Why i'd stick with fred.

FredsSlacks

8 minutes ago, nustudent said:

He did.  But you're going to have a hard time convincing me that was 100% Frost's choice.   I know the public coach speak comments from Frost and Alberts indicate as such...but I think that was as much Frost saving his own neck rather than some noble move and actually seeing the issue.

And I think Hoiberg should be allowed to do the same.

You should have used your HHC wish to ask for infinite wishes or at the very least one of those vintage big 8 jackets

This is going to fall on deaf ears given we now know that Fred is here next season.

Do I think Fred has the potential to catch fire and somehow create a competitive team? Yes. But that's HEAVILY reliant upon getting guys in who can shoot 45-50% FG and 35-40% 3P. Is it likely (especially from what we've seen in 3 seasons)? No. But there's a chance. (I'm not putting money on it.)

My stance this 2nd half of the season was "this is a financial decision, if Trev looks at the books and feels it's appropriate, then I'll support him in that, if it's not financially sound, I'll support him in that. Could never say the same with Moos." I'm kind of wondering based on today's news if it really wasn't strictly a financial decision though.

I guess it's good timing for Trev and Hoiberg to squash any talk of moving on. And maybe that's just how Trev handles things. If so, it's kind of nice to have some leadership in the AD now.

12 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Good.  It's the right choice.

Worst case scenario...we fail again, which we'd do with a new coach anyways, and fire Hoiberg...saving $7.5M and bringing in some talent that looks good on paper that we could theoretically keep.  

Best case scenario....the talent pans out.

I hope you're right. He definitely needs to find someone(s) to add to this staff who can shore up his areas of deficiency.

6 minutes ago, throwback said:

I hope you're right. He definitely needs to find someone(s) to add to this staff who can shore up his areas of deficiency.

I'm not saying he's going to win.  I'm just saying making a move next year is much better for the long term picture for Nebraska then making it now.  

Odds are we'll move on after next year (though I do think we'll be better than 7-25).  But we just saved ourselves over $8M and added a Top 25-30ish recruiting class to the roster.   

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I'm not saying he's going to win.  I'm just saying making a move next year is much better for the long term picture for Nebraska then making it now.  

Odds are we'll move on after next year (though I do think we'll be better than 7-25).  But we just saved ourselves over $8M and added a Top 25-30ish recruiting class to the roster.   

I hope you're right too. But the way I read it its 4M. And if we do make a change next year the odds are slim those recruits stay.

Its a punt. And sometimes thats the best move.

Edited by cornfed24-7

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

So we are just kicking the can down the road….  If we aren’t confident he can turn it around next year why keep him?  Sure it saves money 1 season but the fan base is already turning away and I’m not sure how much longer they will come?  Will they completely lose interest. I know for myself it’s gonna be a tough decision on whether to renew my tickets next year or not and I’m a huge fan..  The excitement of the new arena is drying up and now we can’t win any games.  It just sucks!

5 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So we are just kicking the can down the road….  If we aren’t confident he can turn it around next year why keep him?  Sure it saves money 1 season but the fan base is already turning away and I’m not sure how much longer they will come?  Will they completely lose interest. I know for myself it’s gonna be a tough decision on whether to renew my tickets next year or not and I’m a huge fan..  The excitement of the new arena is drying up and now we can’t win any games.  It just sucks!

It really depends on what non-contract changes will be made. If we don't make changes, it sounds like if you're on the fence you shouldn't buy season tickets which is probably the first time I've typed that on here.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

This is a surprising stance that @nustudent is taking on the Fred issue.  Surprising to me at least.

Well, he was optimistic about the Barry Collier era 4 years into it; so it's not completely out of character.

(One of the downsides of keeping the same screen name for 18 years is that some things like that are still remembered.)

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

He did.  But you're going to have a hard time convincing me that was 100% Frost's choice.   I know the public coach speak comments from Frost and Alberts indicate as such...but I think that was as much Frost saving his own neck rather than some noble move and actually seeing the issue.

And I think Hoiberg should be allowed to do the same.

We’ll, you got your wish.   We’ll be awful again next year and then it will be over.  But no one, absolutely no one, will be able to say this guy didn’t get a full chance.  

I'm really hoping with this new lease on life from Coach is able to make good changes that result in winning. I'd like nothing more than for him to turn it around and be a really successful coach. The past three seasons would suggest otherwise, but I'll continue to hope he bucks the trend.

(And like @nustudent, I'm also excited to see another top 30 recruiting class come in the fold and am hopeful the PG choice they make is a better one than the last one or three)