uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 24 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'm not expecting a lot from Oleg, he's a 7' piece to the four guys in the 'C' room. I'm good with him being 4th out of 4.

I will only mention this Auroran, the dude has a good pedigree and he appears to have a better offensive arsenal then DW and Ed.  Now, granted, that is only based upon arriving early and watching pre-game drills.  He sort of reminds me of a Wisconsin big...if that makes sense.  

Given his willingness to redshirt, build his body and skillset; I am sort of hoping he will be a sleeper/steal for us. 

I thought we played pretty well with a lot of intensity.  Great start to the game.  Minnesota was about as bad as they could be for the first half.  They were 0 for 9 on 3's and turned it over on 1/3 of their possessions!  We should have been up more at half (Lat missed wide open layup and a no call on Trey's attempted dunk stand out) and I thought it might come back to bite us but we continued to score in the second half. (expect Trey from the free throw line)

I did not realize that Verge is 2nd in the Big Ten in assists and I don't think Tominaga played again after pulling up from deep on a heat check shot in the first half.

The coaching staff had the kids ready to play and had a good game plan to push the ball and make Minny play up tempo.

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will only mention this Auroran, the dude has a good pedigree and he appears to have a better offensive arsenal then DW and Ed.  Now, granted, that is only based upon arriving early and watching pre-game drills.  He sort of reminds me of a Wisconsin big...if that makes sense.  

Given his willingness to redshirt, build his body and skillset; I am sort of hoping he will be a sleeper/steal for us. 

I agree with what you saw. It's promising, at least from our minimal view from pre-game warmups. Oleg seems like he's trying to take the right kind of shots before games, and not a lot of dudes from NU appear to be doing that. It's a small thing, but it was noticeable to me.

Our defensive philosophy has to be to force turnovers.  We were + 7 in turnovers and + 13 in points off turnovers.   That was the difference in the game.  

The defensive intensity seemed better.  Northwestern had open look after open look.  We contested a majority of the shots in the 1st half.  In the 2nd half, we let Battle get some open while trying to guard him with Lat.  When we put Trey on him, it was over.  

The problem with our team, and one I have heard Fred stress is we try to make the highlight play instead of the simple play.  This team probably has 3 more wins just making the simple play.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't know how much to expect from Oleg, but Wilhelm, Walker and Kieta should be a nice front court. Hopefully Wilhelm will be ready to go by the start of the season, but I could see him needing some time to get back into game shape.

I have watched and keyed in on Oleg a bit in warm ups to see how he moves, and he moves pretty well imo for a seven footer. He's not a back to the basket big as he shoots quite a few mid range jumpers.

Idk what to expect, but TO ME he looks the part. Need to see in game action though. He looks noticably bigger than after the first of the year also imo. Having him as a 3rd/4th big behind two experienced guys isn't the worst thing in the world. We also only have 2 bigs this year, so having more options is a good thing

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Wow. Great minds think alike. Or something like that

I enjoyed last night and let the winning endorphins soak through my body. Quick notes for what I saw 

-lat mayen is going to drive me certifiably insane. He dropped a few easy passes on noticably good cuts, and let battle, Minnesota's best player, get hot in the second half. Battle knew he couldn't guard him. I'm shocked he didn't go back at Lat late in the game

-minnesota is a bad team as are we, but that shouldn't have only been a 12 point win. Countless missed opportunities at the FT line and layups. Gave me flashbacks to the 19-20 season. 

-andre does good and bad. He is what he is. 

-had a kid behind me who was annoying, so that was hard to tune out

-trey was a dog all night. Forced a few layups that he should've kicked out, but overall was attacking and dishing. That's the Trey McGowens this team missed. 

-Cj Wilchers defense was surprisingly very very solid. I've always thought his defense was a bit shaky, but last night he was sliding and contesting on a consistent basis. Was very impressed with him and have been all year. 

Onto Iowa on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I agree with what you saw. It's promising, at least from our minimal view from pre-game warmups. Oleg seems like he's trying to take the right kind of shots before games, and not a lot of dudes from NU appear to be doing that. It's a small thing, but it was noticeable to me.

