Next Nebraska basketball coach

kldm64

Who is our coach next season  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Fred gets let go, who would you hire as our next head coach?

• Chris Mack
    • Tom Crean
    • Mark Turgeon
    • Jeff Capel
    • Rick Pitino
    • Porter Moser
    • Jeff Boals
    • Dennis Gates
    • Isaac Brown
    • Tommy Amaker
    • None of the above

My vote is for Dwayne Stevens.

We need a B1G coach who can recruit the B1G footprint for B1G style players, B1G bigs

SB Nation MSU site

"As a coach he not only featured prominently in the development of future NBA big men like Paul Davis, Draymond Green, Adreian Payne or Jaren Jackson Jr but also developed into the bench‘s second defensive mastermind. “There is a reason why he‘s my defensive coordinator,” Tom Izzo says, never shy of implementing a football term. “He does understand it, he‘s very analytical and he has a great understanding of the X‘s and O‘s. Sometimes coaches get labeled as recruiters only but DJ is a very good coach who can and will help me with a lot of things.” It is a sentiment that‘s widely shared among the Spartans staff, some even say that Stephens is on par with his head man when it comes to defensive prowess."

5 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I was there!  Very cool!

On the morning of that game I had given some thought to whether I wanted to drive up to Lincoln to go to the game, and I decided against it because I thought there was no chance we were going to pull off the upset so I decided to stay home and watch it on TV instead.  I was kicking myself after the game for not going.

3 hours ago, skerbball said:

Memories. Big 12 network..studio 66..the ORIGINAL ESPN Plus…

Consistently having ballgames on at 12:45 or 3 on a Saturday was the great part about Phillips 66's sponsorship of the Big 12 basketball schedule.... it made for a perfect Sat. afternoon.

Now, games are on at so many different times/dates, it's hard to have any sort of rhythm for players, coaches, fans, etc.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's pretty natural that the next coach you hire is strong in the area in which your previous coach was deficient.  Thus I'd look for us to hire an established coach known for culture and/or teams that play hard as opposed to an up and coming assistant type.

By God that's Tim Miles' music!

23 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Put him on my list. All the guy does is win

Interestingly, about McCasland's North Texas Mean Green, they are 0-3 when their opponent scores exactly 69 points.

They are 20-1 when their opponent scores something other than 69 points (that only loss being a 12-point setback to KU).

There's a joke involving a city park after hours in there somewhere for @cipsucks.

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

I've seen others say this. I hadn't heard this before. Care to elaborate? Not saying I don't believe you, just want to understand

I feel like any coach that's been at Creighton as long as he was develops a disdain for their rival, especially working under Altman. He coached at Creighton for almost 20 years. That's a long ass time. And he took legitimate pride and joy in being the lead scout against us. It was personal to him.

Not to mention he's an Iowa fan and his brother went there. I've heard he's riding the Drake job out until Fran retires.

Now can people have a change of heart? Absolutely. Money can change things. But you have to take into consideration his past. And didn't he just sign like a 10 year contract with Drake last year? That's not an easy buyout.

56 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Well, Gary Sharp this morning said it's time to start talking about who the next head basketball coach at Nebraska will be. This thread should be poppin' the next few weeks. 

I mean, he's kinda been saying it for a while now. He was a little more direct about it today, but he's been at this conclusion for a while.

30 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I feel like any coach that's been at Creighton as long as he was develops a disdain for their rival, especially working under Altman. He coached at Creighton for almost 20 years. That's a long ass time. And he took legitimate pride and joy in being the lead scout against us. It was personal to him.

Not to mention he's an Iowa fan and his brother went there. I've heard he's riding the Drake job out until Fran retires.

Now can people have a change of heart? Absolutely. Money can change things. But you have to take into consideration his past. And didn't he just sign like a 10 year contract with Drake last year? That's not an easy buyout.

We know a thing or two about “not easy buyouts”.  

1 hour ago, Nebrasketballer said:

I think my current list would be:

Top 4 (Current Salary):

Dana Altman ($3.5 Million)

Ed Cooley ($2.2 Million)

Darian DeVries ($500,000)

Mike Anderson ($2.5 Million)

Then:

Mark Turgeon

Gregg Marshall

I would like Altman but I think we missed our window.  

Ed Cooley would be very interesting.  My only question about him would be fit because of his east coast roots.  His teams are physical and play their asses off…would be a nice change if he could instill that culture here.

I like Devries but wonder if he would take this job, as alluded to by OmahaHusker.

Mike Anderson is funny.  I always though “meh” when his name came up last time.  When I look at his career performance, I would kill to have his level of success.  Perception is a funny thing.

I feel like Turgeon would be a bit of a hire like Mike Riley.  Best years are behind him.

i used to really like Greg Marshall.  Guy seems like a prick but Wichita played a very hard nosed style under him.  The last few years they have been slipping so not sure how I feel about him at the moment.