Could Sam Griesel have played on a decent team in the Big Ten?

Norm Peterson

50 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Ok, I’ll chime in. I’d trade Lakes or Lat for Frankie Fidler. Just would. I’d trade Verge for Chucky. 
Not sure Jasen Green thrives in the big ten down low or on the wing. 
Bit I’m betting he plays very well and contributes in Greg’s system. 

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Fidler.   Pretty sure he would have a lot of options if he entered the portal.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Don't you mean a year older?

Nope. A year younger. A year older and he still wouldn't have been on campus when the change was made. A year younger and I think Hoiberg and Co. could have had enough time to build that relationship. The Hepburn camp are on record saying that Hoiberg did everything right, they just didn't have the time to make up the ground.

Griesel was not a good shooter in high school but a pretty good athlete.  To me he was the type of kid that bides his time for a couple years, learns the system and then becomes a contributor off the bench for a Big Ten school like NU.  Scheierman would help us a lot right now.  Good size point that is a great passer and as you said has improved his outside shooting.

42 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Baylor Scheierman absolutely could have played here and I have zero question about that. 

Sam.... dang... I don't know man. Obviously he could step in right NOW and provide better minutes and play a bigger role than half our team - but I think he desperately needed the time and room to grow he got at SDSU. Out of HS, I don't blame any staff's for not going after him to be honest. 

Also - we have the question of whether the Griesel's, Scheierman's, etc... of the world WANT to go to NU, knowing they might have to redshirt, then not actually play until their junior/senior year? Maybe those offers/options were on the table? 

A question for you: Do you think the flood of instate talent the last few years has ebbed with this year's class? I'm not that excited about anybody in 2023 or 2024. I think Dotzler is a solid D1 kid, but he's nowhere near the level of Traudt or Green, for example. I've heard UNO might offer Odvody from Westside. Not sure of anyone else from 2023 getting much notice. Brennon Clemmons maybe? 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
typo

39 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Griesel was not a good shooter in high school but a pretty good athlete.  To me he was the type of kid that bides his time for a couple years, learns the system and then becomes a contributor off the bench for a Big Ten school like NU.  Scheierman would help us a lot right now.  Good size point that is a great passer and as you said has improved his outside shooting.

I watched a bit of the SDSU game against St Thomas over the weekend and I kept thinking "there's no way he would be able to get that shot off against a Big Ten defense".

Great player in the Summit League though.

15 minutes ago, 49r said:

I watched a bit of the SDSU game against St Thomas over the weekend and I kept thinking "there's no way he would be able to get that shot off against a Big Ten defense".

He is such a cerebral player.  He would figure it out without question.  He does just fine when they play power 5 teams including a stepback dagger to beat Washington St. at the gun earlier this year.  If you are the player of the year in the Summit you can easily play in the Big 10.  

22 minutes ago, 49r said:

He’s doing what he has to do at that level.  No doubt the kid would have adapted his shot at this level had he spent all of his time here.

One thing I have noticed is that it’s a lot easier for players to adapt to D1 over the course of a 4 year career than move from a lower level into D1 and adapt right away.  (For the most part… there are excpetions)

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

A question for you: Do you think the flood of instate talent the last few years has ebbed with this year's class? I'm not that excited about anybody in 2023 or 2024. I think Dotzler is a solid D1 kid, but he's nowhere near the level of Traudt or Green, for example. I've heard UNO might offer Odvody from Westside. Not sure of anyone else from 2023 getting much notice. Brennon Clemmons maybe? 

I honestly have no idea. I'm very removed from knowing the who's who of Neb HS at this point. I've heard of the Dotzler kid and see him a little, very nice player. Never seen Clemmons play. Odvody... I don't think he has the athleticism or foot speed but I could be wrong. Can shoot it for sure, and is leading a very good team. 

15 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I honestly have no idea. I'm very removed from knowing the who's who of Neb HS at this point. I've heard of the Dotzler kid and see him a little, very nice player. Never seen Clemmons play. Odvody... I don't think he has the athleticism or foot speed but I could be wrong. Can shoot it for sure, and is leading a very good team. 

Fair enough, agree on both Dotzler and Ovbody. From what I've seen and heard, the 2023 and 2024 classes are down a lot. Kind of ironic that we now seem to be getting interested in instate recruiting. Or not.

I watched the Drake v Loyola game this weekend.  I would love to latch onto the coaches son from Drake.  Shoot, he sort of is the second coming of Bird.  Heck, he likely would be at Creighton if his dad still coached there.

Saint Thomas plays for Loyola.   Did some good things for them.  He is a role player this season 

9 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I watched the Drake v Loyola game this weekend.  I would love to latch onto the coaches son from Drake.  Shoot, he sort of is the second coming of Bird.  Heck, he likely would be at Creighton if his dad still coached there.

Saint Thomas plays for Loyola.   Did some good things for them.  He is a role player this season 

They're high on Saint out there though. Think he has a lot of potential. 

I'm not dialed into Nebraska HS basketball at all, so I'll trust you all on this.

When I think of Nebraska kids who played at a lower level and then transferred to UNL and played really well I think of Andrew Drevo.

He of course benefited greatly from redshirting and played more PF since the teams he played on had several other bigs.

That 2003-2004 season was a real disappointment, as I believed they should have been much better. Lots of Nebraska kids on that team.

The BIG 12 was pretty loaded with MIzzou, KU, TSips, OU, OSU, and ISU. Losing twice to both KSU and CU really hurt us. 

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm not dialed into Nebraska HS basketball at all, so I'll trust you all on this.

When I think of Nebraska kids who played at a lower level and then transferred to UNL and played really well I think of Andrew Drevo.

He of course benefited greatly from redshirting and played more PF since the teams he played on had several other bigs.

That 2003-2004 season was a real disappointment, as I believed they should have been much better. Lots of Nebraska kids on that team.

The BIG 12 was pretty loaded with MIzzou, KU, TSips, OU, OSU, and ISU. Losing twice to both KSU and CU really hurt us. 

I think of Andrew Drevo every day. 

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

That team won in the opener of the N.I.T. at Creighton, I recall it vividly as I had sat in the Bird's Nest (or whatever the student section was called...) at the Qwest Center. Nate Johnson hit a sweet shot to pull out the dub. Great fun. I'm friends with a dude from that team, he would agree that they should've been able to 'dance' as he contends Nate Johnson could have been a regular rotation piece in the NBA. NJ had a roster invite to the Lakers, and he kind of blew it off; and he's been off the radar since that point. Too bad, I loved NJ's game. He was a legit baller.

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That team won in the opener of the N.I.T. at Creighton, I recall it vividly as I had sat in the Bird's Nest (or whatever the student section was called...) at the Qwest Center. Nate Johnson hit a sweet shot to pull out the dub. Great fun. I'm friends with a dude from that team, he would agree that they should've been able to 'dance' as he contends Nate Johnson could have been a regular rotation piece in the NBA. NJ had a roster invite to the Lakers, and he kind of blew it off; and he's been off the radar since that point. Too bad, I loved NJ's game. He was a legit baller.

Nate Johnson is one of my favorite, underrated, and often forgotten players in NU History. 

• hhcmatt changed the title to Could Sam Griesel have played on a decent team in the Big Ten?