Only for the die hards

75unlgrad

Yes, a true point guard has been the missing link in the Hoiberg era. And another lethal shooter a la CJ would be a bonus.

I like a lot of things about the scheming that Fred has done, but the execution has been, well, not nearly good enough, particularly defensively. I believe it can be fixed.

There is definite hope for better days, albeit difficult to see when the season has been off the track for a while now. And, I haven't even mentioned the recruiting aspect, which appears to be more in line with what Fred would have liked in year one. Nebrasketball can be on the rise with Hoiberg, but it has been derailed for too long for many to see the small glimmers of positive elements that NU has on the horizon.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Totally understand your point but put yourself in Bryce's shoes.  Would you come back to this or go somewhere and get to play in the NCAA tournament and compete for a National Championship in your last year of college?  

That makes sense, but if competing for championships was more important to him than playing with his brother, then he could have done that this year. 

8 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

That makes sense, but if competing for championships was more important to him than playing with his brother, then he could have done that this year. 

True but like most good competitors, he assumed him and Trey could get NU to the tournament this year and then he gets the best of both worlds.  Just didn't work out so now he has to re-evaluate his options.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I guarantee I won't be sitting in my seats tonight.

Oh, I'll be at the game, for sure.

I'll just be checking out sight lines for next year's Seat Yourself.

Norm, feel free to come down to our area and check it out.    It will be a festive bunch, because we're going to start priming in an hour. 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

And in my opinion, this is the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it.  NIL is the worst thing ever to happen to college sports.

We have just seen the tip of the iceberg.   Hold on to your bootstraps.   A lawsuit has been presented (not sure of the court) claiming athletes are employees and should receive compensation and other employment related benefits. This would include workers compensation, disability and the likes.  I believe Ernie Chambers fought this battle for years.  I sure am not saying this would be a bad thing; but it would likely trigger many other changes that would be necessary. 

I will also assume that a change like that would not be limited to Power 5 programs.  Eventually many schools would have to measure the overall costs and many schools may have to give up programs or all athletics.

Is the sky falling.  No.  But if you don't like change, this will not be pretty. 

Whether one or both of the McGowen’s boys leaves after this season, when they’re old men they’ll wish they would’ve played together one more year, but they’re too young to REALLY understand that now. Some things are priceless regardless of where you’re drafted…

I assisted pulling 75unlgrad's thread off the tracks.  I apologize.

There are positives out there that can be seen.  Losing masks many positive steps.  

What I want to see is for this program is for it to fix some of the little things.  We all know what those things are.  If we can start seeing those small fixes, then perhaps some rays of sunshine will start shining through.  Nowhere to go but up.

27 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I suppose it is possible if we find someone competent to organize the defense.  It is so much easier to play hard on defense if everyone has a good understanding of what they are supposed to do. Adapting the defense every game to their strengths is not working.  

Organize it and hold them accountable to giving max effort. That would solve a lot of our issues, just don’t believe it will happen unfortunately but there is always hope.

Going back to the OP.  I still think Fred is the man for the job and I am encouraged by the progress in recruiting I see going forward, especially next year's class.

There may not be many of us, but for those of us who still believe Fred is the best chance to get this done at NU, I encourage you all to email Trev and let him know.  No doubt, all the cynics and haters are going to be blasting their disdain of Fred to Trev non-stop.  One poster already shared his experience of emailing Trev all his grievances.  

We need to make sure the haters aren't the only voices heard.  Trev needs to hear from long-time fans like us that we see things differently.  That there are other considerations that show a more positive outlook.  That we support Fred and we will continue to go to the games because we believe he has as good or better of chance of turning this around than any new coach.  

Here is his email.  [email protected]

Here is his twitter:   trevalberts

31 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Going back to the OP.  I still think Fred is the man for the job and I am encouraged by the progress in recruiting I see going forward, especially next year's class.

There may not be many of us, but for those of us who still believe Fred is the best chance to get this done at NU, I encourage you all to email Trev and let him know.  No doubt, all the cynics and haters are going to be blasting their disdain of Fred to Trev non-stop.  One poster already shared his experience of emailing Trev all his grievances.  

We need to make sure the haters aren't the only voices heard.  Trev needs to hear from long-time fans like us that we see things differently.  That there are other considerations that show a more positive outlook.  That we support Fred and we will continue to go to the games because we believe he has as good or better of chance of turning this around than any new coach.  

Seriously, you have gotten so close to this you can’t function properly.   If someone has an opinion that Fred has done a poor job the past 3 years and the “program” is in a bad place it does not make that 

Person  a “hater”.   

Edited by HB

2 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

It’s almost like your trying to convince yourself that Fred is the best man for the job more than you’re trying to convince any other poster.

I wouldn’t call people who are upset with 21 wins in 3 years as “haters.”  And honestly, it’s not even just the wins and losses.  It goes deeper as many other posts on the board have mentioned.

24 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

FWIW, when I mentioned haters I was thinking more about people like Eric from Cozad. Hard to say guy who takes time to personally call Fred to “fire” him isn’t a hater.

Nice try.  Your first reference was broad and inclusive, and “all the haters and cynics” included a helluva lot more than Eric from Cozad. You were talking about people emailing Trev, not calling a radio show.    Step away from the ledge.  

41 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Lol. So sensitive. There are a lot of Eric’s from Cozad out there.  

Lol, you losing it.   Thinking differently than you does not make one a hater.  Thinking a change should be made with this 3 year record does not make one a hater.  And writing missives shorter than War and Peace does not make one a hater.  I’ll bet you hardly anyone, including Eric, who think we should move on from Fred, actually hate him.   So, LOL for you being the sensitive one.  

4 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

sadly i think our best chance of being good next year is if 2 guys transfer so we can add 2 more recruits/transfers. bryce, verge, and walker are the only 3 legit big 10 starters on this team right now, and we are losing at least 2 of them.

There is little doubt we take 2-4 transfers as people will leave. We need a PG, wing, and stretch 4 at least.

I agree with him the first 1-2 we an asterisk because he had no chance to recruit year 1 and way behind year 2 even. However I am judging on this year and the lack of defense, intensity, and chemistry is more than alarming. I probably would favor another year if he understands the issues and has a solid plan for change.

i have little to nomhope if he doesn’t 

On 2/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, NUdiehard said:

Why do you think Fred is still the man for the job?  I know he came into a tough situation but we should not be as bad as we are at this point.  He had experienced players returning this year and a top 20 recruiting class and we are the worst team in the conference by far and one of the worst teams in the country.  I was all in on Fred but have have seen no improvements during the year to make me think that moving forward with Fred is the right move.  I was ready to start building at statue of Fred when they hired him but after the results I've seen the past 3 years, I'm not sure Fred it the right coach moving forward.