Could Sam Griesel have played on a decent team in the Big Ten?

Norm Peterson

Here are his NDSU stats:

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM
2018-19
2019-20
2020-21
2021-22
Career  

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
24 22 25.6 2.4-5.1 46.3 0.3-1.3 25.0 1.0-1.8 58.1 1.0 2.8 3.8 1.5 0.1 0.5 1.5 1.3 6.1
22 13 24.1 2.5-5.9 42.3 0.4-1.5 27.3 1.2-1.8 67.5 1.9 3.7 5.5 0.9 0.2 0.5 1.6 1.3 6.6
27 27 33.9 3.9-9.7 40.2 0.7-2.1 33.9 3.0-4.4 69.5 1.1 5.3 6.4 3.0 0.3 1.0 2.2 2.1 11.5
22 22 33.0 4.4-9.7 45.5 0.8-2.3 36.0 4.1-5.3 76.9 1.1 5.3 6.5 2.9 0.4 0.8 1.8 1.9 13.7
95 84 29.3 3.3-7.7 43.2 0.6-1.8 31.6 2.4-3.3 70.4 1.3 4.3 5.6 2.1 0.2 0.7 1.8 1.7 9.5

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I watch a smattering of Summit League hoops on ESPN+ and I think about that all the time.  Like, could Baylor Scheierman come in for us and dominate the Big Ten like he does in the Summit?  And every time the conclusion I come to is "no...no he would not".

OK, he wouldn't have dominated. But could he have been better than, say, Lat Mayen?

Baylor Scheierman stats:

2019-20
2020-21
2021-22
Career  

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
32 3 20.2 2.2-5.1 42.7 0.6-2.4 24.7 1.0-1.5 66.7 0.8 3.9 4.7 2.2 0.2 0.4 2.2 2.0 6.0
23 23 35.2 5.2-10.4 49.8 2.5-5.7 43.8 2.6-3.1 84.5 0.6 8.7 9.2 4.0 0.2 1.0 1.2 2.0 15.4
29 29 32.8 5.2-10.1 52.1 2.2-4.7 46.7 2.9-3.5 81.4 0.4 8.0 8.4 4.6 0.2 1.3 1.9 2.0 15.5
84 55 28.6 4.1-8.3 49.1 1.7-4.1 40.6 2.1-2.6 79.2 0.6 6.6 7.2 3.5 0.2 0.9 1.8 2.0 11.9

The answer is yes.   I watched Sam a lot in high school, and he had that "bounce" of an athlete.   He rebounded in the Summit from the get go.  Smart (as in an actual basketball IQ), fundamental player.   Wouldn't have been a star in this league, but could have played some minutes eventually.  Would have stuck around and improved (even with bad coaching) here, and given us way better basketball to watch than the hot garbage we've had to witness.  

2 minutes ago, HB said:

The answer is yes.   I watched Sam a lot in high school, and he had that "bounce" of an athlete.   He rebounded in the Summit from the get go.  Smart (as in an actual basketball IQ), fundamental player.   Wouldn't have been a star in this league, but could have played some minutes eventually.  Would have stuck around and improved (even with bad coaching) here, and given us way better basketball to watch than the hot garbage we've had to witness.  

All of those things apply to Baylor Scheierman. He's been a solid performer, and he would have given his heart to play for dear ol' Nebraska U. which can't be said about a lot of Matt Abdelmassih's recruits from far & wide. Oh well, that ship has sailed... and it's really too bad.

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

All of those things apply to Baylor Scheierman. He's been a solid performer, and he would have given his heart to play for dear ol' Nebraska U. which can't be said about a lot of Matt Abdelmassih's recruits from far & wide. Oh well, that ship has sailed... and it's really too bad.

Yes, I agree on Schieerman also.  

Mike Daum is the poster child here. He turned into a super star at SDSU. That likely wouldn't have been the result here, but he's still playing overseas. He could have contributed here. Probably in a big way. I think Schierman could have worked his way into a major rotation piece, but when you switch up all the variables, who knows what would have happened in reality. I think they had enough talent and intangibles to have worked their way into the rotation.

That said, Miles really struggled with this, there were several players that could have contributed more than they did but didn't get a chance to play until he had no other choice. I think it's possible that players like that could have had similar situations.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

Mike Daum is the poster child here. He turned into a super star at SDSU. That likely wouldn't have been the result here, but he's still playing overseas. He could have contributed here. Probably in a big way. I think Schierman could have worked his way into a major rotation piece, but when you switch up all the variables, who knows what would have happened in reality. I think they had enough talent and intangibles to have worked their way into the rotation.

