The Decision Has Been Made

Norm Peterson

I was curious as to some of the biggest 1 season turnarounds of all time.

I picked this article because Nebraska was mentioned.

Please note how incredibly difficult this is to do.

I'm not trying to tamp down enthusiasm for next season but rather help people maintain perspective.

Anything in the 12-15 range would be monumental.

A reasonable expectation would be ~10 wins and finishing 12/13 in conference.

https://www.startribune.com/biggest-turnarounds-in-division-i-college-basketball/400787511/

A good question would be what have TA and FH talked about that would allow him to have a 5th season.

15 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm not trying to tamp down enthusiasm for next season but rather help people maintain perspective.

https://www.startribune.com/biggest-turnarounds-in-division-i-college-basketball/400787511/

A good question would be what have TA and FH talked about that would allow him to have a 5th season.

Great find, I was thinking about that and considering doing some research. Guess I'll take a nap instead.

One thing that might have been mentioned but I haven't seen it: Trev got thrown into a tough spot with this program. Giving Fred an extra year allows him to thoroughly research a replacement. The likelihood of this getting turned around in a year is pretty low.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Nighthawk said:

Spot on.  I also don't want to see anyone post on this board how amazing a player we have recruited is and how much they will help the team.  Talk is cheap.  The players need to prove to me they are worth getting excited for.  I don't give a carp what they did prior to setting foot on the court in a Husker uniform.  If the players prove themselves, thats fantastic...but we see how amazing(ly bad) these guys turned out to be with all the hype the press...and people here put on the players.  

Exactly! No more "this is the Japanese Steph Curry" or "that guy was a 5 star before he reclassified" or "he made 89 of 100 3s in practice." I was that guy. Not anymore.

Edited by Coaches kid
add more

Hypothetical Question: If Fred had the following record, would he still be the coach in year 5? Year 1-21-12, #2-13-18, #3-17-16, #4- 10-18. #5-???.                     For those who haven't already guessed it, that was Danny Nee's trajectory prior to his 5th year in '90-91 when he reached 26-8 and at one time was rated !!th in the nation.   

On 2/25/2022 at 8:31 AM, 49r said:

@Norm PetersonI propose that when the hype train starts getting rolling (oh, sometime around May or June) that you revisit this thought in a new thread.  We need to constantly remind ourselves to be vigilant against this insidious hype.

My solution has been that I haven't glanced at the recruiting board more than a handful of times all year. I don't care if we're involved with a 5-star or not. The Iowa players who kicked our ass the most last night were all sophomores and none of them were nationally ranked coming out of HS.

So, I don't care what the star ranking was for any of the players who show up in the fall. I only care what they play like on the floor. And I won't know that for sure until they actually get here and put on a Husker game-day uniform.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

My solution has been that I haven't glanced at the recruiting board more than a handful of times all year. I don't care if we're involved with a 5-star or not. The Iowa players who kicked our ass the most last night were all sophomores and none of them were nationally ranked coming out of HS.

So, I don't care what the star ranking was for any of the players who show up in the fall. I only care what they play like on the floor. And I won't know that for sure until they actually get here and put on a Husker game-day uniform.

Right there with you, Norm. That's been my philosophy over multiple coaching administrations.

I will say though, it's a bit more difficult when it involves summer adds via the transfer portal who have more translatable experience in D1.

Yeah, it is difficult because I want information but I don't want hyperbole.   

If I were a biblical character I would have to be Thomas.  I need to see the kid in person, definitely not video.  Video lies.  You can edit to your hearts desire.

A couple years ago there was hype about a big that we landed.  Many of us went to the opening scrimmage and was dumbfounded by what we saw.  The player was (with all due respect) terrible.  I think he ended up being a bench player at Peru State.

