PENN STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Player development has been lacking with the current staff.

Based on 30 minutes. (pts./rebs)

Hannah Whitish soph. 12.1/3.8 sr. 8.9/3.3

Nicea Elily fr. 9.3/4.5  sr. 8.9/3.3

Ashtyn Verbeek fr. 14.2/10.5 so. 9.9/6.1 then left

Kayla Mershon fr. 5.5/5.2 so. 4.1/6.4 then left

Liegha Brown fr. 15.2/4.1 so. 16.7/3.9 then left

This is what people do not understand.  Players do not develop during the season.  In season it's game plans, execution and getting into playing shape.  They develop on the off season ( strength, conditioning, drilling, pickup games, develop new skills that stuff is all done in the off season).  In the past I think we have had problems with personality and with with fit etc. etc.  I think we have finally got the right mix to really develop and get really good.  I really do believe we're finally on the correct track. Coley, Moriarty, Weidner are a much better brand of length and athleticism than we've had in the past, which gives me a great deal more hope.  Miss Brown being the exception to that.

I do worry that we focus  too much on the 3 pt. shot.  Shooting extends defense, but I'd rather have boxing out, playing through contact, defensive foot work, jumping passing lanes, crashing the offensive glass, finishing with the left hand as opposed to just the shot.

We need to look at development as more than extending shooting out.

We have a lot of great coaches in the Big Ten.  Part of development is staying one step ahead of the competition.  We have had many freshmen play well their first year.  In their second and beyond years the other teams now have film on them and look to exploit their weaknesses.  I think the competition level is also up this year in conference.  

I am hearing way too much about people;s focus on individuals.  If you wish to compare statistics, May I remind you that the game is a TEAM sport.  If you compare team results we have improved overall in almost ALL categories year-to-year especially in comparing last year to this year.  For example:   Record 19-7 versus 13-13,   Scoring 78.2 versus 69.5,   Scoring defense 62.5 versus 70.2,  Rebounds 43.2 versus 39.3,    Opponents rebounds 36.0 versus 39.0,   Assists 17.5 versus 15.1,   Opponents Assists 11.5 versus 14.5 and   Steals 7.5 versus 4.6.  Coaches and players are focused upon TEAM results. I  agree that we have areas for improvement, especially turnovers and and occassional lapses with lazy passes.  Armchair coaches criticize and focus primarily on individual performance.  Let's stop looking for things to be critical about and get behind our TEAM and coaches who  are doing an outstanding job.  This from a fan who has been atttening games as a season ticket-holder for the last 20 years.

Have mentioned it before...

Stewart and Markowski are about tied with the highest points per minute played. 

Markowski is playing more minutes than Stewart, probably because of her high scoring %, rebounding skills and general dominance in the lane. We haven't had one like her for a while. 

But Stewart has improved in the lane this year.  And she can shoot the 3 obviously.

Anyway..

When your low post layers become more proficient, it naturally has an affect on other positions. Guards won't get as many opportunities.  But the  guards must increase (or at least maintain) ..their pts per min (efficiency)., for the team to be more successful.

For us to get over the current hump we're in, it could follow that the guards (and the 4) become more dominate in their part of the game. Most of the time we are, but not so much the last game. 

A lot of it has to do with how we're being played now....presses and zone defenses. Makes it tough for the 1s, 2s, and 3s

Minnesota...., I see as being the toughest of the final three games. They have three that can score. They have some games where they can play pretty well. Especially lately.  (thought that before the PSU game...boy was I wrong about PSU.

Marshon is playing about 10 mins/game for what ever it's worth.  Glad it's it's a home game. 

The lose to PSU will do everything for the girls to focus and be ready for Minn. But they must be from here on out. 

1 hour ago, Husker Harry said:

I am hearing way too much about people;s focus on individuals.  If you wish to compare statistics, May I remind you that the game is a TEAM sport.  If you compare team results we have improved overall in almost ALL categories year-to-year especially in comparing last year to this year.  For example:   Record 19-7 versus 13-13,   Scoring 78.2 versus 69.5,   Scoring defense 62.5 versus 70.2,  Rebounds 43.2 versus 39.3,    Opponents rebounds 36.0 versus 39.0,   Assists 17.5 versus 15.1,   Opponents Assists 11.5 versus 14.5 and   Steals 7.5 versus 4.6.  Coaches and players are focused upon TEAM results. I  agree that we have areas for improvement, especially turnovers and and occassional lapses with lazy passes.  Armchair coaches criticize and focus primarily on individual performance.  Let's stop looking for things to be critical about and get behind our TEAM and coaches who  are doing an outstanding job.  This from a fan who has been atttening games as a season ticket-holder for the last 20 years.

First thing, I've enjoyed this season.  Compared to most everything else Husker, WBB more than holds their own.

Regarding comparing this year to last?  Not sure any season can be compared to the Covid year.  Using words like "outstanding" and "great" in some of these posts has me a bit stumped.  We started non-conference with a 11 - 0 record.  Understandable.  The SOS was rated 165th.  But, we are 8-7 since. (I think)   Again, understandable.  The B1G is tough.  We are having a good year.   But, I think the superlatives should be reserved for truly "outstanding" or "great" performances and seasons.     

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

It will be a tough go for the girls to be totally focused on BB for Minnesota with events revealed today. 

I tend to agree.  But hopefully it will have the contrary effect and have them zeroed in on the game to help take their minds off of (at least somewhat) the events/circumstances of the last few days.  GBR!

Edited by mwm89