Nebraskas next coach is...

cornfed24-7

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am struggling with the names coming out here.  Everyone is thinking too narrowly. 

You want to set us apart?

You want a huge media splash?

You want fan interest?

You want likely heated debate?

You want the first female to lead a Power Five program????

I know there are a couple NBA assistants in the ready.  But there may be a couple college head coaches that would be ready for the challenge.  Tell me why not?  Think about it.  If you are going to make a change...wow...what a change it would be.

I did think about this. And here is why I don't think it would work. And I FULLY support your idea!

So you're going to be the 1st woman to be a  power 5 coach, but its at Nebraska. I am not even joking here. I think this may be the one power 5  job if offered to a woman she should seriously consider passing. 

Here's why. If you're a dude and you come here and fail so what? Many dudes have. In fact, you can argue, since the tournament expanded all of them have (I said ARGUE). Look what it has done to Hoiberg! But if you're a girl...

Flip side to this argument. If you're a woman and you have a chance to do something, that LITERALLY, no man has ever done and get the Huskers their 1st tournament win...You shoot your shot 😀

Edited by cornfed24-7

16 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

We had 3 consecutive mid major coaches, all with somewhat similar results.

Time to go a different route. I want someone with BIG ties who's ready to be a HC. 

Anybody who comes in from the outside of our conference will have no idea what they are up against on a week to week basis during conference play.

A new potential coach with BIG ties will not try to force a system that doesn't work in this conference. They will also have ties to recruiting in the BIG footprint. The will be familiar with the other teams and understand what it takes to win in the BIG.

Another "outside the box" or mid major coach isn't going to get me excited. 

I’m not saying not to try something else but people come from outside the league and do well all the time. Just find the right guy for a change, don’t care where he comes from

Knowing what power 5 basketball looks like is more important than having Big Ten ties, IMO. I know it was a major adjustment for Miles to find his eye for Power 5 level players. Eliminating that learning curve would be a good start. Having local, midwest relationships would be a big plus as well.

We obviously need to get a ton better defensively and rebounding, but I'd also like to not go back to consistent rock fights either...

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

I’m not saying not to try something else but people come from outside the league and do well all the time. Just find the right guy for a change, don’t care where he comes from

Way easier said than done.  Any suggestions on how we go about doing that as pretty sure Nebraska thought they hired the right guy each time.

47 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

We're not in a recession though.  Quite the opposite, actually. 

Not just directed at just you as other(s) have made similar statement.

I don't care about macro/micro economics, oor graphs, charts, etc. Don't @ me with them as I don't care, because they don't mean anything to me on a personal level.

I'm going to talk about my family. I manage our finances. I buy gas and groceries at the same location.

These costs have all gone up by lot. Despite less driving we have payed more for gas thus far. We are also paying more for the same groceries by about %10. Other costs like buying my sons baseball uniform, cleats, bat, and glove where about $200 more than last year. Last year I bought him a Marucci Cat 7 bat for $129. This year the same exact bat cost $149. Molded Mizuno cleats where $39 and the exact same shoes where $49. Bought both online from the same store. Cost of service and parts for automobiles are up as well. Service station I go to said I needed to replace spark plugs and fuel induction service in my 2011 Ram 1500 truck within the next 6 months(this was in Aug 2021) and they quoted me $720. Just had them serviced for $830. Before anyone asks this has never happened to me before at this service location and have been going there for 10yrs.

So while I'm sure someone can "prove" that we aren't in a recission that proof would ring hollow for me.

If my family is experiencing this then I'm sure many others are, which is why I made the statement that paying $18.5 mill buyout, to average fan/citizen is not going to look good. I'm not an average fan and thus I would be OK with paying the buyout.

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Not just directed at just you as other(s) have made similar statement.

I don't care about macro/micro economics, oor graphs, charts, etc. Don't @ me with them as I don't care, because they don't mean anything to me on a personal level.

I'm going to talk about my family. I manage our finances. I buy gas and groceries at the same location.

These costs have all gone up by lot. Despite less driving we have payed more for gas thus far. We are also paying more for the same groceries by about %10. Other costs like buying my sons baseball uniform, cleats, bat, and glove where about $200 more than last year. Last year I bought him a Marucci Cat 7 bat for $129. This year the same exact bat cost $149. Molded Mizuno cleats where $39 and the exact same shoes where $49. Bought both online from the same store. Cost of service and parts for automobiles are up as well. Service station I go to said I needed to replace spark plugs and fuel induction service in my 2011 Ram 1500 truck within the next 6 months(this was in Aug 2021) and they quoted me $720. Just had them serviced for $830. Before anyone asks this has never happened to me before at this service location and have been going there for 10yrs.

