uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 25 - @ Iowa

uneblinstu

Not much really to say fellas. At this point some of us are gluttons through caring so much. I’ll always be a die hard, but I’m learning what that term exactly means this season. For the first time in my entire life of being a die hard, I’m starting to lose interest and motivation to make it down to every game and set time aside in my schedule to watch the away games. Have mercy. 

Watched the 1st half at home and then had to get my son to baseball practice. 

A dad of his teammate is a die hard Hawkeye and was watching it on his phone. I was just listening to Kent and Jake on the radio.

He was saying that he hoped Fran would take his foot off the gas soon as that isn't a good look for either team.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time a team has let off the gas when playing us this season.

This can't go on.

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Watched the 1st half at home and then had to get my son to baseball practice. 

A dad of his teammate is a die hard Hawkeye and was watching it on his phone. I was just listening to Kent and Jake on the radio.

He was saying that he hoped Fran would take his foot off the gas soon as that isn't a good look for either team.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time a team has let off the gas when playing us this season.

This can't go on.

I have numerous friends that are Creighton or Iowa fans. It's the worst. Five 18+ point losses to Creighton and Iowa since Fred took over. I used to enjoy back and forth banter with these friends, now they just pity me. Sucks when our rivalries feel more like we're a mid-major getting ready to get blasted by a P5 team for the 20th time in a row. 

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Let's send Fran a Valentine for his charity at the end. The classy guy we all knew was buried under the florid facade.

It would have been nice to see that side of Fran for once, but I would have had to suffer through watching some pretty horrid basketball in order to get there, so I missed it, unfortunately. Or fortunately, depending on your perspective.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I just never realized there was a "FRANCON: Pity" setting...

I don't think it was pity. After that 42-10 run to end the first half, I think he was just drawing attention to himself. "Look how benevolent I am. We could have stuck a dagger in their hearts and, instead, we just lopped off their extremities. Aren't I nice?"

I mean, look how he's chatting up the officials at the end.

45 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We could have stuck a dagger in their hearts and, instead, we just lopped off their extremities

I never gave thought to the idea that our team was neutered at the beginning of the season.  Perhaps that's why we lack aggression and the "alpha" dog mentality.  I think you/Fran our onto something.

Let's quickly compare what Fred did (being hamstrung by being a first-year coach in the last season pre-Covid) with what TJ Otzelberger did at ISU in the 2nd year of Covid restrictions:

Oh, um, he got Isaiah Brockington from Penn State, who's averaging just over 17 ppg while shooting about 37% from beyond the arc.

He got a true freshman Tyrese Hunter (you can recruit HS players in your first season? But wait ...) who is averaging just over 10 a game.

He got Gabe Kalscheur from Minnesota, who's averaging not quite 10 a game.

Caleb Grill followed him from UNLV, so there is that.

He got Aljaz Kunc from Washington St who's averaging 45% from 3.

And he got Tristan Enaruna from KU.

And those are his top 6 scorers. And they sport a record of 16-9.

So, 1st year coaches don't have a chance to hit the transfer portal? Because why?

18 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I never gave thought to the idea that our team was neutered at the beginning of the season.  Perhaps that's why we lack aggression and the "alpha" dog mentality.  I think you/Fran our onto something.

We just have all these moving parts that aren't coordinated.

I mean, I think Verge is an alpha dog, but I question whether his teammates respect him.

There certainly seems to be a lot of friction and guys can't get on the same page.

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We just have all these moving parts that aren't coordinated.

I mean, I think Verge is an alpha dog, but I question whether his teammates respect him.

There certainly seems to be a lot of friction and guys can't get on the same page.

I think the jealousy/animosity toward Bryce seems like a big factor, as well. What Kobe said on the 93.7 interview has really sunk in with me as to how/why this season played out. . .

18 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think the jealousy/animosity toward Bryce seems like a big factor, as well. What Kobe said on the 93.7 interview has really sunk in with me as to how/why this season played out. . .

Kobe has also played kind of poorly since that all came out too.  At least I think he has…

On 2/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I don't think it was pity. After that 42-10 run to end the first half, I think he was just drawing attention to himself. "Look how benevolent I am. We could have stuck a dagger in their hearts and, instead, we just lopped off their extremities. Aren't I nice?"

I mean, look how he's chatting up the officials at the end.

Just like that you've convinced to start hating Fran again 🙂