uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 28 - vs. Iowa

uneblinstu

Spouting heresy never goes well (here's an exception: Martin Luther died of natural causes, not by execution).

But here goes. 

I thought, last night:

• the team played hard
  • the team looked to share the ball--even passed up good shots for an extra pass
  • even when Alonzo Verge dribbled around in the paint, he looked to kick-out before going to the hole
  • the coaches coached hard and well--an unusual e.g., their half-time shoot around included practicing defensive closing
  • there are deficiencies on the team, especially when Derrick Walker is forced by fouls to the bench
  • Derrick Walker returning next year is a base from which to work.

Such things are examples of why Hoiberg gets another year.

And my vote is this: good for them!

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

It's a stable version of what we're trying to do. That's Fran with a solid coaching staff and mostly kids recruited from high school.

The difference between their Sophomore Lottery pick & our Freshman 2nd Rounder is STARK…, but I agree Fred has not established a foundational base of high school talent.

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

58-56 with 11 minutes to go and we go

-Trey with a wild runner

- CJ with a decent look but missed

- Trey with a bad pass while being fouled, no call

- Bryce getting the ball stolen

- Walker turns the ball over not catching a nice pass from Verge

- Bryce turnover on a bad pass

- Verge with a wild runner

- Verge with a missed 3

It's 69-56 with 6 to go. Game over.

Yep, also the 12-5 run at the end of the 1st half doomed NU's chances to play from ahead in the 2nd half....

4 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Spouting heresy never goes well (here's an exception: Martin Luther died of natural causes, not by execution).

But here goes. 

I thought, last night:

• the team played hard
  • the team looked to share the ball--even passed up good shots for an extra pass
  • even when Alonzo Verge dribbled around in the paint, he looked to kick-out before going to the hole
  • the coaches coached hard and well--an unusual e.g., their half-time shoot around included practicing defensive closing
  • there are deficiencies on the team, especially when Derrick Walker is forced by fouls to the bench
  • Derrick Walker returning next year is a base from which to work.

Such things are examples of why Hoiberg gets another year.

And my vote is this: good for them!

I noticed the half time warm up and thought they must read this board. They followed up the defense work with actual organized shooting warm ups as well and seemed to be focused. I did not get there early enough pre game but would guess / hope that looked more focused as well? At least there was a little change

Edited by Art Vandalay

Just rewatched the end of the game last night.   That Bohannon kid is such a punk dirty player.   Glad his 7 years of eligibility are finally out.   Before that play at the end in the corner he gave Trey a big shove before they ever inbounded the ball.   When they got in the tieup Trey shoved a bit but with his hands on the ball - and Bohannon blew up.   His conduct was far worse than anything that Trey did.     Then the next time they were taking the ball out - he did the same thing - went to CJ and gave him just a big obvious shove before the ball was inbounded.    Oh - and earlier when he faked the eye injury, yes Bryce's hand hit him on the side of the face but only because he used his off hand to give Bryce a big push and knocked Bryce off balance.      Not sure there is a player I am more happy to see gone since Jason Sutherland - who played at Missouri about 20+ years ago and was the dirtiest player I can remember.

Edited by HuskerBB

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

I noticed the half time warm up and thought they must read this board. They followed up the defense work with actual organized shooting warm ups as well and seemed to be focus. I did not get there early enough pre game but would guess / hope that looked more focused as well? At least there was a little change

Yup...this was a good change in my humble opinion.   Provided a bit of energy. 

45 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Just curious and I won't belabor the point, how did Martin Luther die?

Martin Luther died on February 18, 1546. One month before, he wrote to a friend complaining of the infirmities of his age, “I, old, weary, lazy, worn-out, cold, chilly, and, over and above, one-eyed man.” 

17 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

58-56 with 11 minutes to go and we go

-Trey with a wild runner

- CJ with a decent look but missed

- Trey with a bad pass while being fouled, no call

- Bryce getting the ball stolen

- Walker turns the ball over not catching a nice pass from Verge

- Bryce turnover on a bad pass

- Verge with a wild runner

- Verge with a missed 3

It's 69-56 with 6 to go. Game over.

That was the moment I left and went across the street to Longwell's. I knew it was over.

41 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Martin Luther died on February 18, 1546. One month before, he wrote to a friend complaining of the infirmities of his age, “I, old, weary, lazy, worn-out, cold, chilly, and, over and above, one-eyed man.” 

So, was it natural causes or execution and how does this apply to heresy? Sorry, I'm not being confrontational, I'm just ignorant and want to learn on this subject.

6 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

That Bohannon kid is such a punk dirty player.   Not sure there is a player I am more happy to see gone since Jason Sutherland - who played at Missouri about 20+ years ago and was the dirtiest player I can remember.

You apparently haven't paid a lot of attention to Xavier Johnson, shown below applying a special hold from behind between the legs of EJ Liddell.

image.png

I've watched a lot of player pressers and most times I don't get a lot of out them.

I thought it was remarkable how engaged Alonzo Verge was how much he went to bat for Hoiberg here. I thought that most of the presser was worth watching so I went to the trouble of uploading it.

19 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I've watched a lot of player pressers and most times I don't get a lot of out them.

I thought it was remarkable how engaged Alonzo Verge was how much he went to bat for Hoiberg here. I thought that most of the presser was worth watching so I went to the trouble of uploading it.

Yeah, considering how often that coach has benched Verge for his various rogue moments, it's impressive how much Verge loves to be coached by Fred Hoiberg.

Thanks for posting the (players) press conference Matt! 

I thought it was rather curious that the press conference posted on the HuskerHoops Tweet site was only 6:10 long and seemed to consist only of Coach Hoiberg.  I guess they didn't post the players conference.