Next Nebraska basketball coach

kldm64

Who is our coach next season  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Fred gets let go, who would you hire as our next head coach?

• Chris Mack
    • Tom Crean
    • Mark Turgeon
    • Jeff Capel
    • Rick Pitino
    • Porter Moser
    • Jeff Boals
    • Dennis Gates
    • Isaac Brown
    • Tommy Amaker
    • None of the above

Mack, Pitino: too much baggage, they'd only take the job for the paycheck, not because they want to be here
Capel, Crean, Amaker: mediocre record in P5 jobs.
Boals, Gates, Brown: "hot names" now, but lack the track record to merit the job. I'd look for someone with sustained excellence as a head coach, 5-6 years at least.
Porter Moser: Yes, except he's not leaving OU after one year.

None of the above.

I've mentioned this on other threads, but Steve Pikiell at Rutgers had the resume I'd look for: consistent winner at Stony Brook, but he never made the big splash in the NCAA so he was never the "hot name." I'd scour the Summit, MVC, MWC and other leagues in the midwest for someone with a similar profile. Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa is interesting, although his teams tend to be slow, grind it out types. Might work in the Big Ten, though.

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:
Mack, Pitino: too much baggage, they'd only take the job for the paycheck, not because they want to be here
Boals, Gates, Brown: "hot names" now, but lack the track record to merit the job. I'd look for someone with sustained excellence as a head coach, 5-6 years at least.

None of the above.

I've mentioned this on other threads, but Steve Pikiell at Rutgers had the resume I'd look for: consistent winner at Stony Brook, but he never made the big splash in the NCAA so he was never the "hot name." I'd scour the Summit, MVC, MWC and other leagues in the midwest for someone with a similar profile. Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa is interesting, although his teams tend to be slow, grind it out types. Might work in the Big Ten, though.

I agree with you but isn't this why 99% of the coaches take a job for the paycheck?  Coaches leave all the time for a better payday.  I doubt we are going to find a really good qualified coach that is dying to coach at Nebraska because he wants to be here.  It will take a huge paycheck to convince someone they want to coach at Nebraska.

21 minutes ago, HB said:

If Tom Crean got the nod I would officially give up my tickets after 44 years.  

He's a big weirdo but he's likely the type of coach that could have succeeded here 3 years ago because during the Bill Moos era you needed to supply your own leadership and culture.

31 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

None of the above.

Grant McCasland?

Niko Medved is my 1st call if Fred is let go. He has been for a while. Danny DeVries should be there. 

Like the Ben Jacobsen mention also. 

If they fire Fred, we'll have to go mid major though. No coach, in my opinion, that has coached in P6 ball will take the Nebraska job with other jobs that might be open. 

I really really really like Medved though and think he'd beat home run 

40 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I agree with you but isn't this why 99% of the coaches take a job for the paycheck?  Coaches leave all the time for a better payday.  I doubt we are going to find a really good qualified coach that is dying to coach at Nebraska because he wants to be here.  It will take a huge paycheck to convince someone they want to coach at Nebraska.

Sure, they want the paycheck, but they also are looking for opportunity. That's why Dana Altman went to Oregon: he wanted to get to a Final Four (which he did). Neither Mack nor Pitino sees DONU as an opportunity, and Slick Rick is 70. 

If we were going to throw a pile of money at a big name, i'd throw it at Altman. He might want to get back closer to family.

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

Niko Medved is my 1st call if Fred is let go. He has been for a while. Danny DeVries should be there. 

Like the Ben Jacobsen mention also. 

If they fire Fred, we'll have to go mid major though. No coach, in my opinion, that has coached in P6 ball will take the Nebraska job with other jobs that might be open. 

I really really really like Medved though and think he'd beat home run 

Not sure about Danny, but I think Darian DeVries would be someone we should take a close look at.  Sure, he's a Creighton guy, but that didn't stop him from going to their longtime rival Drake and making noise there.

Also, big fan of the Niko Medved option.

Alright, I've been thinking about this one for a while but was hesitant to post. Since his name is on the list, I could see making a case for Rick Pitino.

I understand the baggage, he's old, I get it and which makes this highly unlikely. But...we all know that from a basketball perspective, the man can absolutely coach. A guy who has the basketball track record like he does cannot be thrilled with the idea that his final stop will be at Iona.

In his mind, I could see him taking a job like Nebraska - his last chance to prove that he's learned from his past, to prove he is one of the best to ever do it and to recover some semblance of a positive legacy. He could take the worst P5 program in the country and make them a winner before riding off into the sunset. I have to believe a scenario like that would have some appeal to him. It's an ego play more than a money play.

Would it happen here? Probably not. But if it did, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it - I've been a fan of him as a basketball coach (repeat, basketball coach) since his days at Kentucky.

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

There is no way Chris Mack comes here. He's messed around with trying to coach at a football school and failed. He won't do it again. I could honestly see him hanging it up for awhile, if not forever, to focus on being a dad to his three kids.

Wait a second.  Are you really calling Louisville a "football school?"

People should consider Trev's track record of coach hiring when thinking of candidates.  Trev seems to have "a type."  His high-profile hires at UNO were Dean Balis (Hockey) and Bob Warming (Soccer).  Both are very experienced coaches who won at a high level in their previous jobs, and as it happens were out of coaching at the time they were hired. 

Another point is I recall Trev being asked about NU never having a Black head coach in any sport, and noting something to the effect of...the time has come for that to change and hurts in recruiting in all sports.  I suspect he'll look to hire a Black coach if he determines there is a *well-qualified* candidate who is a good fit here, not necessarily with this hire, but at some point in the next handful of openings. These things may have no relevance to a potential replacement for Fred, but I would at least keep it in mind.        

Three years ago NU hired what I and alot of others considered "the" hire to make Nebraska basketball relevant. After seeing what has happened over the last three years I have no idea who should be the next head coach if FH is let go. Any of those names listed could be the right guy or any of those names could be just another guy who couldn't do it here. 

As for the buyout of Fred it's like the line about divorce being expensive...cuz it's worth it.