  

I have a question as to why everyone hates Matt so much?  He has a knack of getting guys he covets.  That is a good thing.  Do we know for sure that he is the only person doing the talent evaluation regarding who to recruit?  And if so, that is absurd.   I think a guy like him can be useful IF he is used correctly.  

What needs to change is focusing on defense first.  Fred strength is finding ways to get the ball in the basket.  If we can play great d and get out and run and also not get broken down by allowing them into paint so easily, and being athletic enough to get more rebounds we will be more efficient.  His unique offensive personnel he likes are compromising our defense far too much.  Won't work in this league.   And then we need a defensive minded  coach to come in and handle all aspects on that side of the ball.  This Doc thing is not the answer.  You gotta have your defensive coordinator be the one coaching defense during the game.  

Longshot all this can get fixed before he inevitably gets canned.  Frustrating that he went about everything backwards, thinking his scheme would make them adjust to us.  Sounds familiar to another sport.  

2 hours ago, royalfan said:

What needs to change is focusing on defense first.  Fred strength is finding ways to get the ball in the basket.  If we can play great d and get out and run and also not get broken down by allowing them into paint so easily, and being athletic enough to get more rebounds we will be more efficient.  His unique offensive personnel he likes are compromising our defense far too much.  Won't work in this league.   And then we need a defensive minded  coach to come in and handle all aspects on that side of the ball.  This Doc thing is not the answer.  You gotta have your defensive coordinator be the one coaching defense during the game.  

Longshot all this can get fixed before he inevitably gets canned.  Frustrating that he went about everything backwards, thinking his scheme would make them adjust to us.  Sounds familiar to another sport.  

Defensive intensity and rebounding seem to go hand-in-hand. No doubt those aspects have been lacking, but both were there in the forefront last night at Penn St. Can that continue tomorrow, that's the question... I hope this works, I really like Freddy. But, man, most of these past 3 seasons have been so difficult to watch from a tough-D-and-rebound perspective that I have for what necessities a sound disciplined team.

6 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

If true it completely takes the hope of turning things around a massive longshot. The entire thing is a longshot.

You all just saw what these players were capable of the other night. Let's not pretend that the previous 20+ games didn't happen because of one night where everything went right.

Or do you want to blame Matt for the pregame warm-ups too?  You talk like Matt isn't allowed to be scrutinized.  Do you have a personal connection to him?  You've been on the Matt A bandwagon more than you've been on the Fred H bandwagon.  It's like no one can say one bad word about a guy who has "recruited" 22 wins worth of players over 3 years.

They are openly telling recruits that Abdelmassih will not be back next season so that's as good as done. I wouldn't expect Armon or Doc to return either. 

Curious who they can attract. With how bad the defense has been, make sense to move on from Doc.

I just wonder who they can get in and if they can actually improve the staff like the football team did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Curious who they can attract. With how bad the defense has been, make sense to move on from Doc.

I just wonder who they can get in and if they can actually improve the staff like the football team did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One option is a mid/lower head coach who gets fired this spring. A lot of those guys got their jobs because they were top-notch assistants. 

13 hours ago, royalfan said:

I have a question as to why everyone hates Matt so much?  He has a knack of getting guys he covets.  That is a good thing.  Do we know for sure that he is the only person doing the talent evaluation regarding who to recruit?  And if so, that is absurd.   I think a guy like him can be useful IF he is used correctly.  

You've answered most of your own questions here. 

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Just out of curiosity, but do you mind my asking where you're hearing this from?

I know some high school coaches who also coach on AAU circuit.  It sounds like Matt A hasn't been out recruiting much.  Not sure if you have noticed that Loenser has been out to watch most the recruits lately which used to be what Matt did.  Obviously there will be some hard conversations at the end of the year and things can change depending on what Fred ultimately decides.

One big ticket issue with Doc is that he's being paid like an assistant because he was under contract until April 2022 for that role. Thus, that's $320k to do a job we were previously paying someone $150k. On the flipside, Doc is so experienced he's about the closest thing we have to a basketball AD at this university.  I think Doc is perfectly fine in the 'basketball yoda' role assuming he's fine with what would be a paycut next year. If he's not coming back we should still fill that role.