ILLINOIS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (17-6, 6-6 Big Ten)
at Illinois Fighting Illini (6-13, 1-7 Big Ten)
Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022, 2 p.m. (CT)
State Farm Center - Champaign, Illinois
Live Video:
 B1G+ (subscription required)
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (1:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (ESPN 590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App

Huskers Close Big Ten Road Swing at Illinois
Nebraska wraps up its three-game Big Ten road trip by taking on Illinois on Saturday afternoon at the State Farm Center in Champaign. The game was originally scheduled to be played Jan. 23, but was postponed because of health and safety protocols within the Nebraska program.

Tip-off between the Huskers (17-6, 6-6 Big Ten) and the Fighting Illini (6-13, 1-7 Big Ten) is set for 2 p.m. (CT) with a live video stream for B1G+ subscribers.

I tend to get a little frustrated with turnovers at times. I might be over reacting.  I noticed this comment in a game preview at huskers.com.  

• Nebraska's backcourt has taken care of the ball while creating opportunities. Jaz Shelley (2.1) and Sam Haiby (1.6) rank No. 5 and No. 13, respectively in the Big Ten in assist-to-turnover ratio based on the NCAA minimum of 3.0 assists per game. Husker reserve Ruby Porter (3.1), who does not meet the NCAA minimum, owns Nebraska's best assist-to-turnover ratios (25-8).

Ruby sure has been playing well against these top rated teams.  Great effort always.   

Turnovers; And missing relatively easy shots  under the basket (OSU game: 19 for 51 or 37%), well maybe they're not so easy after all, (16 second chance points, and 38 points in the paint) but we still need to be able to finish better at the rim.

Tight defenses seem to bother us a lot more than when we try to be aggressive against other teams.   Fouls were almost the same (19 vs 16), yet OSU shot a lot more FTs than we did (15 vs 23)  😬

Still on the road and short turnabout time between games, but hope we are able to recover and bounce back against Illinois.  🎇

Edited by Red Don

Pre game Stuff...

Game is away, so as usual, it's worth 10 to Illinois.

They're not particularly high  scorers as a team. Have a couple girls with 10+ point averages.

Have 2 or 3 bigs that try to control the lane/ rebounding. We'll see if they try to double team Markowski. If not, she may have another good day.

Will they try to press us like everyone else does now? Trying to slow down our fast paced offense.. it can work to a degree... only if their defense has good quickness. 

If they don't ....our track meet offense may do some damage.

If we can get a lead and hold it, coach may try to rest some people maybe? We need some rest and recovery time. But it's hard to come by and not much rest will continue until the season's over. Hope Shelly and Sam can get back into their groove....may just be a bit tired.

Have to be focused and heads up...grind it out.... like every B1G game. 

Edited by redsteve

Haiby 34 minutes.  Scoggin 26.  Weidner 15.     Does that make any sense?  Unless Allison is under the weather, I don't understand it.

And, Ruby had 4 minutes.  Her folks were able to attend, prior to heading back to Australia.  Could have given the kid a few more minutes. I realize she didn't play great while in, but come on.

Edited by 12dozen

Press offense and so many unforced turnovers are major concerns.  It almost bit us today early in the 4th quarter.  We get away with this against the weaker teams but it kills us against the better squads.  Our eagerness to fire threes is concerning when we don’t even try to work the ball inside.  The big three by Jaz in the 4th came from inside out. 

Shouldn’t complain about an 18 point win but we could be so much better.

Four minutes each for Ruby Porter, Kendall Moriarty & Kendall Coly (no mins for Whitney Brown).  19 point win. Next game Monday after 1 day off vs. Seventh Ranked Indiana    😬

(Annika Stewart was not available today, nor for Ohio State Game)

Edited by Red Don

16 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Four minutes each for Ruby Porter, Kendall Moriarty & Kendall Coly (no mins for Whitney Brown).  19 point win. Next game Monday after 1 day off vs. Indiana    😬

(Annika Stewart was not available today, nor for Ohio State Game)

Unless there were issues we're not aware of, questionable game management, for sure.   

Since almost all posters here are always negative, I am going to give kudos.

Way to go Jaz for breaking out of your three point slump

Way to go Bella for your double-double

Way to go Issie for your good game with 19 points.

Way to go team with dominate rebounds against taller opposing posts

Way to go team on number of assists (assist to turn over ratio of +1.00 by the way

Way to go team in hanging in there after a brutal stretch of road games

Return to your negative comments now

Thanks for your time

14 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Since almost all posters here are always negative, I am going to give kudos.

Way to go Jaz for breaking out of your three point slump

Way to go Bella for your double-double

Way to go Issie for your good game with 19 points.

Way to go team with dominate rebounds against taller opposing posts

Way to go team on number of assists (assist to turn over ratio of +1.00 by the way

Way to go team in hanging in there after a brutal stretch of road games

Return to your negative comments now

Thanks for your time

I just read through all the posts in this thread.  I'm not finding a negative vibe.  I don't see a single post calling out a player. I questioned some coaching decisions. Fairly sure that comes with the territory.   If you want to see negative, visit the Red Sea Scrolls sometime.