Bryce & Big Dave

AuroranHusker

Bryce is about 89 points away from Top 10 points scored in a season. He'd have to score a crazy number of points in our next 3 games and/or we'd have to start winning B1G tourney games for him to make it there.

Verge should end up somewhere around 5th or 6th all time in single season assists.  He's currently 10th and needs 3 more to jump into 7th.

5 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It is a bit bittersweet for me.

Single best season ever at Nebraska feels wasted.

There is actually a big debate on whether BM should be voted as freshman of the year in the B1G?!?

Many are torn because our team is so horrifically bad.

I have a bad feeling that he is going to be robbed of this well deserved honor.

If it goes to the Ohio State player, then coaches like his own need to be a grip. If you hadn't heard, OSU Coach Holtmann basically said he wouldn't vote for Bryce.... srsly?!? 🤨

14 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It is a bit bittersweet for me.

Single best season ever at Nebraska feels wasted.

There is actually a big debate on whether BM should be voted as freshman of the year in the B1G?!?

Many are torn because our team is so horrifically bad.

I have a bad feeling that he is going to be robbed of this well deserved honor.

Bryce isn't going to get robbed if Branham wins it.

Branham has had a LOT more impact on the Big Ten by being the second leading scorer on one of the top teams. Bryce's scoring average is higher because he plays more minutes and takes more shots:

Bryce: 40.3% fg, 27.9% 3s, 372 shots, 33 minutes/game

Branham: 48.6% fg, 44.1% 3s, 245 shots, 28 minutes/game

Only Husker fans see Bryce as the runaway choice for FOY. The argument for Branham is just as compelling.

10 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

If it goes to the Ohio State player, then coaches like his own need to be a grip. If you hadn't heard, OSU Coach Holtmann basically said he wouldn't vote for Bryce.... srsly?!? 🤨

Would you really expect him to?  That no different than Fred saying he won't vote for Branham which nobody would fault him for.  Don't make it a bigger deal than it is as Holtmann praised Bryce but just said he wouldn't vote for him (cause he is voting for his own player).  I would expect any coach do that the same.  Both players are very deserving but can see where you have a bigger impact on a winning team.  You can look at it several ways but right now, Bryce's impact is not equating to wins.  

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Bryce isn't going to get robbed if Branham wins it.

Branham has had a LOT more impact on the Big Ten by being the second leading scorer on one of the top teams. Bryce's scoring average is higher because he plays more minutes and takes more shots:

Bryce: 40.3% fg, 27.9% 3s, 372 shots, 33 minutes/game

Branham: 48.6% fg, 44.1% 3s, 245 shots, 28 minutes/game

Only Husker fans see Bryce as the runaway choice for FOY. The argument for Branham is just as compelling.

Bryce is the Freshman of the year, hands down. This is not a POY or all conference selection.

This is a selection of who was the best player as a Freshman irrespective of team record.

He deserves this honor.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Bryce is the Freshman of the year, hands down. This is not a POY or all conference selection.

This is a selection of who was the best player as a Freshman irrespective of team record.

He deserves this honor.

It's only hands down if you go by ppg. I think the voting will be tight, and it's not because everybody's stupid or because there's an anti-Husker bias. It's because you're looking at two players who had outstanding seasons.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It's only hands down if you go by ppg. I think the voting will be tight, and it's not because everybody's stupid or because there's an anti-Husker bias. It's because you're looking at two players who had outstanding seasons.

There would be no debate if Nebraska had 6+ wins in the conference.

The debate about Bryce is related to how bad our team is.

Hypotheticals in the instance are simply that, hypotheticals.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

There would be no debate if Nebraska had 6+ wins in the conference.

The debate about Bryce is related to how bad our team is.

Hypotheticals in the instance are simply that, hypotheticals.

Chuck Taylor didn't pose a hypothetical, he provided statistics comparing the two. Considering Bryce is essentially our #1 option on offense and Branham is OSU's #2 option at this point, to me, it's not as clear cut as us Husker fans might think. Both are deserving IMO and both will have an opportunity tonight to further make their case. I'll add that Branham is the reason we didn't beat OSU the first meeting and has come up big in other conference games that were W's (at Illinois comes to mind) for OSU.