That said, Miles really struggled with this, there were several players that could have contributed more than they did but didn't get a chance to play until he had no other choice. I think it's possible that players like that could have had similar situations.

I think one of the lessons here is to get involved in the recruiting process early for the best kids with Nebraska ties.

The last several years have shown that the best Nebraska kids are going to be worthy of Power 6 consideration.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

I think one of the lessons here is to get involved in the recruiting process early for the best kids with Nebraska ties.

The last several years have shown that the best Nebraska kids are going to be worthy of Power 6 consideration.

This might be higher on the qualification list of the next head coach than some might think initially. If there's a candidate that already has inroads in some of those circles, that could be a separator. Miles figured it out probably two years too late. The current (recruiting) coach may or may not have ever figured it out. The next coach needs to figure it out from day one. That said, Loesner seems to have been active in some of the top players in coming classes in the state.

I visited with an ex-husker player who played HS basketball in Nebraska and was a husker while Danny was coach.  The player told a lot of great stories about his teams.

He confided that Danny entrusted him with a significant task.  He was to work with/and against our star player.  Push him and if necessary fight with him to make him better.  I made a longer story short; but what I gathered, was that this Nebraska player was the teams foundational player.  From him, the rest of team was built up.

I see the players mentioned above to be foundational players.  They will work their asses off to make NEBRASKA better.  Look back on a few of our better teams...I bet we all can all spot them.  

7 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Ok, I’ll chime in. I’d trade Lakes or Lat for Frankie Fidler. Just would. I’d trade Verge for Chucky. 
Not sure Jasen Green thrives in the big ten down low or on the wing. 
Bit I’m betting he plays very well and contributes in Greg’s system. 

For sure.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I do have to step in and make some excuses for the Mike Daum recruitment. NAIAs were staying away from Daum. Lots weren't sure of his work ethic or attitude. I watched him in Kimball's third place game with two other coaches. Lots of "mehs..." I have also heard that SDSU wanted him gone after the first year, and then the lightbulb seemed to go on for him in a lot of areas. Along with growing about 2-3" and completely filling out. He is a rare, rare, exception. Obviously would have been a stud here - but (and as much as I hate this excuse) EVERYONE missed on him. 

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I do have to step in and make some excuses for the Mike Daum recruitment. NAIAs were staying away from Daum. Lots weren't sure of his work ethic or attitude. I watched him in Kimball's third place game with two other coaches. Lots of "mehs..." I have also heard that SDSU wanted him gone after the first year, and then the lightbulb seemed to go on for him in a lot of areas. Along with growing about 2-3" and completely filling out. He is a rare, rare, exception. Obviously would have been a stud here - but (and as much as I hate this excuse) EVERYONE missed on him. 

that's fair

Baylor Scheierman absolutely could have played here and I have zero question about that. 

Sam.... dang... I don't know man. Obviously he could step in right NOW and provide better minutes and play a bigger role than half our team - but I think he desperately needed the time and room to grow he got at SDSU. Out of HS, I don't blame any staff's for not going after him to be honest. 

Also - we have the question of whether the Griesel's, Scheierman's, etc... of the world WANT to go to NU, knowing they might have to redshirt, then not actually play until their junior/senior year? Maybe those offers/options were on the table? 

41 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Ok, I’ll chime in. I’d trade Lakes or Lat for Frankie Fidler. Just would. I’d trade Verge for Chucky. 
Not sure Jasen Green thrives in the big ten down low or on the wing. 
Bit I’m betting he plays very well and contributes in Greg’s system. 

Chucky will forever haunt Nebraska basketball. Miles had him in the fold. That was a done deal. But the change was too much for NU to overcome at that time. If he'd been a year younger, I think it could have been a different story. Maybe. Who knows...

7 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Chucky will forever haunt Nebraska basketball. Miles had him in the fold. That was a done deal. But the change was too much for NU to overcome at that time. If he'd been a year younger, I think it could have been a different story. Maybe. Who knows...

Don't you mean a year older?

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would take it a step further and say make it a priority as part of your recruiting strategy. Identify the top 2-3 kids in the state and try to get one each year.