uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 26 - vs. Maryland

uneblinstu

Bryce McGowens having a historically good season while Nebraska has a historically bad season.

Nebraska Post-Game Notes 

• Bryce McGowens scored a game-high 25 points for his ninth 20-point game of the season. McGowens’ nine 20-point games are just one shy of the most 20-point games by a freshman in Nebraska history (Joe McCray, 10 in 2004-05). The scoring effort also marked McGowens’ fourth game of the season with at least 25 points. 
  • McGowens was 14-of-15 from the free throw line. His 14 free throws matched his career high, as he also had 14 free throws on 18 attempts against Rutgers on Jan. 29. 
  • McGowens now has 437 points, which is second on NU’s all-time freshmen list, as he passed Joe McCray (432, 2004-05). He trails only Dave Hoppen (445, 1982-83) on NU’s all-time freshman list.   
  • Alonzo Verge Jr. scored 14 points and added five rebounds and five assists. Verge scored in double figures for the 18th time this season. 
  • C.J. Wilcher chipped in 10 points, his 10th game in double figures this season. It marked the 17th double-figure game from a Husker bench player this season.  
  • The Huskers out-rebounded Maryland 34-33, marking just the third time this season and second time in Big Ten play that Nebraska has out-rebounded its opponent. 
  • Nebraska was 25-of-31 from the free throw line. The Huskers’ 25 made free throws were their most in a Big Ten game this season and were one shy of Nebraska’s overall season high of 26 free throws against Sam Houston on Nov. 21. 
  • Maryland’s 24 made free throws tied for the most free throws by an opposing team at Pinnacle Bank Arena, while the Terrapins’ 33 free throw attempts were the most by an opponent at PBA. Wisconsin held the previous records with 24 free throws on 31 attempts against the Huskers at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Feb. 10, 2015. 
  • Maryland committed just four turnovers, a low by a Husker opponent this year (previous low was 8 by Auburn). NU entered the game ranking second in the Big Ten by forcing 14.4 turnovers per game.  

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg

On Nebraska’s second-half start
“Yeah that is where we lost the game in those first few minutes of the second half. I think they went on a 12-3 run. You have to come out with that fire and energy and try and grab the momentum when it is a tight game. I thought we did some really good things offensively in the first half, and when they go on their run that’s when we come down and try to get it back. It’s been several times now that we had control, and then they come out in the second half and completely take the momentum back.”

On how Maryland was successful in the second half
“It was turnovers and our misses at the rim. In those two areas, they converted almost every time. When we turned it over, they converted on the other end. Shots at the rim which we missed several of, they got us on the other end as well. Those are two areas that they used to extend their lead.”

Nebraska Guard Bryce McGowens
On the difference between the first and second half
“I feel like we did not come out with a lot of energy on the defensive end, and they just got rolling.”

On if the number of foul calls affected their rhythm
“I would not say that the fouls took us out of rhythm. It was a very physical game today, and I feel like a lot of turnovers on our end got us out of rhythm.”

On getting to the line 15 times
“I just felt like I could get downhill, draw fouls and try to put some points on the board. I was just trying to get us rolling.”

Maryland Interim Head Coach Danny Manning 

Opening Statement 

“Obviously any time you can go on the road in this conference and get a win it is always rewarding just because it is so hard to come by. I thought our guys did a really good job initially feeding the ball inside to our big guys. I thought they established themselves scoring the basketball and giving us a really good post presence. The one thing that I was shocked by to be honest was when the game was over we only had four turnovers. We know Nebraska leads the league in forced turnovers with how they pressure the basketball and the pace that they play at so for us to take care of the ball against that type of pressure was really good for us. We had a lot of guys score the ball for us which is always good. I think our bigs set the tone early. Not a lot of time to celebrate the win because we have a quick turnaround and play again on Monday.” 

On senior guard Eric Ayala 

“Just his presence. It is another guy who is used to extended minutes for us. He did not have a great game in terms of scoring the basketball. He is our leading scorer, but his presence down the stretch against their press making sure we got the ball to the right guys was really big for us because he was a calming factor for us because we kind of lost our focus for about two to three minutes span. Picked up a technical foul and we were not as disciplined defensively playing defense with our head up and our feet. Having him out there settled us down. Always nice to get your leading scorer back, but also a veteran presence with a lot of experience.” 

Very physical game - refs let lots of shoving go uncalled early in the game and by the time it was over they had completely lost control.   Don't understand at all how the Maryland kid was not ejected for shoving Bryce.   That to me was clearly worse than what got Mayan ejected earlier this year.    But again by then the refs had simply lost control of the game.

