Next Nebraska basketball coach

kldm64

Who is our coach next season  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Fred gets let go, who would you hire as our next head coach?

• Chris Mack
    • Tom Crean
    • Mark Turgeon
    • Jeff Capel
    • Rick Pitino
    • Porter Moser
    • Jeff Boals
    • Dennis Gates
    • Isaac Brown
    • Tommy Amaker
    • None of the above

Just now, hhcmatt said:

It'd help if we ran slower but doesn't it seem more like we have an execution problem than a scheme problem?  Brad Underwood being too aggressive defensively his first two years was a scheme issue.

Yes I agree.  Then again, sometimes players are incapable of understanding or running the scheme so sometimes it is a little murky.

During the last game the announcer said Fred must have a thick playbook.  His reference came after a set play coming out of a timeout.  I mention this because so often our offense appears to rely on an hero ball early in the shot clock.

Right players, right scheme, hustle, care...a lot needs fixing😫

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It'd help if we ran slower but doesn't it seem more like we have an execution problem than a scheme problem?  Brad Underwood being too aggressive defensively his first two years was a scheme issue.

This is something I've pondered a bit lately myself. System/scheme wise, you can win with most any scheme. Just need the guys to execute it. I personally think they're falling short in the execution, which is why there's a mess on offense often. 

Now, scheme wise, can it fit in the big ten? I personally think so due to MSU and Iowa running similar up tempo styles. Just need the right players to execute it. Fred adjusted his scheme a bit halfway through the year to feed Walker more and sort of run the offense through him, but it has seen not much positive trends. I think it's an execution at this point. You can point to the players and coaches for that though

1 hour ago, HB said:

Don’t worry, this thread will be reactivated a year from now.  

You seemed pretty adamant in a few threads that Trev wasn’t going to tolerate what was going on. I’m not coming at you by any means, quite the contrary, wondering if you know of anything that perhaps swayed Trev to stick with him for another year?? Did coach really lay out that great of a vision for the future of the program?? 

27 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

You seemed pretty adamant in a few threads that Trev wasn’t going to tolerate what was going on. I’m not coming at you by any means, quite the contrary, wondering if you know of anything that perhaps swayed Trev to stick with him for another year?? Did coach really lay out that great of a vision for the future of the program?? 

Fair questions.

All I know is that after the Purdue  game, Frost had 24 hours to come up with a detailed plan for what he would do to change things if given the chance.  Frost was initially incredulous, but actually came up with a plan that impressed Trev.   The staff changes  happened soon thereafter.  I can’t imagine Trev and Fred haven’t had similar conversations.  

I don’t know, but believe, that Fred at least came up with enough concrete plans and a willingness to make some major changes, that Trev decided to give it a chance  (coupled with the contract changes).  Had Fred just said “pay me what you owe me, and let me coach”, I’m comfortable Trev would have sent him packing.  So yes, I think coach laid out a vision for the future.   Hope it works, although I am obviously skeptical that it will.  

5 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

alberts is smart to keep both frost/hoiberg another year because he didn't hire either of them and the fans aren't completely against bringing them back. 

alberts clock doesn't start ticking until he makes 'his' hires or he can look smart if fred/frost turn things around.

Alberts has the same clock as T.O. did.  It ain't ever ticking.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing....

11 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Dimes, now with decision made, it is time to consolidate the myriad of threads relating to next year's coach, yada ya da???

Honestly it's a bit annoying to me when people start a new thread that's essentially the same as a recent one we already have.  That being said I'm going to follow the same advice my pizza oven has about cleaning the stone; wait for it to cool first.

55 minutes ago, HB said:

Fair questions.

All I know is that after the Purdue  game, Frost had 24 hours to come up with a detailed plan for what he would do to change things if given the chance.  Frost was initially incredulous, but actually came up with a plan that impressed Trev.   The staff changes  happened soon thereafter.  I can’t imagine Trev and Fred haven’t had similar conversations.  

I don’t know, but believe, that Fred at least came up with enough concrete plans and a willingness to make some major changes, that Trev decided to give it a chance  (coupled with the contract changes).  Had Fred just said “pay me what you owe me, and let me coach”, I’m comfortable Trev would have sent him packing.  So yes, I think coach laid out a vision for the future.   Hope it works, although I am obviously skeptical that it will.  

I remain quite skeptical as well. I actually think Trev releasing this information now vs waiting until after the big ten tourney was smart- as speculation was only going to mount. I’m wondering if Fred gave a detailed description of how he plans on addressing the lack of fight and energy, and effort towards rebounding…

31 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Dimes, now with decision made, it is time to consolidate the myriad of threads relating to next year's coach, yada ya da???

I understand where you are coming from, but, having read them all, I would suggest just read the one with the most posts it has the same as all the others:

Fred bad, Verge bad, 18.5 bad,  20-loss, Miles good, Miles bad, but the recruits, roster turnover, Norm's seat upgrade, Dana Altman, never, NyQuil, kidney, not attending, 

33 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I remain quite skeptical as well. I actually think Trev releasing this information now vs waiting until after the big ten tourney was smart- as speculation was only going to mount. I’m wondering if Fred gave a detailed description of how he plans on addressing the lack of fight and energy, and effort towards rebounding…

Agree with the timing.  And the official statement from the University, which I had t read yet, specifically mentions the “plan” from Fred, implementing “change” , “ doing things differently”.   Let’s hope that can be done 

31 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I understand where you are coming from, but, having read them all, I would suggest just read the one with the most posts it has the same as all the others:

Fred bad, Verge bad, 18.5 bad,  20-loss, Miles good, Miles bad, but the recruits, roster turnover, Norm's seat upgrade, Dana Altman, never, NyQuil, kidney, not attending, 

And the winner is Norm’s seat upgrade.   

8 hours ago, hhcscott said:

Pleeeease keep Rock Bottom. It's a touchstone for Husker misery (pun intended).

12 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

alberts is smart to keep both frost/hoiberg another year because he didn't hire either of them and the fans aren't completely against bringing them back. 

alberts clock doesn't start ticking until he makes 'his' hires or he can look smart if fred/frost turn things around.

I wouldn't say the fans aren't completely against bringing them back.  Especially on the basketball side.  Fans are sick of what they have seen.  Had it not been for money, I think Fred is probably gone.  Sure, there are a few fans out there that wanted to keep Fred because it could happen.  But I don't think it's as many as you might think.

The arena on game days has kind of shown this.