Only for the die hards

75unlgrad

24 minutes ago, 75unlgrad said:

I am terribly disappointed in this year's season like everyone else.  I attended the exhibition game with Colorado and had my expectations for the season go sky-high.  Again, I am so disappointed in our lack of team play.  We did not solve our problems with 'point guard play' and we did not solve our 'lack of rebounding' problems.

However, I am a die-hard Nebraska basketball fan and I REFUSE to give up.  All of you on this board that have given up, I understand.  But please do not respond to his thread with hate, despair, anger, hopelessness, etc.  I know everything you are going to say.  I have been to all the games.  I've already heard it.  Please go to another thread if all you want is to 'bad mouth' me for trying to see some positives that we can build on.  I want to see if there are any other 'hopeful' fans left that want to talk about our future in a positive way.  (It is a 300 mile round trip for me to see games -- please don't question my loyalty -- my mental competence maybe -- but not my loyalty.)

So, on the positive side -- I see our rebounding problems starting to improve.  We will have better size with Eduardo Andre (6'10" sophomore), Blaise Keita (6'10" soph), and Oleg Kojenets (7'0" redshirt freshman) than we did this year.  We also have Wilhelm Breidenbach (6'10" sophomore) that can play post or power forward.

I like the recruiting class that we are bringing in -- one juco and three freshmen)

Blaise Keita --  6'10" and 240 lbs. -- top juco post -- 4-Star rating  (Sophomore in eligibility)

Denim Dawson  --  6'6" forward -- rated #185 in his class

Jamarques Lawrence  --  6'3" guard -- rated #146 in his class

Ramel Lloyd  --  6'5" guard -- rated #135 in his class

I believe that you build a team by recruiting strong freshmen classes and have them develop over 4 years.  This season, we had seven freshmen players on the roster (Eduardo Andre, Keon Edwards, and C.J. Wilcher were considered freshmen in eligibility due to covid).  The true freshmen were Breidenbach, Byrce McGowen, Kojenets, and Quaran McPherson (6'3" redshirt guard).  If Byrce McGowen leaves after his freshman year, we will have six sophomores and three freshmen on the roster next season.  That is a good nucleus to develop and build on.  

I don't know if Keisei Tominaga, Lat Mayan, Trey McGowen, and Derrick Walker will return.  I would like to see Bryce McGowen return for one more year but I doubt that will happen.  If all players came back, we would be one over the scholarship limit at 14.  Some will have to leave because WE MUST RECRUIT A POINT GUARD for next season and maybe one more perimeter shooter.  (portal -- be good to us)

So, starting next season, we will be playing a lot of young players that have a chance to develop and be competitive in the BIG 10.  I like the size and depth of our post players (when was the last time we ever said that).  I like C.J. Wilcher -- I thought he improved and gained confidence these last five or six games.  I like Keon Edwards -- I expect him to be one of our better players when he is a junior and senior (I know, he hasn't shown much yet, but I believe that he has a great amount of potential.  He didn't play his senior year in high school due to covid and it shows.  He didn't have the confidence to assert himself on the court this year and seemed to defer to the older players.  I think he has as much talent as anyone on the team and will show it with time.)

I plan to purchase my tickets again next year and drive 300 miles to watch them play.  I want to stay positive about Husker basketball.  I want to be hopeful.  I want these 9 sophomores and freshmen to be the building blocks for long successful runs to the NCAA tournament.  Am I all alone out here or are there a few other 'die-hards' that have hope for the future??  Go Big Red!!

The real question is how many will stay and how many will leave?

B. McGowins is gone. He's a lottery pick.

I've heard both Trey and Derrick are leaning towards staying.

I think CJ will stay as well.

Not sure about Lat or Keisei. 

Have no idea about any of the redshirts or Keon. 

I'm going to wait and see what happens to the roster before I make any judgements.

There will be more responses to this thread Thursday. Husker fans are always more optimistic after a win.  Minnesota doesn't play well in Lincoln.  I did a quick perusal of past years, and it looks like the last time the Gophers won in Lincoln was the first year we played a B1G schedule.  Huskers win tomorrow!

I think the biggest factor that will determine the success of this team going  forward will be, regardless of coach,  the number of current players we can keep on our roster. The more players we keep the more success we have. 

I have seen things from most of our players I like and that I think if they were developed could be great assets to this team. I see some talent. Development takes time. We really haven't got chance to see that big jump from year 1 to year 2 because of the roster flipping.

