Next Nebraska basketball coach

kldm64

Who is our coach next season  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Fred gets let go, who would you hire as our next head coach?

• Chris Mack
    • Tom Crean
    • Mark Turgeon
    • Jeff Capel
    • Rick Pitino
    • Porter Moser
    • Jeff Boals
    • Dennis Gates
    • Isaac Brown
    • Tommy Amaker
    • None of the above

Nebraska, if you want to fail, come to Big Red country.  That is what many coaches will be told.  Heck, look what we did with poor Fred.  Even more, Miles once had an impressive year and all he got out of it was a road trip in the NIT.

Point is, this is going to be a pretty tough hire!

I always liked how Iowa Stare sort of tripped into Johnny Orr.  Their AD allegedly called Orr for his recommendation to coach ISU.  Orr supposedly answered ME.  The rest is history. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

21 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Nebraska, if you want to fail, come to Big Red country.  That is what many coaches will be told.  Heck, look what we did with poor Fred.  Even more, Miles once had an impressive year and all he got out of it was a road trip in the NIT.

Point is, this is going to be a pretty tough hire!

I always liked how Iowa Stare sort of tripped into Johnny Orr.  Their AD allegedly called Orr for his recommendation to coach ISU.  Orr supposedly answered ME.  The rest is history. 

We didn’t do anything with poor Fred…that’s 100% on him. He would’ve sucked in Ames if they would’ve hired him back

22 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

If we absolutely have to be dumb and fire Hoiberg then I want Scott Davenport.

Why would it be dumb to fire Hoiberg?   He is 21-62 at Nebraska and never won more than 7 games in a year.  Not 7 conference game but 7 games overall.  Let me say that  again.......7 total games in a season.  Not sure it would be a dumb move to expect better results.  

There's absolutely no way Trev can bring Hoiberg back next season (yes I know there's a $18.5 million buyout). It's one thing if the team was playing hard night after night. This team's effort has been beyond disappointing. This program is worse off than it was when Hoiberg took the job. If Hoiberg returns, the attendance will be atrocious! 

Fortunately, we internet geniuses don't get to make the call on whether a firing/hiring happens.

We geniuses don't have, truth be told, a very good record on such things [not that those in charge did better]:

1.   Steve Pederson was a "home run" hire, we all declared . . . before yelling, "String him up!!!"

2.  Scott Frost is our "obvious choice" to lead out of the post-Osborne doldrums . . . before we want him gone!

3.  Tim Miles was a "pretty good steal" . . . before he wasn't good enough!

4.  And Fred Hoiberg was worth "whatever we have to pay Miles" . . . until he isn't.

Here's guessing our collective geniusness has not improved over time.  

And . . . not sure there is a solution.  It may-well be that Nebrasketball becomes a permanent basement dweller in the B1G.

7 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

It may-well be that Nebrasketball becomes a permanent basement dweller in the B1G.

I don't buy that. We may never be a permanent fixture in the top 4 in the league (at least not in my lifetime), but we can become a solid middle-of-the-pack team that makes the NCAA more often than not. It's not THAT hard. Honestly, the one thing we need is somebody in the administration who gives a damn about basketball. And have that person talk with people outside the NU program who actually know the sport because there isn't a top-notch basketball guy on the staff.

Schools like Iowa State and Kansas State aren't perennial top 10 programs, but they really care about hoops and they have people in their programs who understand the sport. There's no reason we can't reach AT LEAST that level.

KState has made it to the NCAA 9 times in the last 20 years and they're unhappy. Iowa State has made it 9 times and they fired their coach last year, even though he had the team in the 2019 tourney as a 6 seed. Basketball isn't something to pass the time between football and spring football, like it is for most of our fans (present company excluded obviously). And they have people inside the administration who understand the sport because it's important to them.

May be an image of 5 people, people playing sports and text that says 'B1 N THANE COLLEGE BASKETBALL -BIG 12 ESPN 2TEXAS 67 N NEBRASKA 70 20 TEX (23-4, 11-1) NEB (18-8, 6-6) TEX 2nd half marked 1st time team trailed NCAAM RUTGERS 80 20SYRACUSE 84F/OT'

This photo showed up on my social media feed. . . I feel like this fits the current mix of comments in this thread. Nebraska CAN be good, again. Even *moderately* good teams seem to be beating top-notch teams on occasion. Right now NU is barely winning ANY games, and that is sad. But, hope reigns supreme, Nebrasketball will be back to winning with the whole admin. & program pulling together to make it right. I believe that can happen here. Why not us?

14 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

May be an image of 5 people, people playing sports and text that says 'B1 N THANE COLLEGE BASKETBALL -BIG 12 ESPN 2TEXAS 67 N NEBRASKA 70 20 TEX (23-4, 11-1) NEB (18-8, 6-6) TEX 2nd half marked 1st time team trailed NCAAM RUTGERS 80 20SYRACUSE 84F/OT'

This photo showed up on my social media feed. . . I feel like this fits the current mix of comments in this thread. Nebraska CAN be good, again. Even *moderately* good teams seem to be beating top-notch teams on occasion. Right now NU is barely winning ANY games, and that is sad. But, hope reigns supreme, Nebrasketball will be back to winning with the whole admin. & program pulling together to make it right. I believe that can happen here. Why not us?

I was there!  Very cool!

18 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Even *moderately* good teams seem to be beating top-notch teams on occasion. Right now NU is barely winning ANY games, and that is sad. But, hope reigns supreme, Nebrasketball will be back to winning with the whole admin. & program pulling together to make it right. I believe that can happen here. Why not us?

Amen. Right now there are 45ish Power 6 teams either in the tournament or on the bubble. That's 60% of the Power 6. We've been in that 60% group, playing meaningful games in late February, once in the past 8 years. It shouldn't be crazy to be in that majority group, playing meaningful games at the end of the year, every other season. 

22 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

#87 RPI team, #60 SOS, #228 PPG (66.9), #147 APG (13.2), #41 FG% (46.5%), #146 FT% (70.0%), #273 3P% (32.1%), #136 RPG (35.5), #129 BPG (3.68), #156 SPG (6.48)

Beat #13 Texas A&M, #3 Texas, #22 Missouri (Texas was #2 in one of the polls at least).

If I try to remember how I felt at the time, this wasn't an overly talented team (in regards to the definition of "talent" and "athlete"), but scrappy. The effort was there. I do also remember thinking "I don't know who I'd trust with the ball to make a shot".

Looking at the stats, they clearly played Doc-style tempo, but wow... solid 2-point shooting. Three-point shooting was to be desired.

I would take an average team with grit and tenacity than a highest-rated squad in Nebraska basketball history that flops. Makes you appreciate those prior teams even more.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Mad love to the tri-color Expos cap.

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Memories. Big 12 network..studio 66..the ORIGINAL ESPN Plus…

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

IIRC, Texas was set to become #1 that following week since #1 had lost or something prior to our game.  I was at the game and tried to rush from the upper bleechers.  Security did great at stopping me from doing that though.