Coach Love

Merlin

first, i will make clear that i have no inside info as to what is going on here.  I do have experience having handled such matters in my pre-retirement work. From that I would surmise (and that's all it is) that AS's departure from the team was of her own choosing  - that she voluntarily left the team on her own initiative (have i been sufficiently repetitive).  I don't think that there is sufficient reason to suspect a set up.  Somehow, whatever was between the coach and the player, if anything, came to light.  There are a hundred ways this could have happened.  In the words of one of my fave writers .... "There are cracks in everything .... that's how the light gets in"

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That’s just how I read Karl Hess’ post.  I do t have any inside knowledge.  Just want to throw that disclaimer in there.

Gotcha.  Operated on that assumption but what a way it would be to bring the truth to light.  Not that there are much better alternatives.

14 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

What a mess. And Coach Love, if involved with a player, probably no way he spins it as consensual as he is in a higher authority position as a coach…wow, just wow

If true...he's more than likely done here ......and will have a problem getting a coaching job anywhere.  Has wife and three kids.

.... what a huge.... sad ... mess.

Edited by redsteve

yes, a tragic situation for all involved.  and some who WEREN'T involved at all. ADTA comes immediately to mind. If (and noting the hypothetical) the situation is what many reasonably suspect it to be, ADTA and the UNL even higher ups will have to decide, in parting ways with CL, whether to take on the legal burden of showing cause to fire w/o compensation vs negotiated settlement - aka buy out.  On the one hand buying out a coach who (if he did) behaved in such a way as bring shame on the program leaves a bad taste and terrible public perception. But on the other hand, a legal battle fought out in the light of day could expose all sorts of sordid accounts, facts and allegations for all to see. UNL has to be sensitive to the effect upon a student athlete of having details become public.  Accompanying question: does the student athlete have a case against UNL?  (failure to adequately supervise its agent) And if so, would her case be strengthened as a byproduct of UNL making its case against CL public.  And there are coaches of other women's teams to whom UNL will have to emphasize the importance of making sure no such circumstances exist in their programs - lest others come to light which the athletic dept should have been concerned about given the current one.  The lives of many totally innocent people can be complicated as a result of this.  And will there be an effect on recruiting?  Oh what a tangled mess! 

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

This is a tragic situation for all involved.

For sure.  And the collateral damage is we lost a player that is a good dribbler and a really good shooter.  As alluded that is peripheral compared to the real issue.  We have other good guards that will hopefully step up.

27 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

For sure.  And the collateral damage is we lost a player that is a good dribbler and a really good shooter.  As alluded that is peripheral compared to the real issue.  We have other good guards that will hopefully step up.

Porter, Cayton and Moriarity have a chance to step up.  But this is a sad situation.

34 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

yes, a tragic situation for all involved.  and some who WEREN'T involved at all. ADTA comes immediately to mind. If (and noting the hypothetical) the situation is what many reasonably suspect it to be, ADTA and the UNL even higher ups will have to decide, in parting ways with CL, whether to take on the legal burden of showing cause to fire w/o compensation vs negotiated settlement - aka buy out.  On the one hand buying out a coach who (if he did) behaved in such a way as bring shame on the program leaves a bad taste and terrible public perception. But on the other hand, a legal battle fought out in the light of day could expose all sorts of sordid accounts, facts and allegations for all to see. UNL has to be sensitive to the effect upon a student athlete of having details become public.  Accompanying question: does the student athlete have a case against UNL?  (failure to adequately supervise its agent) And if so, would her case be strengthened as a byproduct of UNL making its case against CL public.  And there are coaches of other women's teams to whom UNL will have to emphasize the importance of making sure no such circumstances exist in their programs - lest others come to light which the athletic dept should have been concerned about given the current one.  The lives of many totally innocent people can be complicated as a result of this.  And will there be an effect on recruiting?  Oh what a tangled mess! 

You raise good, relevant points that I had not yet considered.  

Dear Penthouse:

Since college coaches weren't going to get a chance to see her play, she decided to start reaching out to them directly. She sent more than 100 emails to college coaches, including one on a Saturday night to Nebraska Assistant Coach Chuck Love.

Coach Love responded within five minutes by text. He and Scoggin talked for about 90 minutes that night in April. Soon after, the Huskers offered her a scholarship. On May 2, she signed her letter of intent. On May 19, she was in Lincoln taking classes and preparing for voluntary workouts.

To be continued...

To be considered:

Have been involved in corporate hiring and firing, and the appropriate lawyers involved... over the years....

Coach Love almost undoubtedly has an employment contract.

Contractually there can be "conduct" clauses that govern how something like this (if it is proven) gets resolved, financially and otherwise. It would be surprising if UNL or any other educational system these days, doesn't have such a contract clause. (You're in many cases, working with minors. If one is a minor in cases like this, it can become criminal.) 

Alberts probably is conducting an investigation as we speak, and will turn over his findings/recommendations to the next step up the UNL organizational ladder, and university lawyers are involved from the start.  If the speculation, that is all over the national news this morning is true, then Alberts probably will make the appropriate decisions quickly.  Even if consensual, it may not matter.

On this one the school must be on the correct side contractually / legally.

Coach Amy, probably has discussed with the team a lot, that this in now out of our hands (as a team) and we must move on, even given the circumstances. 

AD Alberts probably at some point, has/will similarly discuss it with the team to, to clarify what has happened and the universities position. All in an effort to clear their minds. These kids are young, at 18, 19, 20....... this experience is difficult to think about and understand. 

Edited by redsteve

totally agree with Red Steve.  There is no doubt that CL and UNL have an employment contract and that contract has a conduct/behavior clause. The tricky/awkward/delicate part will be proving that the clause was violated (if it was) without bringing emotional harm and humiliation to the student athlete. That's what makes this different than a corporate firing case. 

2 hours ago, Merlin said:

Source?

Lincoln Journal Star today.

This was the first game since Saturday’s news that associate head coach Chuck Love and starting guard Ashley Scoggin are no longer with the team.

Love was suspended with pay for a "personnel matter" and isn’t expected back. Scoggin was removed from the roster

i believe it was Sam's column i was reading where he stated there is a good chance AS will give her side of the story on her tuesday radio show. i was rather surprised by this. if there is an investigation going on, i think AS would be given the advice of not to say anything until the investigation is complete. also, kinda surprised to hear she still has the radio show. i'm not gonna go outta my way to listen......i might if i have nothing else going on. if she would happen to talk, i'm sure it will be all over the media anyway and can read about it there.

Edited by whoopdeedoo