Nebraskas next coach is...

cornfed24-7

10 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Do tell why. Honestly I would like to know. I know little of him other than a few coaching stops he's been to.

Do not think he is a good coach. I’ve watched him a lot over the years and nobody does less with more talent. Plus he seems burnt out and do not want to chance another guy whose heart is not in it.

Who knows, I thought Fred was an incredible get so I am not some expert at picking coaches either. A lot of good coaches out there, sucks we never seem to find the right one.

If we want to go the budget route, I’d say Kevin McKenna would be worth kicking the tires on.  He makes $300k a year working for Altman and did a good job at the 2 lower end head coaching jobs he has had.  Oregon has been very successful under Altman so it’s not like getting an assistant from a marginal P5 program.  And he is familiar with the area.  

As with any coaching hire, total crapshoot.  But he wouldn’t cost a kings ransom to get here.

4 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Just came across a name I did not expect to see. Seeing him on a few lists of "Midmajor Coaches About to make a Big Jump" List basically naming 8 - 10 midmajor coaches about to jump to a Power5 conference. Anyhoo, how do we feel about Rick Pitino 😬?

Never heard of the guy. 

5 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Niko will have much better offers than us by the end of this year. 

I think Gates would be the best option. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

The option 1, 2, & 3 for me is Niko Medved. If he can convince David Roddy to join him here in Lincoln, that would be an obvious plus. 

Another option that I didn't realize is still in the mid majors is Dennis Gates. For some reason I thought he took a HM job last year, but guess not. But he's an obvious fantastic coach and would be a home run. 

There's some other names that would probably be good that I am unaware of. But Medved needs to be a guy Trev goes for HARD. 

4 minutes ago, throwback said:

The only real choice at this point, considering where the basketball gods are currently holding Nebrasketball's soul, is some sort of Cerberus-type creature as the next head coach.

image.png

Guarding the gates to bringing back Danny Nee

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Sharp and Benning threw an interesting one out there this morning:

Greg McDermott

We've done very well in the past paying a Creighton coach to come here. Sign of the times that a reverse Iowa St sounds great but seems more like a sounds bite used to keep the fans in blue happy to have him. 'Prohming the negotiation pump', so to speak

38 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Sharp and Benning threw an interesting one out there this morning:

Greg McDermott

The other name they mentioned that isn't already in this thread was Kim English. Currently at George Mason. You probably remember him from his days at Mizzou.

Also speculated that this could be the first hire that would be an African-American in NU sports history.