Nebraska single season assists leaders (since 1974)

1. Brian Carr (1985)........................................................ 237

2. Brian Carr (1986)........................................................ 201

3. Charles Richardson Jr. (2007)................................... 179

Cam Mack (2020)...................................................... 179

5. Brian Carr (1987)........................................................ 166

6. .Alonzo Verge (2022)............................................ 154

7. Tyronn Lue (1998)...................................................... 152
8. Jack Moore (1980)..................................................... 145

Lance Jeter (2011)...................................................... 145

10. Tyronn Lue (1996).................................................... 144

3/1

3pt Makes by Freshman

1. Joe McCray (2005)....................................................... 80

4. CJ WIlcher(2022).................................................... 50

3. Ryan Anderson (2007)................................................. 48

4. Jamel White (2006)...................................................... 44
     Eric Piatkowski (1991).................................................. 44
6. Eshaunte Jones (2010)................................................. 40

Bryce McGowens (2022)........................................ 40

8 Cary Cochran (1999)..................................................... 39

9. Jake Muhleisen (2002)................................................. 35
10. Jack McVeigh (2016)................................................... 34

Freshman Rebounding Leaders

1. Yvan Ouedraogo (2020)............................................. 203
2. Aleks Maric (2005)..................................................... 169
3. John Turek (2002)...................................................... 162
4.  Venson Hamilton (1996)............................................ 161
     Dave Hoppen (1983).................................................. 161

6. Bryce McGowens (2022)........................................158

7. Michael Jacobson (2016)........................................... 147
8. Shavon Shields (2013)................................................ 144
      Andre Smith (1978).................................................... 144
10. Joe McCray (2005).................................................... 140

Freshman FGs Made

1. Dave Hoppen (1983).................................................. 163

2. Bryce McGowens (2022).......................................158

3. Jerry Fort (1973)......................................................... 151
4. Joe McCray (2005)..................................................... 143
5. Jorge Brian Diaz (2010).............................................. 133
6. Cookie Belcher (1997)................................................ 117
7. Jake Muhleisen (2002)............................................... 115
Glynn Watson Jr. (2016).................................................. 115
9. Tyronn Lue (1996)...................................................... 105
Andre Smith (1978)......................................................... 105

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Nebraska single season assists leaders (since 1974)

1. Brian Carr (1985)........................................................ 237

2. Brian Carr (1986)........................................................ 201

3. Charles Richardson Jr. (2007)................................... 179

Cam Mack (2020)...................................................... 179

5. Brian Carr (1987)........................................................ 166

6. .Alonzo Verge (2022)............................................ 154

7. Tyronn Lue (1998)...................................................... 152
8. Jack Moore (1980)..................................................... 145

Lance Jeter (2011)...................................................... 145

10. Tyronn Lue (1996).................................................... 144

Pretty cool to see Zo give so much praise to Freddy about a week ago, then he's balled out since then. Tonight Verge had 9 assists at HALF! Finished with 11, to only 1 TO. Love to see Zo enjoying his teammates out there, the TRUST factor has been in effect these past few ballgames, hope they keep it rollin'!

And I find it interesting that Bryce has identical numbers of rebounds as he has made field goals (158) after 30 ballgames for roughly 6 of ea. per gm. I noticed on huskers.com that Bryce McGowens has played 1,000 min. for an average of 33.3 mpg, which seems to be a very high no. for a true FROSH at Nebraska, I gotta think that would be another record that #5 has going for him.

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

And I find it interesting that Bryce has identical numbers of rebounds as he has made field goals (158) after 30 ballgames for roughly 6 of ea. per gm. I noticed on huskers.com that Bryce McGowens has played 1,000 min. for an average of 33.3 mpg, which seems to be a very high no. for a true FROSH at Nebraska, I gotta think that would be another record that #5 has going for him.

It's not a freshman record they track so I'd have to dig into the usual suspects

edit: @AuroranHusker Tyronn Lue played 1033 as a freshman

Edited by hhcmatt
updated

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

It’s easy to forget how really GOOD Brian Carr was, & also remember Lue put up those numbers playing alongside two other NBA players (Moore/Strickland) & the mercurial Jaron Boone…

Style of play and tempo have a lot to do with this list. Anytime Hoiberg has a single starting PG that guy is likely to crack this list.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Style of play and tempo have a lot to do with this list. Anytime Hoiberg has a single starting PG that guy is likely to crack this list.

Very true, Hoppen & Lue had the luxury of playing on VERY talented rosters & they weren’t expected to carry the load like Bryce has been. 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, kldm64 said:

Would you really expect him to?  That no different than Fred saying he won't vote for Branham which nobody would fault him for.  Don't make it a bigger deal than it is as Holtmann praised Bryce but just said he wouldn't vote for him (cause he is voting for his own player).  I would expect any coach do that the same.  Both players are very deserving but can see where you have a bigger impact on a winning team.  You can look at it several ways but right now, Bryce's impact is not equating to wins.  

Well, you don't say it right before a game against said opponent. Guess that bit ol' Holtmann in the butt. But, speaking of OSU's coach, I thought you *couldn't* vote for your own players for these type of awards. ??

Edited by AuroranHusker