Next Nebraska basketball coach

kldm64

Who is our coach next season  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Fred gets let go, who would you hire as our next head coach?

• Chris Mack
    • Tom Crean
    • Mark Turgeon
    • Jeff Capel
    • Rick Pitino
    • Porter Moser
    • Jeff Boals
    • Dennis Gates
    • Isaac Brown
    • Tommy Amaker
    • None of the above

5 minutes ago, busticket said:

i used to really like Greg Marshall.  Guy seems like a prick but Wichita played a very hard nosed style under him.  The last few years they have been slipping so not sure how I feel about him at the moment.

Well, he hasn't coached there the last couple of years because they fired him. That may or may not move your scales.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

wait….WHAT?!?!  My Nebrasketball doldrums have severely dulled my senses to what is going on in the outside world.

Interesting….the article confirms he IS a prick.

Edited by busticket

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

I've seen others say this. I hadn't heard this before. Care to elaborate? Not saying I don't believe you, just want to understand

I think Creighton fans often think the Creighton coaches hate the Huskers as much as they do. Not sure it's actually true, but I think it's more projection.

23 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

John Beilein fits *exactly* the mold of Trev's previous hires at UNO. Older, experienced coaches with a history of winning big who are currently out of coaching for one reason or another.

(See: Blais, Dean & Warming, Bob) 

Beilein is much too old for a Nebraska rebuild. Blais was 10 years younger and wasn't out of coaching. Warming came back to a community he knew, to take over for one of his former assistants, at a lower pressure job - and was still years younger than Beilein. He's gonna turn 70 next year, not the time to take over a massive rebuild in a tough conf. 

6 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I think my current list would be:

Top 4 (Current Salary):

Dana Altman ($3.5 Million)

Ed Cooley ($2.2 Million)

Darian DeVries ($500,000)

Mike Anderson ($2.5 Million)

Then:

Mark Turgeon

Gregg Marshall

I would love to have Dana Altman. Not sure he would leave Oregon. I wouldn't!

i think fred will be back next year...it'd be hypocritical to fire him after keeping frost.

we'll have new assistants and 90% new roster and people will be interested at the beginning at least...

if next year goes horribly then he will 100% be gone. same goes with frost.

Edited by FredsSlacks

5 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

i think fred will be back next year...it'd be hypocritical to fire him after keeping frost.

we'll have new assistants and 90% new roster and people will be interested at the beginning at least...

if next year goes horribly then he will 100% be gone. same goes with frost.

Has nothing to do with Frost.  Different situation.   Let Fred stand on the merits.  If you think he deserves to stay based on anything he's done or you think he can do, fine.   You probably don't know all that went into Frost getting another year (I do).   Doubt that Fred would be willing to do what that took.  Plus Fred's situation is way worse.   Apples to oranges.   Getting tired of people using that as a reason to keep Fred.  

6 minutes ago, HB said:

Has nothing to do with Frost.  Different situation.   Let Fred stand on the merits.  If you think he deserves to stay based on anything he's done or you think he can do, fine.   You probably don't know all that went into Frost getting another year (I do).   Doubt that Fred would be willing to do what that took.  Plus Fred's situation is way worse.   Apples to oranges.   Getting tired of people using that as a reason to keep Fred.  

"My right arm was broken, so I went into the doctor. She said I could either try some treatments and see if it will heal in a year, or just repair it today for a hefty fee. I decided to wait a year to see if it would heal.

Then three months later, I broke my left leg. The doctor said it was badly damaged and recommended a full repair otherwise there might be some permanent impediments. But since I chose to wait a year for my right arm to heal, I'm just going to do the same to my left leg and see what happens."

Question...would you be excited with a new Coach or would you take a wait and see.  After what we have gone through the last 3 years...I'll still go to the games.  I'll still chear on the team. HOWEVER, just like the players, I'm not going to get too pumped up for a coach until he/she (ya never know) proves themselves at a Nebraska game.  I don't care what you have done in the past..I'd think this year is proof that when it comes to Nebraska, hype is a load of BS.  Show me what you have a a Husker. Until they can prove themselves, they are no better than the person that hands me a slice of pizza and a bottle of water at a husker game. 