So note to all who release player information, please provide facts, not another persons perception of fact...and oh yeah, I do not care if someone can hit 30 free throws in a row at practice; I care if that player can hit the front end of a 1 & 1 when the game is on the line; or if a player can hit a clutch three pointer or that if there is a loose ball on the floor, that player is the first on the floor after it; or that he can control the boards; or that be a great teammate; or that he does the little things automatically because he has a high basketball IQ.  The fact that he can dunk the ball @ an AAU game is simply not impressive to me.

Hypothetical Question: If Fred had the following record, would he still be the coach in year 5? Year 1-21-12, #2-13-18, #3-17-16, #4- 10-18. #5-???.                     For those who haven't already guessed it, that was Danny Nee's trajectory prior to his 5th year in '90-91 when he reached 26-8 and at one time was rated !!th in the nation.   

Two winning seasons and a NIT Final Four? You bet. Especially knowing who he had on that team going into year 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall there being much of a dedoch chan hype train.  We needed post depth and maybe we made another Evan Taylor pickup and oh yeah, he played with Matthew Hurt.

We can recruit 10 decoch chan's next year and at some point before the season starts i'll think we're going to win 18.  Here's the thing, I appreciate everyone who says we're going to be awful as much as enjoying everyone who thinks we're going to the NCAA tourney because who knows until we roll it out.

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Here's the thing, I appreciate everyone who says we're going to be awful as much as enjoying everyone who thinks we're going to the NCAA tourney because who knows until we roll it out.

Sort of a "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it"/ "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." dilemma we got here.

Beyond the expected staff and roster changes, it will be interesting to see how Fred schedules for next season.  We're obviously locked into Creighton and Kansas State plus the ACC challenge.  

On second thought, Auburn was the only other tough game scheduled in the non-conference this year, so it won't look much different in terms of the ability to compile meaningless wins.  

I've just made myself more depressed!

On 2/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, Ron Mexico said:

Iowa State went from 2 wins (last season) to 20 in TJ's 1st yr.

11 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Iowa State went from 2 wins (last season) to 20 in TJ's 1st yr.

Didn't have the same coach, however.

I'd venture to say none of the teams in that list featured coaches with 3 horrible seasons who had giant rebounds in the 4th. Most either were new hires or were rebounding after one bad season.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
Clarify

22 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Didn't have the same coach, however.

I'd venture to say none of the teams in that list featured coaches with 3 horrible seasons who had giant rebounds in the 4th. Most either were new hires or were rebounding after one bad season.

Yeah, for sure; It's still wild that ISU went from 2 to 20.

On 2/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, HuskerFever said:

Right there with you, Norm. That's been my philosophy over multiple coaching administrations.

I will say though, it's a bit more difficult when it involves summer adds via the transfer portal who have more translatable experience in D1.

This is the big caveat when it comes to recruiting. It takes a critical eye to discern what will translate to the next level and what won't. As an example, I was very excited for John Christofilis to step on the court this season, his YouTube videos showed off his shooting skill. Spot up, pull up, off of screens, he looked like the total package. But he never made it onto the court except garbage/desperation time and hasn't shot the ball well in practice. My assumption is that he needs time and physical development to apply that shooting skill to higher level basketball.

Physically gifted players are more likely to make an impact right away. Guys who can jump out of the gym, or are taller than their position. Level of competition is important too. Ryan Nembhard went up against a lot of talented players at Monteverde.

32 minutes ago, bleujay said:

This is the big caveat when it comes to recruiting. It takes a critical eye to discern what will translate to the next level and what won't. As an example, I was very excited for John Christofilis to step on the court this season, his YouTube videos showed off his shooting skill. Spot up, pull up, off of screens, he looked like the total package. But he never made it onto the court except garbage/desperation time and hasn't shot the ball well in practice. My assumption is that he needs time and physical development to apply that shooting skill to higher level basketball.

Physically gifted players are more likely to make an impact right away. Guys who can jump out of the gym, or are taller than their position. Level of competition is important too. Ryan Nembhard went up against a lot of talented players at Monteverde.

We know your message boards sucks, but that doesn't mean you belong here or are wanted here.