Effort can be taught. Aggressive play can be taught. These guys can be taught. 

Some players naturally give maximum effort and are aggressive but In my experience it is very difficult to teach effort and aggressive play unless the vast majority of the players who are playing exhibit it.

Sadly not all players possess those necessary qualities and if guys are playing without those qualities their virus might infect the entire team.

2 hours ago, bkamler said:

Some players naturally give maximum effort and are aggressive but In my experience it is very difficult to teach effort and aggressive play unless the vast majority of the players who are playing exhibit it.

Sadly not all players possess those necessary qualities and if guys are playing without those qualities their virus might infect the entire team.

And I respectfully disagree. I have the opposite experience. Will players taught effort and aggressiveness ever equal those with the natural gift? Not even close. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

13 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

The real question is how many will stay and how many will leave?

B. McGowins is gone. He's a lottery pick.

I've heard both Trey and Derrick are leaning towards staying.

I think CJ will stay as well.

Not sure about Lat or Keisei. 

Have no idea about any of the redshirts or Keon. 

I'm going to wait and see what happens to the roster before I make any judgements.

I was going to say the same thing CrazyforNUHoops said is Bryce is not a lottery pick and not even close to being so.  He easily could go in the first round but claiming he is a lottery pick is a real stretch.  

14 hours ago, 75unlgrad said:

please don't question my loyalty -- my mental competence maybe -- but not my loyalty.

Anyone who still cares enough to post on this website is loyal to the basketball team.  Most fans would have mentally switched over to something else by now.  Heck, I TRIED to mentally switch off this season.

I'm glad to see the optimism you display, even if I don't share it.

Kudos to you- 300 miles is a haul for the product we see on the court. I try to look at things with a hopeful eye as well.  I don’t have a clue who is coming or going, but I have specifically watched our 7 footer this year in warm ups. He’s thin, but very fluid and has above average quickness. He has a quick spin move and dunk that look better than any Yvan/Jordy/Duby could ever dream of…

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I agree that is what he should do and if he does decide to return to school for another season, my worry is it won't be at Nebraska.  

If he plays another year in college I'm somewhat confident it would be at NU. I think Bryce would still want to play with Trey, and he can't transfer again without sitting out.  

58 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

If he plays another year in college I'm somewhat confident it would be at NU. I think Bryce would still want to play with Trey, and he can't transfer again without sitting out.  

Totally understand your point but put yourself in Bryce's shoes.  Would you come back to this or go somewhere and get to play in the NCAA tournament and compete for a National Championship in your last year of college?  

14 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Totally understand your point but put yourself in Bryce's shoes.  Would you come back to this or go somewhere and get to play in the NCAA tournament and compete for a National Championship in your last year of college?  

If he doesn't go pro, my guess is that his college destination next year will depend on his NIL deal.   It is pretty stout here.   Can he match it at some place that will fit the "compete for titles" category?    My thought is yes, but I've heard its a pretty big number.

28 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Not to mention that the one free transfer and NIL money has essentially brought free agency to collegiate athletics. 

1 hour ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Not to mention that the one free transfer and NIL money has essentially brought free agency to collegiate athletics. 

And in my opinion, this is the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it.  NIL is the worst thing ever to happen to college sports.

Edited by kldm64

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he's borderline 1st round, he should return to school and improve his draft stock. The difference could be millions.

I agree, and you correct as I just checked ESPN NBA Draft board and they have him at #30 which is 1 spot out of the 1st round. He will also be able to throw his hat in the ring without any hit to his NCAA eligibility and see where he lands. 

10 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

And in my opinion, this is the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it.  NIL is the worst thing ever to happen to college sports.

There will be pros. And farm leagues. And all that stuff. And eventually you'll maybe get to a place where colleges don't give out scholarships anymore and kids just play for the love of the game. And college fans will still show up to watch and cheer on the kids, just like fans show up to watch and cheer on Nebraska Wesleyan or Wayne State College. And because kids still play for places like Nebraska Wesleyan, and fans still show up to cheer them on, I'm convinced this will eventually shake itself out and there will always be a college game no matter what.

4 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Looking forward to seeing the other 50 or so people in the stands tonight.  I sit in Row 24 seat 15 (right on the aisle)...stop by and say hi if you are in the area. We probably have the ability at this point to set up a Husker Hoops Central section down in the 100 level. 

I guarantee I won't be sitting in my seats tonight.

Oh, I'll be at the game, for sure.

I'll just be checking out sight lines for next year's Seat Yourself.