uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 29 - at Penn State

uneblinstu

I mean, we all saw that one coming, right?

That's the effort we're going to expect from here on out. It's what it should have been all along. It's what it can be moving forward. It makes you mad it took so long to show up, sure, but if they're going to get it turned around, that kind of effort needs to be the foundation.

It's just too bad that has been the exception and not the norm.  Hopefully we reverse that moving forward, and we expect games like this night in and night out.

I'll be honest, I had a movie night with the young one, so I didn't get the chance to watch.  I'm disappointed I didn't get to see this one and can't wait to hear what we did different (besides making shots probably) in this one.

3 hour drive home from North Platte forgot about game. Son texted about game and I turned it on and saw NU had 34-24 lead. Wife didn't want to make supper and said she wanted to go back out and I didn't want to jinx Huskers. Turned tv off and headed out. Got text from buddy showing NU up 93-63. Life is good!

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska scored 93 points tonight, the most Penn State allowed this season (86 in a 2 OT win vs. Iowa, 81 in regulation vs. UMass). PSU entered tonight allowing a conference-best 64.6 points per game in Big Ten play
*-Nebraska’s 93 points was the Huskers’ second-highest total of the season (100 in a 4 OT loss at NC State). NU’s high in regulation was 88 against Kennesaw State on Dec. 22, 2021. It matched NU’s highest Big Ten total since scoring 93 against Iowa in the 2018-19 regular-season finale.
•-Nebraska’s 93 points were its most ever in a Big Ten Conference road game (91 at Minnesota in 2018) and marked the Huskers’ highest point total in any conference road game since the Big Red scored 96 at Oklahoma on Jan. 20, 1999.
•-Nebraska’s 23-point margin of victory tied for its third-largest margin in a Big Ten Conference game since the Huskers joined the Big Ten in the 2011-12 season. The 23-point road win was Nebraska’s second-largest Big Ten road victory, trailing only a 34-point win on Jan. 9, 2016 at Rutgers (90-56).
*-Nebraska’s 58.2 percent shooting was its highest in Fred Hoiberg’s three season and the highest for NU since shooting 62.8 percent in a win over Northwestern in 2013-14.
*-Nebraska has now shot at least 50 percent in each of the last two games.
*-Nebraska put a season-high five players in double figures. It marked the first time that has happened since Feb. 27, 2021.
*-Nebraska snapped a 13-game road losing streak dating back to last season’s win at Penn State (2/14/2021)
•-The Huskers were just one 3-pointer shy of matching the best 3-point shooting performance in a conference game in school history. Nebraska was 13-of-20 from beyond the arc, shooting 65.0 percent from the 3-point line. The school record for highest 3-point percentage in a conference game is 66.7 percent (14-of-21) at Kansas State on Feb. 27, 2010.
*-Bryce McGowens posted his 10th 20-point game of the season, which ties a Nebraska freshman record (10 by Joe McCray in 2004-05). He finished with a game-high 25 points, his fifth 25-point game of the season. He has now reached double figures in 11 straight games, extending his own freshman record.
*-Lat Mayen scored a season-high 13 points, topping his previous high of 11 against Wisconsin on Jan. 29. It marked Mayen’s second double-figure game of 2021-22.
*-Trey McGowens also finished with season highs in both points (12) and steals (four)
*-Nebraska’s 49-point first half was NU’s highest in Big Ten play (44 at Michigan) and second-highest half in 2021-22.
*-Nebraska won the rebounding battle, 34-22, as the +12 margin was NU’s best margin against a Big Ten opponent since the 2018-19 season. NU also out-scored Penn State, 14-3 on second-chance points.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So do you suppose the PSU fans were yelling at their TV to please guard the three.

I liked the time that Alonzo Verge drove the lane, and was completely mauled, and plain as day he screamed "CALL THE FOUL!" I was sure that ref was going to stop the game. Nebraska buried a three pure, anyway. 😅

I think we turned it over our second and third possession of second half and I thought here we go again.  What was amazing is we did it against one of the better defenses in the conference.  The offensive explosion made our defense better in that Penn State started to press on offense.  I'm sure this is what Coach Hoiberg hoped it would be like all season and would hide our defensive deficiencies.