Bryce & Big Dave

AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

If you hadn’t watched him play you would assume Bryce has padded his numbers being a Ball Hog on a BAD team. He’s actually been the opposite, plays within himself & let’s the game come to him more often than not…

I think he's played like a pro these past few weeks. Bryce took OSU to the woodshed. It truly was a sight to see... ol' Holtmann eat his own words.

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Very true, Hoppen & Lue had the luxury of playing on VERY talented rosters & they weren’t expected to carry the load like Bryce has been. 

Maybe Dave Hoppen will jump on and correct me if I am wrong, but when Dave was in the game the offense ran through him.  He touched the ball nearly every time we had the ball, and rightly so.  He was a gifted player.  During that time the post position was more about offensive skills than physicality.   

Did he have talent around him.  Yes, but there was no question who the alpha was.

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

Maybe Dave Hoppen will jump on and correct me if I am wrong, but when Dave was in the game the offense ran through him.  He touched the ball nearly every time we had the ball, and rightly so.  He was a gifted player.  During that time the post position was more about offensive skills than physicality.   

Did he have talent around him.  Yes, but there was no question who the alpha was.

Big Dave was "The Man," no question.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

For sure, took em to the NIT Final Four! Had Stan Cloudy, Kenny Walton Claude Renfro & of course Handy Johnson to help shoulder the load…

12 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Sweet, one of the few autographs I ever got was a Dick Vitale from the Barn in 1990. He was in Mpls. covering the Olympic Festival Games featuring an 18 year old Shaquille O’Neal vs. Eric Montross…

That's a cool story. Shaq's my guy. Montross was a monster for Carolina, didn't do much in the pros...

• 2 weeks later...

FREE THROWS MADE
1. James Palmer Jr. (2019)............................................... 215
2. Jack Moore (1980)........................................................ 184
3. Terran Petteway (2014)............................................... ..167
4. Dave Hoppen (1985)..................................................... 164
5. James Palmer Jr. (2018)............................................... 163

6. Bryce McGowens (2022).............................................. 162
7. Dave Hoppen (1984)...................................................... 158
8. Aleks Maric (2007)......................................................... 147
9. Bob Gratopp (1969)....................................................... 141
10. Tom Russell (1962)...................................................... 140

ASSISTS PER GAME (min. 100 Assists)
G Assists APG
1. Brian Carr (1985).......................30......... 237............. 7.90
2. Brian Carr (1986).......................30......... 201............. 6.70
3. Cam Mack (2020)......................28......... 179............. 6.39
4. Charles Richardson Jr. (2007)...31......... 179............. 5.77

5. Alonzo Verge Jr.  (2022)..........31........ 169............ 5.45
6. Brian Carr (1987)........................33......... 166............. 5.03
7. Tyronn Lue (1998).....................32......... 152............... 4.75
8. Jack Moore (1980).....................31......... 145.............. 4.68
9. Jamar Johnson (1992)...............28......... 130............. 4.64
10. Lance Jeter (2011).....................32......... 145.............4.53

49 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

FREE THROWS MADE
1. James Palmer Jr. (2019)............................................... 215
2. Jack Moore (1980)........................................................ 184
3. Terran Petteway (2014)............................................... ..167
4. Dave Hoppen (1985)..................................................... 164
5. James Palmer Jr. (2018)............................................... 163

6. Bryce McGowens (2022).............................................. 162
7. Dave Hoppen (1984)...................................................... 158
8. Aleks Maric (2007)......................................................... 147
9. Bob Gratopp (1969)....................................................... 141
10. Tom Russell (1962)...................................................... 140

This really shines a bright light on just how dependent Miles' system is (or at least was) on having a big guard that is elite at getting to the rim and drawing fouls.