Nebraskas next coach is...

cornfed24-7

45 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I think if they are a good coach they can adapt to the environment.  I dont care what ties to a school or conference a guy has.  Just find the best person.  I think people are skewed to that thought cause of the 2 current mens sports coaches.

mid major...rinse repeat...mid major rinse repeat.

His first 2 years he will be "getting used to the conference", "getting his players" and is "new to the BIG"

It's time try another path. 

More importantly both Stephens and Chablis have better resumes and I think have better P5 D1 potential.

Give me a coach who has his teams playing with their hair on fire 40min a game.  That has to be the baseline--a profound motivator whose players match his personality.  I want to see defense again.  Dennis Gates would be awesome.  A Shaka Smart disciple would be welcome.  Just give me someone who, under no circumstances, puts a product on the floor that gets outworked by an opponent.  As a fan, I can always work with and be proud of great effort.  

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

mid major...rinse repeat...mid major rinse repeat.

His first 2 years he will be "getting used to the conference", "getting his players" and is "new to the BIG"

It's time try another path. 

More importantly both Stephens and Chablis have better resumes and I think have better P5 D1 potential.

A good coach is a good coach and will adapt prior.A lot people on here seem to think the last mid major was a success.

12 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

As much fun as this is and Fred has done nothing to earn another year, the odds are 18,500,000 to 1 that Fred is given one more year.

At those odds, I'd definitely hedge.

Do I think he "earned" another year? Absolutely not. This all comes down to Alberts making the tradeoff decision between what he believes is his best fiduciary duty in terms of finances within the athletic department and dealing with the after effects of he chooses to sever ties.

34 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Do I think he "earned" another year? Absolutely not. This all comes down to Alberts making the tradeoff decision between what he believes is his best fiduciary duty in terms of finances within the athletic department and dealing with the after effects of he chooses to sever ties.

Or what he thinks is best for the fans and university in the long run by showimg he cares about mens basketball and pullimg the switch.

12 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Or what he thinks is best for the fans and university in the long run by showimg he cares about mens basketball and pullimg the switch.

I understand that, but football takes priority at this university whether we like it or not. And if both of these programs don't turn it around next season, it's football that gets resolved first.

I don't know what our books look like. I'm skeptical that they look any good, with financial hits due to COVID, the debt obligations we have for facilities, and the ramp up of staffing budgets. I don't know. And I can't comment on that. I can only trust that Alberts knows how to manage those books. I certainly didn't trust Moos one bit, and he's part of the reason why we're even talking about budgets being a question mark or concern.

I think there is a thin line that now exists when you say we are a football school.  That thought is archaic at best.  There is way too much money at stake to say that in today's world.  In the past that was a livable situation; but not today.  

We need our revenue generating sports to be good to great.  Is that the case today...heck no.  And we would be foolish to think that Trev doesn't understand that; heck he has already said that winning mattered.

I'm not sure what the ultimate decision will be on Fred.  I sort of think there will be a high level review once Fred produces his plan to right the ship.  However, I do not believe football first is an issue any longer.  Basketball and football are 1B and 1A.  If Trev cannot see a clear path coming from Fred then Trev will clear a path for him out the door.  Business is business and it ain't personal. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I understand that, but football takes priority at this university whether we like it or not. And if both of these programs don't turn it around next season, it's football that gets resolved first.

I don't know what our books look like. I'm skeptical that they look any good, with financial hits due to COVID, the debt obligations we have for facilities, and the ramp up of staffing budgets. I don't know. And I can't comment on that. I can only trust that Alberts knows how to manage those books. I certainly didn't trust Moos one bit, and he's part of the reason why we're even talking about budgets being a question mark or concern.

Long term financial impact for keeping either could hurt more if things dont change

5 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Long term financial impact for keeping either could hurt more if things dont change

Completely agree. Which is why they'd focus on turning around a football program that generated a surplus of $64M in 2019 versus a basketball program that generated a surplus of $2.6M. (Volleyball had a $0.5M surplus for anyone who's curious).

There's much larger long-term impacts on the football program than holding out due to finances and you get a coach in later who gets you back to #10-12 in the conference. $2.6M/year surplus isn't going to get you the return that focusing on turning around a football program would.

4 hours ago, coughunter said:

A good coach is a good coach and will adapt prior.A lot people on here seem to think the last mid major was a success.

We had 3 consecutive mid major coaches, all with somewhat similar results.

Time to go a different route. I want someone with BIG ties who's ready to be a HC. 

Anybody who comes in from the outside of our conference will have no idea what they are up against on a week to week basis during conference play.

A new potential coach with BIG ties will not try to force a system that doesn't work in this conference. They will also have ties to recruiting in the BIG footprint. The will be familiar with the other teams and understand what it takes to win in the BIG.

Another "outside the box" or mid major coach isn't going to get me excited. 

53 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I think there is a thin line that now exists when you say we are a football school.  That thought is archaic at best.  There is way too much money at stake to say that in today's world.  In the past that was a livable situation; but not today.  

We need our revenue generating sports to be good to great.  Is that the case today...heck no.  And we would be foolish to think that Trev doesn't understand that; heck he has already said that winning mattered.

I'm not sure what the ultimate decision will be on Fred.  I sort of think there will be a high level review once Fred produces his plan to right the ship.  However, I do not believe football first is an issue any longer.  Basketball and football are 1B and 1A.  If Trev cannot see a clear path coming from Fred then Trev will clear a path for him out the door.  Business is business and it ain't personal. 

More like football is 1, and basketball is 10, then VB, Baseball, etc. the chasm in revenue between the 2 sports is enormous.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Don't forget about the negative impact of having to justify, during a recession, paying a coach $18.5mil to leave.

34 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Don't forget about the negative impact of having to justify, during a recession, paying a coach $18.5mil to leave.

We’d have to pay him $15 mil after next year. And $11.5 mil the year after. So if Trev thinks Fred isn’t the guy, I don’t think he’s thinking it in terms of getting rid of him for $18.5 mil but for $3.5 mil - because if Trev is gonna fire Fred there’s gonna be a $10+ mil buyout no matter what. 

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

We’d have to pay him $15 mil after next year. And $11.5 mil the year after. So if Trev thinks Fred isn’t the guy, I don’t think he’s thinking it in terms of getting rid of him for $18.5 mil but for $3.5 mil - because if Trev is gonna fire Fred there’s gonna be a $10+ mil buyout no matter what. 

Also, we are not in a recession...yet. So the fix for that would be to let him go now. BOOM! No justification needed 😀

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am struggling with the names coming out here.  Everyone is thinking too narrowly. 

You want to set us apart?

You want a huge media splash?

You want fan interest?

You want likely heated debate?

You want the first female to lead a Power Five program????

I know there are a couple NBA assistants in the ready.  But there may be a couple college head coaches that would be ready for the challenge.  Tell me why not?  Think about it.  If you are going to make a change...wow...what a change it would be.

No...  

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Or maybe we just accelerate inflation until Hoiberg's salary is on par to a standard 9-5 job. That'll show him!

I was actually thinking of making a joke about inflation as a way of explaining away why its such a large buyout. I just couldn't put the joke together though ☹