I think Maryland's plan was to be physical with Bryce from the beginning to make him uncomfortable and take him out of the game.   I do think Bryce did a good job of not backing down and continuing to try to be aggressive.   Obviously sent him to the line alot and he got a bunch of points that way.  But he remains a very inefficient volume scorer and at least to some extent I think that strategy worked for Maryland.  

Another depressing game overall.   Can't ever remember a Husker basketball season that I was anxious to be over - but that is the case this year.    

3 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

That was probably one of the ugliest games I've ever watched. It's up there with the NW senior night one when they couldn't make any FTs. 

4 games left+ big ten tourney. It's almost over folks

Any chance something could hit the team before the tournament and we have to sit it out? 

People should listen to FH post game with Kent and Jake and then listen to FH and player(s) post game where reporters are asking questions.

Bryce answered questions for about 2min then left. He looked defeated.

One thing you get while listening to FH is that he can answer all questions related game STATS and he fully grasps specific areas that impacted the game.

FH started leave but Jimmy asked another question and so he came back.

Who is Jimmy in the press corp? FH, when saying his name sounds like he scolding him.

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

People should listen to FH post game with Kent and Jake and then listen to FH and player(s) post game where reporters are asking questions.

Bryce answered questions for about 2min then left. He looked defeated.

One thing you get while listening to FH is that he can answer all questions related game STATS and he fully grasps specific areas that impacted the game.

FH started leave but Jimmy asked another question and so he came back.

Who is Jimmy in the press corp? FH, when saying his name sounds like he scolding him.

Jimmy Watkins from the owh. Fred, for some unknown reason to me, seems to loathe him. Anytime he asks a question Fred has a one-word response or basically doesn’t answer the question. And sounds so pissed/annoyed while answering. It’s wild. 

And I know it had no bearing on the outcome but why did Bryce only get 2 ft's after the tech on Maryland? Even if he wasn't shooting when he got fouled NU was in the bonus. Shouldn't he have gotten at least 1 and 1 for the common foul then the 2 for the technical? 

And oh yeah, it was bad basketball and it didn't take long to get tired of female Maryland sitting a little behind me fan shrieking after almost every Maryland made basket.

Edited by roscoe

I agree that it was one of the uglier games of an ugly year. It was the first game I taped that caused me to fast forward to the inevitable special -end- of- the- game highlight where our opponent just mercy-dribbles out the clock to avoid any extra humiliation for us. And let's not forget to add Danny Manning's name to the list of possible replacements for Fred right next to Tom Crean. 

1 hour ago, roscoe said:

And I know it had no bearing on the outcome but why did Bryce only get 2 ft's after the tech on Maryland? Even if he wasn't shooting when he got fouled NU was in the bonus. Shouldn't he have gotten at least 1 and 1 for the common foul then the 2 for the technical? 

And oh yeah, it was bad basketball and it didn't take long to get tired of female Maryland sitting a little behind me fan shrieking after almost every Maryland made basket.

Yeah, the idiotic refs forgot that it was 1-and-1. No doubt that Reeves should have been ejected. That was R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S. Total clown show...

Nebraska should have had 5 (or 6) FTs plus the ball. It could have been a nine-point possession. But, alas, it was the 2 tech FTs. That simple stupid blown call cost NU the possibility of at least getting back within striking distance. Of course, the biggest problem NU has is defensive toughness.

Teams gather offensive rebounds at their most advantageous timing, even though NU outrebounded MD 34-33, which is the only the 3rd time all season that NU has outrebounded a team. Unbelievable how soft NU seems to be in 2021-22.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, the idiotic refs forgot that it was 1-and-1. No doubt that Reeves should have been ejected. That was R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S. Total clown show...

Nebraska should have had 5 (or 6) FTs plus the ball. It could have been a nine-point possession. But, alas, it was the 2 tech FTs. That simple stupid blown call cost NU the possibility of at least getting back within striking distance. Of course, the biggest problem NU has is defensive toughness.

Teams gather offensive rebounds at their most advantageous timing, even though NU outrebounded MD 34-33, which is the only the 3rd time all season that NU has outrebounded a team. Unbelievable how soft NU seems to be in 2021-22.

It appears the dude pushed Bryce rather than swing at him.  That is my assumption.   I questioned why no free throws as well because the original foul appeared to be on the shot, not the drive.

Overall I thought it was poorly officiated.  For the life of me I will never understand ticky tack fouls on the perimeter while a big can bang into the defender with all his force and not be called for a foul.

Edited by Huskerpapa