OHIO STATE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Girls played hard tonight. We did lots of good things. Played together with lots of effort. ..... Just not quite enough consistency...and turnovers.

We were way more competitive than in past years.   

Markowski 23 points, 15 rebounds with one hand tied behind her back.

OSU is a good defensive team, and shoots pretty well overall., and is playing pretty well the last several games. 

Edited by redsteve

4 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Girls played hard tonight. We did lots of good things. Played together with lots of effort. ..... Just not quite enough consistency...and turnovers.

We were way more competitive than in past years.   

Markowski 23 points, 15 rebounds with one hand tied behind her back.

OSU is a good defensive team, and shoots pretty well overall., and is playing pretty well the last several games. 

Agree.  We seem to be a 'middle of the pack' team.  In this conference, that isn't bad.

Offense really isn't the problem.  The iron is often unkind on the road.  That's why defense travels so well.  We held to their season average in pts. and shooting percentage.  To win on the road you have to make opponents more uncomfortable on offense.  We need to stop the soft defense and we are going to try to outscore you game plan.  Seriously doubt we are going to out Iowa the other team and be successful.

70 pts. on the road should be an easy W.

I really like our future, I think we can be a team that finishes in the top 4 in following seasons.  Of course that's my hope anyway.  The young talent is there, esp. if the coaches develop them well.  As for this year, the next game at Ill. of course needs to be a "put it together and get a W" in spite of the short turnover .  We have the better talent to make that happen and expect that.  Other than another short turnaround and game at home against 1st place IU, the schedule moving forward has very "winnable" games the rest of the way.  I don't think an 11-7 or 10-8 conf. finish is out of the question.  They have to seize that and make it happen, of course.  Not ruling out a big upset on Valentine's day either.  I always give these ladies a chance.  GO BIG RED!!!

Edited by mwm89

I agree Sam is playing at less than 100%. I think we have the team to beat them but outside of the 1st quarter we still look like a tired team. Too many turnovers and way too many missed in close baskets. Plus when you are tired the first thing to go is your legs and that leads to poor shooting and poor defense. Would like to see more time for both Kendall's. Wasn't the thought 9-9 or 10-8 would be a good finish in conference back when this season started? That sure looks like where we are headed. I tend to agree with Cazzie that we may not have tools to beat Indiana. Really think it has more to do with our staff than the players. Was texting during the game last night and my brother who watches them from time to time made the comment to me. He said Williams is not a top 4 conference coach. She may coach a team into a top 4 spot but most times feel like we will be someplace in the 5-8 range. 

12 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Sure they do. Their 2 best guards have to play like their 2 best guards. Thought Shelley got aggressive late, which was good. 

At this stage of the season, I think we have 3 equally talented guards.  Lately, Weidner seems to be playing more consistent than the others. It was good to see Jaz pick it up.  I also noticed, Weidner and Haiby had equal minutes last night.   Coach has options. 

The NE women's basketball game against Ohio State reflected the good, the bad, and the ugly.   The good included Markowski scoring 23 pts and 15 rebounds; Shelley driving to the basket for a change and making 7 of 8 free throws; and team rebounds of 48 vs 34 for OS.  
The bad included 16 turnovers with several being bad NE passes.  The ugly included only 14 made shots on 31 layups or near basket shots.   Haiby continues to have shooting struggles with 7 points against Penn State; 6 against Maryland; and 2 free throws against OS.  For the 20-21 season she led the team in scoring at 16.8 pts a game (10.2 ytd this year).     Most of us remember her late in the game heroics of driving in and usually scoring plus getting free throws.  Apparently, she is still dealing with her injured shoulder.  
    As reflect previously, others such as Wiedner, Shelley, or Scoggin need to step up for short jump shots and drive ins to the basket to help compensate. 
Hopefully despite a quick turnaround, the team will excel against Illinois and if we have a good lead, rest some starters, and play other players!

I watched Mich St and Mich last night.  Two things became quite obvious to me,  First it's very very hard to win on the road in the big Ten.  Experience is big but you also need to play really good defense especially in defending outside.  2nd Alexis two main competitors were both playing each other.  Ekh from Mich St. played 38 minutes and didn't score until the 4th qtr when she hit 2 threes. She had 2 reb and 2 turnovers.  The other was Phelia from Mich and she played 30 minutes and had 9 pts and 5 turnovers.  Not having Brown cost Mich the game as her replacement Phelia played a poor game.  In listening to the pathetic announcers they felt it was a tossup for Big Ten freshman of the Year between Alexis M. and the other two previously mentioned. One even picked Phelia stating that consistency was very important.  No-one has been more consistent then Alexis. Glad they don't have a vote. 

15 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Sure they do. Their 2 best guards have to play like their 2 best guards. Thought Shelley got aggressive late, which was good. 

We cannot handle Grace Berger and Patberg.  We didn’t in Bloomington, so I have no reason to believe it will be different in Lincoln.  Weidner has earned more playing time.  Sam doesn’t seem the same after the shoulder injury.

The team can score and they play hard.  As many have noted they are not overly athletic, which becomes exposed on perimeter defense no matter how hard they play.  To me that’s the defensive limitation, not tired legs.  We play more players meaningful minutes than any team in the league, so we should be less tired on average than the opposition.  I don’t know why we don’t switch up defenses on occasion, but that’s just me.

But in spite of their limitations, they win last night with 10 turnovers instead of 16, or with 20 made bunnies out of 31 rather than the atrocious 14.  These have been two major weaknesses all year, and don’t seem to be getting better.

2 hours ago, Gamafn said:

The team can score and they play hard.  As many have noted they are not overly athletic, which becomes exposed on perimeter defense no matter how hard they play.  To me that’s the defensive limitation, not tired legs.  We play more players meaningful minutes than any team in the league, so we should be less tired on average than the opposition.  I don’t know why we don’t switch up defenses on occasion, but that’s just me.

But in spite of their limitations, they win last night with 10 turnovers instead of 16, or with 20 made bunnies out of 31 rather than the atrocious 14.  These have been two major weaknesses all year, and don’t seem to be getting better.

First of all we are probably going to win 5 of the last 6, finish 11-7 in the B10 and go on to the tournament. I think we will beat Indiana and blow one of the away games, actually, and that's a pretty damn good season.  I agree about the D though, as all 5 starters are definitely more offensive minded than defensive minded players.  There is no perimeter stopper or rim protector getting much time......Coley maybe?  In Amy's 2nd year when we tied for 3rd at 11-5, 3 of the 5 starters were more defensive minded and 3 3pt shooters came off the bench to add some scoring.