B1G Media Rights

49r

3 hours ago, 49r said:

The upshot is we appear to be on the cusp of seeing a $20 million+ ANNUAL raise in just our media rights fees.  One would think we could make an $18.5 million buyout happen if necessary.

Sorry, I misspoke.  It's looking like a $40 million+ annual raise in media rights fees.  One year of that easily covers both Fred and Scott (if necessary)

3 hours ago, 49r said:

This is a Maryland Terps dude, but this seems....relevant....

...and this is the Sports Business Journal article he's referencing:

As much as I can tag on FOX and BTN, if we shifted to ESPN that could dilute the product a lot, if handled improperly.

The last thing I want to do is watch a bad Nebraska basketball team on ESPN+ that has no pregame/halftime/postgame coverage, every game is on ESPN+ (we're so fortunate to watch our games on cable without having to pay and download BTN+), minimal staff at games for the camera crew and coverage, and subpar announcing.

It could be great for the Michigan States of the Big Ten though.

7 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

As much as I can tag on FOX and BTN, if we shifted to ESPN that could dilute the product a lot, if handled improperly.

The last thing I want to do is watch a bad Nebraska basketball team on ESPN+ that has no pregame/halftime/postgame coverage, every game is on ESPN+ (we're so fortunate to watch our games on cable without having to pay and download BTN+), minimal staff at games for the camera crew and coverage, and subpar announcing.

It could be great for the Michigan States of the Big Ten though.

I think you are mis-reading it.  He's saying that the Big Ten is going to let ESPN's exclusive negotiating window expire, meaning they want to open up the bidding process to other providers.  (CBS, NBC, Amazon, etc.)

Stewart Mandel also weighs in:

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think you are mis-reading it.  He's saying that the Big Ten is going to let ESPN's exclusive negotiating window expire, meaning they want to open up the bidding process to other providers.  (CBS, NBC, Amazon, etc.)

Thanks for the clarification. So ESPN basically had "first rights to say yes or no" to a deal if the Big Ten was outsourcing?

39 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Thanks for the clarification. So ESPN basically had "first rights to say yes or no" to a deal if the Big Ten was outsourcing?

It's more the other way around, but yes, ESPN has an exclusive negotiating window with the Big Ten and if the parties agree to a contract during that window, then no other companies can submit a bid.  What they are saying is it looks like Kevin Warren is going to let that window expire without coming to an agreement, therefore opening up bidding to everyone.

On one hand it looks like the Big Ten wants the broadcasters to start a bidding war, driving up the value of the media contract, and that is probably a big part of it...but on the other hand it seems like they are continuing to divorce themselves from ESPN, probably because ESPN has too much perceived power driving sports public opinion (and that seems to be apparent with the constant ESPN narrative that the SEC is head and shoulders above everyone else in all sports, particularly in football).  For example, the SEC recently renewed their deal with ESPN during their exclusive rights negotiating window.  They are very much in bed together, and it is not good for the Big Ten to try and share a media partner with their biggest rival.  Especially when that rival is undoubtedly priority #1 with said media partner.

My personal ideal would be to see the Big Ten go with CBS/Paramount exclusively, but with Fox owning 51% of BTN I'm not sure how possible that is.  We may see multiple partners in this next deal.  But whatever happens I am almost certain the increase in media rights will blow most folks' minds at how much bigger it will be.

So, long story short, don't expect to find Big Ten regular season games on ESPN in the future.

What has become very apparent over the past 9 months or so is the Big Ten and to a lesser extent Pac-12, and even lesser still the ACC and potentially the Big 12 in the coming years are really trying to break the stranglehold on college sports that ESPN/SEC/CFP currently have.  Hopefully they can, because as it is now, college sports has become pretty boring and predictable (and not much fun for fans of any teams not named Alabama).

Edited by 49r

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

They are very much in bed together, and it is not good for the Big Ten to try and share a media partner with their biggest rival.  Especially when that rival is undoubtedly priority #1 with said media partner.