So while I'm sure someone can "prove" that we aren't in a recission that proof would ring hollow for me.

If my family is experiencing this then I'm sure many others are, which is why I made the statement that paying $18.5 mill buyout, to average fan/citizen is not going to look good. I'm not an average fan and thus I would be OK with paying the buyout.

Those are all bad things.  No one is arguing that.  But excessive inflation is generally (I say generally, because there are some rare examples of stagflation in world history) a sign the economy is expanding too quickly, which is the opposite of a recession.  To quote the great Inigo Montoya:

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Those are all bad things.  No one is arguing that.  But excessive inflation is generally (I say generally, because there are some rare examples of stagflation in world history) a sign the economy is expanding too quickly, which is the opposite of a recession.  To quote the great Inigo Montoya:

To add to this correct terms matter. A recession is two consecutive quarters where the GDP contracts. 

With that stated every single point Ron brought up is a valid concern. And I feel exactly the same. But its not a recession.

11 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

To add to this correct terms matter. A recession is two consecutive quarters where the GDP contracts. 

With that stated every single point Ron brought up is a valid concern. And I feel exactly the same. But its not a recession.

I'm a bit out of my depth here and thus used some incorrect terminology. With the use of my real world example my point still stands about the optics. 

Edited by Ron Mexico

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Way easier said than done.  Any suggestions on how we go about doing that as pretty sure Nebraska thought they hired the right guy each time.

If I did I would start a consulting firm for AD’s. I would be hit or miss like others. I liked the Miles hire and loved Fred. Was lukewarm on Doc and Collier

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Inconceivable!

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm a bit out of my depth here and thus used some incorrect terminology. With the use of my real world example my point still stands about the optics. 

Respectfully, I disagree with your argument but agree with your conclusion.  The optics would be bad not because of the economy, but because the university and athletic department are in a tough place financially due to the pandemic and its impact on revenue. It looks bad to pay one guy $18.5 million to go away when you were just laying people off last year. 

However, the broader economy impacts everyone differently based on the particulars of their finances.  Inflation due to economic growth isn't bad for some (such as myself) if wage growth outpaces the price increases, but for others on a fixed income it is a significant burden.  I'm sure there are lots of Husker fans in both categories who have opinions all over the map about the buyout (and the economy).

Edited by HuscurAdam

I think the one thing we all agree on is $18.5 million is a lot of money to be given.

Especially for winning 25% of games.

If the optics preclude a buyout then there has to be a negotiation.

Trev: this isn't working, do you want to quit?

Fred: No, I believe in myself and these kids.

Trev:Really?

Fred: Gosh yeah.

Trev: okay, how about a wager. I will bet you 18.5 million that you can't make it to the NCAA tournament next year.

Fred: I make it to the NCAA tournament and I get 18.5 million?

Trev:yep

Fred: and if I don't, I owe the university $18.5 million?

Trev: yep

Here is a "fun" way to look at it.  The 18,500,000 buyout could instead be used to provide approximately 90 starter type homes for Nebraska families in need.  Ughhh.

Or how about 18,500,000 feeding and clothing homeless or children of need...

Or how about 18,500,000 into teammates, or cancer research or world relief or shelters for battered women or....so many other areas of need!!!

Or...we can buy out a millionaire basketball coach that hasn't performed to a nominal level of expectations!

Goodness, no wonder this world is a mess.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Here is a "fun" way to look at it.  The 18,500,000 buyout could instead be used to provide approximately 90 starter type homes for Nebraska families in need.  Ughhh.

Or how about 18,500,000 feeding and clothing homeless or children of need...

Or how about 18,500,000 into teammates, or cancer research or world relief or shelters for battered women or....so many other areas of need!!!

Or...we can buy out a millionaire basketball coach that hasn't performed to a nominal level of expectations!

Goodness, no wonder this world is a mess.

You need to cut your estimates by 60%.  That's how much the government will take out of Hoiberg's cut.  Forgot about the agent.  Even less for all the causes that are great....

15 hours ago, cipsucks said:

You need to cut your estimates by 60%.  That's how much the government will take out of Hoiberg's cut.  Forgot about the agent.  Even less for all the causes that are great....

If Fred has a good enough accountant with his win total he can get this written off as charity