uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 29 - at Penn State

uneblinstu

The team that won tonight is not the same team we've seen basically at any point this season prior to tonight.

I don't know where this team has been, but the differences were astounding.

They hustled. They sprinted. There was so much more effort. Then, there was cohesion. They continued to make the extra pass. There was so much less selfishness. That led to great ball movement and so much better looks than we're used to.

Why -- WHY -- did it take almost a full season for this team to finally figure this stuff out?

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The team that won tonight is not the same team we've seen basically at any point this season prior to tonight.

They hustled. They sprinted. There was so much more effort. Then, there was cohesion. They continued to make the extra pass. There was so much less selfishness. That led to great ball movement and so much better looks than we're used to.

Why -- WHY -- did it take almost a full season for this team to finally figure this stuff out?

You want to know why..... TRUST.

It's hard to attain with a merry band of misfits. But, somehow, after losing 16 of 17 B1G games, these young fellows decided enough is enough. Let's BALL OUT! And, most importantly, let's do it TOGETHER.

That's the reason, it's a weird deal. I actually had been thinking a lot about that exhibition game against the CU Buffs. That's what the Hoiberg offense is supposed to look like. I hope these particular fellows can replicate it on Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio. Because, more than anything, the players were having fun sharing it & scoring it; and we all know SHARING is CARING. Like I said, it's a matter of trust.

29 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not totally sure but knowing Fred will be back some of these kids are playing for their jobs. Past few games its showed.

Let's face it: If that team had given that kind of effort, and committed itself to that kind of ball movement all season long, they'd be playing in the post-season somewhere.

On the one hand, it's great to see, but on the other hand, it's a big source of aggravation that it took them nearly all season to finally pull their heads out of their butts and play like a team.

Better late than never. Will be interesting to see if they can do it again.

57 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Can't wait to make Harrar cry again in Indy. It will be delicious tears, once again.

Edited by AuroranHusker

28 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Can't wait to make Harrar cry again in Indy. It will be delicious tears, once again.

I can understand the emotion, it was the way he carried throughout the game. 

He was crying like a teenage girl after a a breakout.

I remember somewhere around the 3min mark I was hopping his coach would slap him like Don Corleone did to Johnny Fontane.

Edited by Ron Mexico

I certainly don't expect us to always shoot like we did last night, but what I do expect is that level of commitment to a game plan, that kind of team first (selfless v selfish) play, that sort of hustle and at least an appearance of basketball IQ, that was displayed.

Dang, I was able to watch both husker basketball teams play at a high level yesterday...a fun day of basketball!

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

We came out at halftime of the Iowa game and ran defensive drills.

Both games we've moved the ball around relatively more.

I'm about 70% sure last night that Kobe and Verge got taken out last for taking a bad shot in a game where we made almost all of them.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Did not watch.  Did not even see the score until I came in to work this morning.  Maybe I'll try to catch the replay if it's slow at work today, but maybe not.

Too bad 49r...the effort at least provides a glimmer of hope for the future.  That was about 37.5 minutes of very good basketball!

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I certainly don't expect us to always shoot like we did last night, but what I do expect is that level of commitment to a game plan, that kind of team first (selfless v selfish) play, that sort of hustle and at least an appearance of basketball IQ, that was displayed.

Dang, I was able to watch both husker basketball teams play at a high level yesterday...a fun day of basketball!

If Nebrasketball can ever get to a decent win-loss level, this State will become a rabid basketball state--just like its always been a rabid football state and, more recently, a rabid volleyball state.  The entire State of Nebraska is waiting--and hoping--for this to happen.

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

If Nebrasketball can ever get to a decent win-loss level, this State will become a rabid basketball state--just like its always been a rabid football state and, more recently, a rabid volleyball state.  The entire State of Nebraska is waiting--and hoping--for this to happen.

...and if you attend the women's games you will note a rabid albeit smaller fan base. 

This reminds me a bit of the Northwestern game from our 2015 game, the year after we won the tournament. It was the worst offensive year of the Tim Miles era.

We couldn't make a shot all season but that game we shot 10-21 from 3 and 17-22 from 2, toasting them 76-60 to get to 13-9.

It was a bright spot in a slog of a year but we didn't win another game the rest of the season.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Which scholarship guys that didn't go through the senior day festivities do you think leave?

I haven't got a clue, and the number that I hope it actually ends up being is 0 because in the Big Ten, being old matters...a lot...and we need to get a lot older.  But given Fred's track record so far I don't have a lot of faith.  We'll see.  Maybe he proves me wrong.