Not to mention that ESPN already covers the following on ESPN+ (so where do you really even stack in an oversaturated provider if they don't want to put the effort into you?):

• A10
  • AAC
  • ACC
  • AEC
  • ASUN
  • Big 12
  • Big South
  • Big Sky
  • Big West
  • CIAA
  • C-USA
  • Horizon League
  • Ivy League
  • MAAC
  • MAC
  • MEAC
  • Missouri Valley
  • Ohio Valley
  • Patriot League
  • SEC
  • SIAC
  • Southland
  • Summit League
  • Sun Belt
  • SWAC
  • WAC

58 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Not to mention that ESPN already covers the following on ESPN+ (so where do you really even stack in an oversaturated provider if they don't want to put the effort into you?):

• A10
  • AAC
  • ACC
  • AEC
  • ASUN
  • Big 12
  • Big South
  • Big Sky
  • Big West
  • CIAA
  • C-USA
  • Horizon League
  • Ivy League
  • MAAC
  • MAC
  • MEAC
  • Missouri Valley
  • Ohio Valley
  • Patriot League
  • SEC
  • SIAC
  • Southland
  • Summit League
  • Sun Belt
  • SWAC
  • WAC

Plus:

• MLS
  • USL Championship and USL1
  • US Open Cup
  • EFL Championship
  • LaLiga
  • Bundesliga
  • Scottish Premier League
  • Australian A League
  • All major tennis tournaments and most golf majors
  • Canadian Curling championships
  • New Zealand cricket (national and club)
  • West Indies cricket
  • Pro Kabbadi League
  • UFC

and a whole crapload more I can't remember off the top of my head.  But yeah I do appreciate being able to catch any Summit League game I want, that's nice.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

Bundesliga

I used to really enjoy watching the Bundesliga pre and post games on FS1/2 on Sunday mornings. Ever since ESPN took the contract, they shoved them on ESPN+, took away all of that, and it really just diminishes the overall product and commoditized it.

Sure, so do like the extra matches you can watch now, but the Bundesliga product in the US really dropped off and they have far less control over that now.

My point, beyond posting this outside of the MLS/soccer thread (:lol:) is that having control over your product and overall brand is essential in today's saturated market. Nobody is going to care as much about the product as you are and putting it in the hands of the wrong investor can diminish that.

It sounds like @49r and I are basically pointing out the same thing. It would be interesting to see how some other entity would try to compete with that ESPN/SEC narrative.

28 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It sounds like @49r and I are basically pointing out the same thing. It would be interesting to see how some other entity would try to compete with that ESPN/SEC narrative.

I think so too, and I've been writing all this while watching the New Zealand cricket match on ESPN+

But let's not bury the lede here.  The important story is we are apparently about to see a pretty massive windfall from our new media rights package, so we shouldn't be to bothered by a large buyout, if we do indeed think it is necessary to move on from Fred.

Maybe it would be prudent to split the media rights conversation off and move it to the Official media thread?

I said it in the Hot Seat thread and I'll say it here.  We're about to see our media rights double if not more.  Large contract buyouts may not be as big of a hurdle as some may think vis-a-vis the decision to move on from underperforming coaches.

I will add here that if NBC gets the contract, then get ready to pony up for that subscription to peacock because that's where all our games will be.  Same goes for CBS/Paramount+ or ESPN/ESPN+. Fox doesn't have a "value-added" steaming-only option (unless you want to count Hulu and I suppose you might but they don't park any sports there...yet)

Even if we are "flush with cash" I still believe Fred returns next year for one more chance to right the ship. Most folks on here have already made up their mind on this so I won't belabor the point. But until Football is on more stable footing, whatever Alberts deems that to be, Fred I believe will be our Basketball Coach...

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

Even if we are "flush with cash" I still believe Fred returns next year for one more chance to right the ship. Most folks on here have already made up their mind on this so I won't belabor the point. But until Football is on more stable footing, whatever Alberts deems that to be, Fred I believe will be our Basketball Coach...

I hear you.  For me I think it's 50-50 that Trev moves on from Fred (but that's likely contingent on if any donors want to pony up some cash to do something different *cough* Neal Hawks *cough*).  I have no strong opinion one way or another if we will/should keep him around next season.

6 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Completely agree, Handy.  The only way Fred is not head coach at NU next year is if he chooses so.  Fix football and then move on. The only wrench in this is if Alberts has his man and it has to happen now.  

11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

He doesn't deserve another year but most likely will get one more chance.  We are stuck seeing if this can be turned around or not.