Nebraskas next coach is...

cornfed24-7

All I know is that there are plenty of possible names or possible scenarios to fix what is going on with Nebraska Basketball in its current state, but Mark Turgeon is not one of them, and shouldn’t even be in the top 100.

Hiring Mark Turgeon would be the ultimate waving of the white flag for Nebraska when it pertains to Men’s Basketball.

47 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I would be very leery of hiring Mcassland. It's hard to tell how much of his success is to him and how much is his assistant coach Russ Hodge. 

I am not sure that's not another Tim Miles/Craig Smith and possibly Fred Hoiberg/Otzelberger deal.

Out of curiosity, why would you say "leery" and why would you necessarily assume or think that the assistant coach had more to do with the success of the team?

I mean, every successful coach has assistants. What do you know about the situation that would lead you to think Russ Hodge deserves more of the credit than Grant McCasland?

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure I can sell this guy much more than I have tried in the past. 

-Incredible scout and gameplanner. 

-Brings a ridiculous amount of intensity and energy - while still being liked/respected.

-Hardnosed dude, guys won't be f-ing around. There's nothing fake or disingenuous about this guy. 
-I think he would focus much more on building a team through the right guys and right foundation. 

-Absolutely knows Nebraska and the Midwest. 

-Potentially brings his really good kid with him.

I have seen this man in action many times. No one is more intense, focused, and driven - while also being respectful, engaging, and liked by his players. I believe a lot of what has made Creighton good in the ways that I view as good, were because of Coach DeVries. 

All just my opinion. But this is my dude over anyone else I've seen mentioned. 

I would support this for sure. He is a great basketball guy and a great guy in general. Have him hire a great recruiter(s). I would be sold.

Forget McD. He told a friend of mine zero chance even with a blank check.

What ever happened to John Groce?  I really wanted him to be our head coach a few years ago but Illinois swept him up and let him go after like 5 years.  Well to answer my own question he is at Akron now and was the MAC coach of the year in 2020 and turned the Zips program around.  The guy has been really successful at the Mid-major level and although he failed at Illinois he didn't totally fall on his face.  He is about 50 years old now but has a pretty good resume and also Big Ten experience.  Just a name to throw out there, but I still think Coach Hoiberg is back next year.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Eh, sure, but he also had kids in high school and from what I hear, he lives as close to PBA as he does the Qwest Center or whatever it's called now...

That’s fair.  Life circumstances do change for everyone.  What’s true today may not be true tomorrow

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

What ever happened to John Groce?  I really wanted him to be our head coach a few years ago but Illinois swept him up and let him go after like 5 years.  Well to answer my own question he is at Akron now and was the MAC coach of the year in 2020 and turned the Zips program around.  The guy has been really successful at the Mid-major level and although he failed at Illinois he didn't totally fall on his face.  He is about 50 years old now but has a pretty good resume and also Big Ten experience.  Just a name to throw out there, but I still think Coach Hoiberg is back next year.

I also like Groce and think he could still be a fit here.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm gonna throw this out there as I'm serious about this and think this guy is a really solid coach.

He coached at Arkansas St. for 1 year. The year before he was there, Arkansas state was 11-20. His only season at Arkansas St. they went 20-12 and beat Georgetown on the road.

The next year, he took over at North Texas. The year before McCasland arrived at North Texas, Tony Benford guided North Texas to 8 wins. McCasland's first season at North Texas, they won 20.

His first three teams at North Texas won 20, 21, and 20 games. Last season, they won 18 games, made the NCAA tourney, and beat Purdue in the 1st round.

Currently, they are the #61 team in KenPom.

North frickin' Texas.

Interview this guy for Pete's sake.

All due respect I don't want to go the mid major route again. I want someone with ties to the BIG who can hit the ground running. Familiar with conference foes and can recruit for the BIG.

We have tried everything except getting someone who is familiar with the conference we are playing in. The way you finish in the upper half of the BIG is by bringing in someone who is very familiar with the BIG. I like Mccasland but we need to win in this conference if we are going to be successful. Experienced BIG assistant coaches who are ready need to be at the top of our list. Our previous 3 coaches, excluding FH, have all come from the mids. We need to go a different way. 

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

All due respect I don't want to go the mid major route again. I want someone with ties to the BIG who can hit the ground running. Familiar with conference foes and can recruit for the BIG.

We have tried everything except getting someone who is familiar with the conference we are playing in. The way you finish in the upper half of the BIG is by bringing in someone who is very familiar with the BIG. I like Mccasland but we need to win in this conference if we are going to be successful. Experienced BIG assistant coaches who are ready need to be at the top of our list. Our previous 3 coaches, excluding FH, have all come from the mids. We need to go a different way. 

He did have succes as a Baylor assistant. And hes making less then $1M

20 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I'm not sure I can sell this guy much more than I have tried in the past. 

-Incredible scout and gameplanner. 

-Brings a ridiculous amount of intensity and energy - while still being liked/respected.

-Hardnosed dude, guys won't be f-ing around. There's nothing fake or disingenuous about this guy. 
-I think he would focus much more on building a team through the right guys and right foundation. 

-Absolutely knows Nebraska and the Midwest. 

-Potentially brings his really good kid with him.

I have seen this man in action many times. No one is more intense, focused, and driven - while also being respectful, engaging, and liked by his players. I believe a lot of what has made Creighton good in the ways that I view as good, were because of Coach DeVries. 

All just my opinion. But this is my dude over anyone else I've seen mentioned. 

Siring a D-1 basketball player with 3 years left should be a bullet point

9 hours ago, coughunter said:

He did have success as a Baylor assistant. And hes making less then $1M

I'd rather have someone with ties to the BIG 10. I'm not interested in a coach needing a learning to curve to get used to the style of play, players, venues, and coaches in this conference. Winning in our conference is the priority. 

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'd rather have someone with ties to the BIG 10. I'm not interested in a coach needing a learning to curve to get used to the style of play, players, venues, and coaches in this conference. Winning in our conference is the priority. 

I think if they are a good coach they can adapt to the environment.  I dont care what ties to a school or conference a guy has.  Just find the best person.  I think people are skewed to that thought cause of the 2 current mens sports coaches.

9 minutes ago, coughunter said:
19 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Expand  

I think if they are a good coach they can adapt to the environment.  I dont care what ties to a school or conference a guy has.  Just find the best person.  I think people are skewed to that thought cause of the 2 current mens sports coaches.

I might be with Ron on this. Given our short history in the Big Ten, our coaches have either failed to recruit or don't see the need in recruiting a true center. That's been vital for success for the top teams in this conference.

Not saying it has to be that way (Hoiberg might find fire next season if his players can disrupt behind the arc and force opponent centers to stretch their defensive range), but I haven't seen it yet with the schemes our coaches have implemented over the years in the Big Ten without a true center.

I am struggling with the names coming out here.  Everyone is thinking too narrowly. 

You want to set us apart?

You want a huge media splash?

You want fan interest?

You want likely heated debate?

You want the first female to lead a Power Five program????

I know there are a couple NBA assistants in the ready.  But there may be a couple college head coaches that would be ready for the challenge.  Tell me why not?  Think about it.  If you are going to make a change...wow...what a change it would be.