Have you also seen him working with the coach about 60 or so minutes early?

44 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

-Cj Wilchers defense was surprisingly very very solid. I've always thought his defense was a bit shaky, but last night he was sliding and contesting on a consistent basis. Was very impressed with him and have been all year. 

I noticed that too.  Not sure if it was just a good matchup for him defensively or what, but he did hold his own last night.  If he can find a way to do that consistently then his minutes will surely go way up, because he is easily our most consistent shooter on the offensive end of the floor.

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Not been there quite that early. If I lived in Lincoln, I'd be there that soon. What else did you see that early... Loenser the one who works with Oleg?

Yes along with the strength coach and various managers.

He is pretty fluid with range.  He has good hands and is fundamentally sound.  Needs weight and strength.  He would be pushed out of position more often than not today.

So he still has a ways to go.  But, he may end up being viable. 

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

I have watched and keyed in on Oleg a bit in warm ups to see how he moves, and he moves pretty well imo for a seven footer. He's not a back to the basket big as he shoots quite a few mid range jumpers.

Idk what to expect, but TO ME he looks the part. Need to see in game action though. He looks noticably bigger than after the first of the year also imo. Having him as a 3rd/4th big behind two experienced guys isn't the worst thing in the world. We also only have 2 bigs this year, so having more options is a good thing

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Have you also seen him working with the coach about 60 or so minutes early?

Things seem to be headed in the right direction for a RsF.

Maybe a Wisconsin big like ?????

19 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Not been there quite that early. If I lived in Lincoln, I'd be there that soon. What else did you see that early... Loenser the one who works with Oleg?

Yes along with the strength coach and various managers.

He is pretty fluid with range.  He has good hands and is fundamentally sound.  Needs weight and strength.  He would be pushed out of position more often than not today.

So he still has a ways to go.  But, he may end up being viable. 

His parents:

Oleg comes from a basketball family, as both parents played collegiately at UNC Wilmington. Aleh was a 6-foot-11 center who played in 114 games during his four-year career at the school and helped the program reach the NCAA Tournament as a senior in 2000. After college, he played professionally oversees for more than a decade. Jurgita, was a 6-foot-6 center who still ranks third in school record books in both blocks in a season (71, 1998-99) and career (122, 1997-2000). She also holds the school record with 10 blocked shots in a game at UNC Wilmington.

I try not to get too excited about the lineage after getting my hopes up about this guy:

Shang is the son of Ma Min and Shang Guchen, and was born on Dec. 23, 1984. Both of his parents played professional basketball in China. His father, Shang Guchen, is 6-6 and his mother, Ma Min, is 6-0. Shang is majoring in economics at Nebraska.

3 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I try not to get too excited about the lineage after getting my hopes up about this guy:

Shang is the son of Ma Min and Shang Guchen, and was born on Dec. 23, 1984. Both of his parents played professional basketball in China. His father, Shang Guchen, is 6-6 and his mother, Ma Min, is 6-0. Shang is majoring in economics at Nebraska.

Shang actually had a pro career, according to WIki:

Shang began his pro career with the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball Association in 2009. In 2010, he moved to the Chinese club Shanxi Brave Dragons, and in 2012 he joined the Chinese club Qingdao Eagles, where he was a teammate of Tracy McGrady.

Shang moved to the Greek League club Panathinaikos in 2013, thus becoming the first Chinese player to ever play in a European basketball league.[3][4] He returned to China in 2014 and spent the next two seasons with the Tianjin Gold Lions.

24 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Shang actually had a pro career, according to WIki:

Shang began his pro career with the Beijing Ducks of the Chinese Basketball Association in 2009. In 2010, he moved to the Chinese club Shanxi Brave Dragons, and in 2012 he joined the Chinese club Qingdao Eagles, where he was a teammate of Tracy McGrady.

Shang moved to the Greek League club Panathinaikos in 2013, thus becoming the first Chinese player to ever play in a European basketball league.[3][4] He returned to China in 2014 and spent the next two seasons with the Tianjin Gold Lions.

I saw that.  He was a guy that I had a lot of hope for when we recruited him to Nebraska.  I’m glad he was able to have a solid pro career.