Why i'd stick with fred.

FredsSlacks

40 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I'm not saying he's going to win.  I'm just saying making a move next year is much better for the long term picture for Nebraska then making it now.  

Odds are we'll move on after next year (though I do think we'll be better than 7-25).  But we just saved ourselves over $8M and added a Top 25-30ish recruiting class to the roster.   

I'm in general agreement.  We didn't look to be in a position to land any coach with a big enough reputation to turn the needle with respect to creating any instant fan interest; it would be another complete March-April roster rebuild; it would be another 20 loss season in the new guy's first year.  It would not be a great position for someone new to be in.  Whether any of that will change by next year, well, who knows.

12 minutes ago, HB said:

We’ll, you got your wish.   We’ll be awful again next year and then it will be over.  But no one, absolutely no one, will be able to say this guy didn’t get a full chance.  

Maybe so.  But we were going to be awful next year regardless of coach.   At least this gives us a fighting chance with a good recruiting class.   And we save money in the meantime.  

13 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'm really hoping with this new lease on life from Coach is able to make good changes that result in winning. I'd like nothing more than for him to turn it around and be a really successful coach. The past three seasons would suggest otherwise, but I'll continue to hope he bucks the trend.

(And like @nustudent, I'm also excited to see another top 30 recruiting class come in the fold and am hopeful the PG choice they make is a better one than the last one or three)

Good luck.   This system can’t and won’t work in this league.  And we’ll have massive roster turnover again and these new guys aren’t gonna come in and win in this league.   And if Matt A. Comes back (can’t imagine he will), the disaster will continue.  

8 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Maybe so.  But we were going to be awful next year regardless of coach.   At least this gives us a fighting chance with a good recruiting class.   And we save money in the meantime.  

People are so overrating this recruiting class.  Not that good.  

48 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So we are just kicking the can down the road….  If we aren’t confident he can turn it around next year why keep him?  Sure it saves money 1 season but the fan base is already turning away and I’m not sure how much longer they will come?  Will they completely lose interest. I know for myself it’s gonna be a tough decision on whether to renew my tickets next year or not and I’m a huge fan..  The excitement of the new arena is drying up and now we can’t win any games.  It just sucks!

Because firing him right now puts the athletic department in a position where putting any money into hiring a new basketball coach is going to get weighed against using it to hire Frosts potential replacement. So waiting until after the decision to fire or keep Frost is made means that if Fred is still in the same position next year, the maximum amount of resources can go towards hiring a new basketball coach.

Plus it removes any possible doubts and any narrative from espin that we fired him after just 3 seasons. The stuff I said about each season so far? Easily works on a bullet point next to a talking head vomiting out the old Nebraska fans fire coaches too soon narrative... which would actually have been true, again.

2 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Because firing him right now puts the athletic department in a position where putting any money into hiring a new basketball coach is going to get weighed against using it to hire Frosts potential replacement. So waiting until after the decision to fire or keep Frost is made means that if Fred is still in the same position next year, the maximum amount of resources can go towards hiring a new basketball coach.

Plus it removes any possible doubts and any narrative from espin that we fired him after just 3 seasons. The stuff I said about each season so far? Easily works on a bullet point next to a talking head vomiting out the old Nebraska fans fire coaches too soon narrative... which would actually have been true, again.

Wouldn’t have been remotely true, but keep on believin’

Just now, nustudent said:

Maybe it won’t be.  On paper it’s good for us historically.   I’ll take that over the alternative of trying to reach to build a roster over 3 weeks in April again. 

We’re gonna be building it again this April.  Massive turnover again.  New guys aren’t gonna come in and win in this league.  

1 minute ago, HB said:

Recruit magic.  Been listening to that for 3 years on here.  Worst power 6 team in the country.   Every facet of the program is terrible.  Staff, culture, players.  But carry on, enjoy.  

Maybe so.  Not saying a lot of that isn’t true.   But id still rather have the recruits we appear to have than scramble 

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Maybe so.  Not saying a lot of that isn’t true.   But id still rather have the recruits we appear to have than scramble 

I don't have the energy to dig into what the NCAA landscape actually looks like, but you've been harping a lot on keeping Hoiberg around at least another year, at the very least to lock in some of his recruits.

I'm just curious what typical attrition looks like with changes in coaches, let along year-over-year attrition in this new NCAA environment.

Is it something to really hang your hat on that they'll stick around? (I don't know.)

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't have the energy to dig into what the NCAA landscape actually looks like, but you've been harping a lot on keeping Hoiberg around at least another year, at the very least to lock in some of his recruits.

I'm just curious what typical attrition looks like with changes in coaches, let along year-over-year attrition in this new NCAA environment.

Is it something to really hang your hat on that they'll stick around? (I don't know.)

All I’m saying is if you fire him before these guys get to campus, you’ll never see them.   If you give him a shot next year, maybe he succeeds.  Probably not.  But at least the next guy has a better core to start with so the next guy isn’t walking into the same situation Hoiberg did.