10 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Question...would you be excited with a new Coach or would you take a wait and see.  After what we have gone through the last 3 years...I'll still go to the games.  I'll still chear on the team. HOWEVER, just like the players, I'm not going to get too pumped up for a coach until he/she (ya never know) proves themselves at a Nebraska game.  I don't care what you have done in the past..I'd think this year is proof that when it comes to Nebraska, hype is a load of BS.  Show me what you have a a Husker. Until they can prove themselves, they are no better than the person that hands me a slice of pizza and a bottle of water at a husker game. 

i’d be excited/optimistic with a new coach because there would be hope.  However, I would be watching closely to see if the coach has a plan that makes sense and to see signs of progress.  Progress will generally reflect in the W-L record over time.  

19 hours ago, HuscurAdam said:

John Beilein fits *exactly* the mold of Trev's previous hires at UNO. Older, experienced coaches with a history of winning big who are currently out of coaching for one reason or another.

(See: Blais, Dean & Warming, Bob) 

He's working for the Pistons in Michigan.  That's a guy who probably would rather see his grandkids more than sitting in a gym in Papillion on Friday night. 

To me you're describing someone more like Mark Turgeon or Gregg Marshall.  Both guys have mid-west ties but both guys have some warts but they know how to win at college basketball.

11 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I'd be cautiously excited for a new coach.  A new hire is an unknown -- you're generally taking a risk because that new coach might improve the program or might make it worse.  In our current situation though, we have hit rock bottom (seriously this time)  and thus the only directions we can go are neutral or up.  There is no way to get worse than the teams we have had under Fred.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He's working for the Pistons in Michigan.  That's a guy who probably would rather see his grandkids more than sitting in a gym in Papillion on Friday night. 

To me you're describing someone more like Mark Turgeon or Gregg Marshall.  Both guys have mid-west ties but both guys have some warts but they know how to win at college basketball.

Yeah, I didn't realize Beilein is quite as old as he is.  Marshall has to much baggage to even consider and I wouldn't be excited about Turgeon at all. He was good, not great with a pretty good situation at Maryland; I have doubts he could produce similar results in Lincoln. 

I dont get the Frost/Hoiberg comparison. The only reason that Trev stuck with Frost was because they played close.. 

There is hope in the football program for the pieces we get back and new coaching staff + transfers. Trev also negotiated the buyout significantly. 

Next year is the perfect year to get rid of Fred. The team is starting over anyway right?(I mean like every other year with the roster). If you know Trev at all, he will not stand for this much losing no matter what the price. If NU was losing by 1 or 2 possessions every single night than I could possibly validate keeping him.. or if there was an ounce of teambuilding happening and they just need 1 or 2 additional pieces. 

Bryce is gone next year no matter who the coach is and everyone else is transferring like they do every year. 

The argument of who can we get thats better than Fred has always been ridiculous.. you bring in a D2 coach with a somewhat logical staff and you win at least 3 more games this year. You dont return to NU by getting swept by Northwestern with a point differential of -35. 

53 minutes ago, bearcats667 said:

I dont get the Frost/Hoiberg comparison. The only reason that Trev stuck with Frost was because they played close.. 

There is hope in the football program for the pieces we get back and new coaching staff + transfers. Trev also negotiated the buyout significantly. 

Next year is the perfect year to get rid of Fred. The team is starting over anyway right?(I mean like every other year with the roster). If you know Trev at all, he will not stand for this much losing no matter what the price. If NU was losing by 1 or 2 possessions every single night than I could possibly validate keeping him.. or if there was an ounce of teambuilding happening and they just need 1 or 2 additional pieces. 

Bryce is gone next year no matter who the coach is and everyone else is transferring like they do every year. 

The argument of who can we get thats better than Fred has always been ridiculous.. you bring in a D2 coach with a somewhat logical staff and you win at least 3 more games this year. You dont return to NU by getting swept by Northwestern with a point differential of -35. 

Don't know about you...but I won't accept 3 or more wins than this year...by any coach.  I expect more wins than loses next year...no matter who the coach is.  Don't care if they make it to a tournament.  I want to see the season end with no more losing seasons. 

2 hours ago, bearcats667 said:

How can you not see the Frost/Hoiberg comparisons?  They were both "home run" hires and have both completely under-achieved at Nebraska.  I don't care if Frost played teams close as I'm not in for participation ribbons.  Both coaches have been horrible so far.

A major issue with Scott was his belief he could come to this league with the same philosophy, the same schematics and the same coaching staff and simply expect similar results that he experienced at Central Florida and the Pac 10. Much different league.  You heard him almost shocked at the size difference.   

What I appreciate is that he has been forced to realize the issues and adjust.  I only wish he came to this realization on his own a few years ago.

Now can Fred come to this same realization?