Could Sam Griesel have played on a decent team in the Big Ten?

Norm Peterson

Watched Baylor play many times this year.  There was no doubt in my mind he could play here, even though he had a tough go of it tonight.  Sam I hadn't seen, but he sure looks like he could play here as well.  I am not going to be one that says we screwed up not recruiting them.  I believe that was Baylor's only D1 offer.  Not sure on Sam.  When those guys don't work it is easy to say you have to recruit talent.  When they do, we have to recruit Nebraska kids.  Tough spot,  but is is fairly clear we cannot just keep taking nomads and hope that the recipe equals the ingredients.  I am fine moving on from Matt, especially if his character issues that have been discussed are true.  

8 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I liked Sam out of high school, thought Miles should have offered him. Did not have a clue on Baylor but they both would be solid contributors in the Big10 I think

Baylor Scheierman was really, really good; his court vision is elite. And he had above-avg. shooting with his range out to 30' in H.S. He's proven to be a viable Div. 1 player, as many who watched him play suspected he'd be good enough to get it done. I still believe he could contribute at a Big Ten program, the right situation would be fun to watch unfold for Baylor's unique set of skills. He is the only player in Div. 1 who leads his conference in rebounds and assists. A bit of a unicorn, at his level of Div. 1, mind you...

5 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I liked Sam out of high school, thought Miles should have offered him. Did not have a clue on Baylor but they both would be solid contributors in the Big10 I think

Scheierman was very thin in high school; if anybody had known he'd be able to get to 210 he might have got an offer (and maybe for football as well(,

He looked a bit better than Thor when they matched up head-to-head three years ago when he was a freshman, in what was his third or fourth game.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Looks like we may get a chance to find out the answer to OP’s question. Sounds like lots of fan interest from Iowa and Indiana. Presumably other Big Ten schools will be as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes too much sense for him to come back. Even if they bring in another PG, they can run 2 ball handler sets (where Fred's offense is always at it's best). I'm on board for him. 

It makes too much sense for him to come back. Even if they bring in another PG, they can run 2 ball handler sets (where Fred's offense is always at it's best). I'm on board for him. 

Really doubt we have a shot TBH, gonna be bigger fish after him and we don’t have a recruiter on staff. Plus, who in their right mind is gonna want to transfer to Fred’s sinking ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, 49r said:

Really doubt we have a shot TBH, gonna be bigger fish after him and we don’t have a recruiter on staff. Plus, who in their right mind is gonna want to transfer to Fred’s sinking ship?

The sure won't if they don't call. Have to at least make an attempt if they want him

Edited by uneblinstu