Nebraskas next coach is...

cornfed24-7

I think David Anwar may want to return now that he has ditched the 'stash.            50 Impactful Low Major Coaches in D1 Men's Basketball (silverwavesmedia.com)                Also the student section should note that there are two coaches named Brandon on the list so they wouldn't even have to think up a new chant to use.

Edited by jimmykc

7 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I think womens sports is a little different cause of fan base.

Dana Altman has also been in a short list for Nebraska fans over the last two decades. How that translates if it became a reality? I don't know.

I just want a coach who can win. I don't care if they wore blue before or not.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I'd take Mark Turgeon in a heartbeat.  No clue why you wouldn't want him.

I personally am not a Tuergon guy and can explain why. With the amount of talent that went through Maryland over the last few years, to not make the S16 in any year sans 1 is kinda bad. Now, he did win a game each year he was in the tourney besides 16-17, which would get a statue built for him here. But I look at Tuergon and I'm not a fan of the body of work at Maryland. 

Also, he'll have better options in my opinion if this job were to open up. 

If FH is not here next year our next coach needs to have deep BIG 10 ties. Someone understands what it takes to win in this conference and has coached/played in successful programs. This is

There is one coach I've been keeping my eye on for a while. He's a good recruiter with BIG 10 ties. It would be a shot across the bow to a BIG 10 rival. He's more than ready to become a D1 HC. He checks a lot of boxes. 

Sharif Chambliss

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/sharif-chambliss/1762

Would also be worthwhile looking at current MSU assistants as well. specifically Dwayne Stephens. He is the heir apparent to Izzo. This is who Draymond Green thinks should take over for Izzo. He would likely go back to MSU to take the HC job if offered, but I don't think Izzo is going anywhere anytime soon. In the meantime he could play a pivotal role in getting our program on the right track. 

Dwayne Stephens

https://msuspartans.com/staff-directory/dwayne-stephens/190

If it were me, I’d be interviewing Jerrance Howard. I like head coaches who were point guards and team captains on highly competitive teams. He did so at Illinois while playing on some really good teams. Young and energetic which I like. Good recruiter who can recruit Chicago and the Midwest. Learned for many years under Bill Self. Spent time with Larry Brown, Billy Gillespie, and is now down in Texas under Beard. Apparently had a lot to do with player development at KU. 

Guy checks a lot of boxes for me. I’d have to hear his plan in an interview. But we wouldn’t have to break the bank and he’d have a high ceiling. 

Also, big Devries fan as well. 

Edited by Busch Light

Sharp and Benning threw an interesting one out there this morning:

Greg McDermott

McDermott has been at Creighton for 12 years and from what I’ve heard their new AD is off to a rather slow start getting well acquainted and in good graces with long time coaches such as he and the volleyball coach. Administration matters. Nebraska could also more than double his salary. As Damon said in the crossover, make him say no

10 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

But you can see his former lead assistant who scouted Nebraska every year for him and took pride in having the scout to kick Nebraska’s ass coming here and think he should be the top target?

I have this question, too...though I think that if he's interested, he'd be a top candidate.

Edited by uneblinstu

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Yes? Assistant > Small College HC > B1G Coach seems like a much more logical path. 

Dude's never been in charge of Creighton and been on the sideline as the head guy versus us. 

At this point... I almost feel like HC Creighton > HC NU would be a lateral move. And we'd have to pay out of our rear ends for him, while also paying a massive buyout. Wouldn't be doing that with DeVries. 

Creighton to Nebraska would be a pretty significant step down in terms of the job itself. The pay may be a step up, though...

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I pointed this guy out years ago. Look it up.

Grant McCasland.

I stand by it.

I'm gonna throw this out there as I'm serious about this and think this guy is a really solid coach.

He coached at Arkansas St. for 1 year. The year before he was there, Arkansas state was 11-20. His only season at Arkansas St. they went 20-12 and beat Georgetown on the road.

The next year, he took over at North Texas. The year before McCasland arrived at North Texas, Tony Benford guided North Texas to 8 wins. McCasland's first season at North Texas, they won 20.

His first three teams at North Texas won 20, 21, and 20 games. Last season, they won 18 games, made the NCAA tourney, and beat Purdue in the 1st round.

Currently, they are the #61 team in KenPom.

North frickin' Texas.

Interview this guy for Pete's sake.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Creighton to Nebraska would be a pretty significant step down in terms of the job itself. The pay may be a step up, though...

He turned down lots of money from Ohio State to stay at Creighton.  I have a hard time seeing it.  However, that’s when Rasmussen was AD and they were super close.  Maybe with the new guy he’d be willing to listen to offers.

9 minutes ago, busticket said:

He turned down lots of money from Ohio State to stay at Creighton.  I have a hard time seeing it.  However, that’s when Rasmussen was AD and they were super close.  Maybe with the new guy he’d be willing to listen to offers.

Eh, sure, but he also had kids in high school and from what I hear, he lives as close to PBA as he does the Qwest Center or whatever it's called now...