uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 23 - vs. Northwsstern

uneblinstu

In over 50 years of watching Nebraska basketball I can certainly say I have never seen a team that consistently plays with such a low level of intensity - particularly on the defensive end.    Just looked like none of them wanted to be out there today.   Verge was the only one that seemed to care about what was happening.   CJ did some good things offensively but also had a couple defensive possessions when he just made no effort at all to guard his man.   Bryce was his normal self in terms of effort - but today even Walker and Trey seemed to be somewhere else and those guys being focused is the only way to get effort out of Bryce.    This team just seems to have no idea what it means to play hard - and ultimately that is Hoiberg's responsibility.   Fred is never emotional - but can't understand how he can watch something like today and not seem to be the slightest bit upset.   Makes you wonder how much he cares as well ?

Toward the end of the game the banner board said that 2nd chance points were 36 - 0.    Is that accurate?   How is that even possible ?

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

I hope I didn’t speak too lightly. He should absolutely be fired and potentially not even allowed to finish the season. This is full incompetence and nearly subversion of duties to field a competitive, tough, caring team. 

I honestly don't understand why he hasn't been fired yet. I get that it's a big buyout, but this team clearly isn't going to turn it around anytime soon. It will be a miracle at this point if we manage to back into even a single conference won at this point. At least football looked like it was trying, no one here looks to give a damn. They won't sell many tickets next year if they don't make a change. There was NO ONE at a Saturday afternoon game.

1 minute ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

I honestly don't understand why he hasn't been fired yet. I get that it's a big buyout, but this team clearly isn't going to turn it around anytime soon. It will be a miracle at this point if we manage to back into even a single conference won at this point. At least football looked like it was trying, no one here looks to give a damn. They won't sell many tickets next year if they don't make a change. There was NO ONE at a Saturday afternoon game.

We play 20 conference games, including the BIG Tournament...The thought that we could go winless is mind boggling. 

Watching it in person today was even more depressing.

Interesting think happened in the 2nd half. We were trailing by 24/25 and went on quick run to get it down to 20. The crowd was coming alive and Collins called a quick timeout...all the energy and momentum was gone and NWU had stretched their lead back up around 25 again. NWU just wanted the game more than we did.

It was also sad that this was alumni weekend. Post game interview with FH took awhile and so Kent and Jake pulled in Henry T. Buchanan, and he went off on the effort of the players and how soft that are. 

My dad made the decision after today to not attend anymore games this year.  He apologized and said you are probably going alone the rest of the year as you probably won't be able to find anyone to go watch them lose.  He's probably right.  No matter how ugly and painful it gets, I'm still going to go.  I want to be able to tell someone I was there when the Nebraska Men's Basketball team pulled their heads out of their asses and decided to win again. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I hope I didn’t speak too lightly. He should absolutely be fired and potentially not even allowed to finish the season. This is full incompetence and nearly subversion of duties to field a competitive, tough, caring team. 

Can we fire the team too?  Nothing is going to fix this mess unless it's a complete overhaul. 

2 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

My dad made the decision after today to not attend anymore games this year.  He apologized and said you are probably going alone the rest of the year as you probably won't be able to find anyone to go watch them lose.  He's probably right.  No matter how ugly and painful it gets, I'm still going to go.  I want to be able to tell someone I was there when the Nebraska Men's Basketball team pulled their heads out of their asses and decided to win again. 

I'll go to senior day and that's it. Not going to anymore games this season.

4 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Can we fire the team too?  Nothing is going to fix this mess unless it's a complete overhaul. 

Doesn’t need to be a complete overhaul. There do need to be mentality changes and a few glaring holes/needs on the roster need to be filled and filled well. There are players on the roster that can grow over time and contribute to a winner. 

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Doesn’t need to be a complete overhaul. There do need to be mentality changes and a few glaring holes/needs on the roster need to be filled and filled well. There are players on the roster that can grow over time and contribute to a winner. 

Hard to fix individuals who appear to lack care, heart, hustle and/or effort.  

Your shot may or may not go in a specific play, but you still need to defend.  An opponent may beat you on a dribble, but you still need to pick up someone else and box him out for the rebound.  Your hamstring may be a bit tight, but if you cannot hustle then you shouldn't be on the court. 

An interesting observation.  Northwestern was a .500 club; but during a second half time out call, their players ran to their huddle and was seated and were being talked to BEFORE all of our walking players made it to the huddle.  Just one example of what makes a losing program LOSERS. 

Watch our warm ups like I try to do before every game.  Quite honestly, I have no clue why thy are out there.   They jack around throwing up shots that they would never shoot in a game situation.  

I am so disappointed with this program right now.  Unbelievable!!

I guess my angst shouldn't be with the coaching staff...goodness, I am sure they are going over and beyond with their collective efforts. I (we) should be angry with the AD, the chancellor, the system president and the board of regents for creating this mess.

19 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hard to fix individuals who appear to lack care, heart, hustle and/or effort.  

Your shot may or may not go in a specific play, but you still need to defend.  An opponent may beat you on a dribble, but you still need to pick up someone else and box him out for the rebound.  Your hamstring may be a bit tight, but if you cannot hustle then you shouldn't be on the court. 

An interesting observation.  Northwestern was a .500 club; but during a second half time out call, their players ran to their huddle and was seated and were being talked to BEFORE all of our walking players made it to the huddle.  Just one example of what makes a losing program LOSERS. 

Watch our warm ups like I try to do before every game.  Quite honestly, I have no clue why thy are out there.   They jack around throwing up shots that they would never shoot in a game situation.  

I am so disappointed with this program right now.  Unbelievable!!

I guess my angst shouldn't be with the coaching staff...goodness, I am sure they are going over and beyond with their collective efforts. I (we) should be angry with the AD, the chancellor, the system president and the board of regents for creating this mess.

There are pieces that would fit the bill of what we would want to stick around. Several of them. Not all of them. I’ve definitely seen players learn what kind of effort is required for the daily grind over time. That can come for some of the time young pups. 

2 hours ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

You could argue that this program, who literally is at it's rock bottom, and isn't trying to reclaim some level of achievement like the football program, can take a backseat and is better off just sitting out until the buyout goes down.

If his buyout was $5M he would've been fired a few games ago (of not, after this game). But we shot our shot and we missed bad.

I'm on the state of apathy just getting comfortable with the fact we're likely dealing with this mess for a couple more seasons until it's palatable.

You could go ahead and fire him and hire a new coach, but it's like we're spending $8M/year on a $2M coach and just doesn't make sense from a financial perspective. Just my opinion but who knows what this administration will do. If it was Moos still, he'd probably get a contract extension.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You could argue that this program, who literally is at it's rock bottom, and isn't trying to reclaim some level of achievement like the football program, can take a backseat and is better off just sitting out until the buyout goes down.

If his buyout was $5M he would've been fired a few games ago (of not, after this game). But we shot our shot and we missed bad.

I'm on the state of apathy just getting comfortable with the fact we're likely dealing with this mess for a couple more seasons until it's palatable.

You could go ahead and fire him and hire a new coach, but it's like we're spending $8M/year on a $2M coach and just doesn't make sense from a financial perspective. Just my opinion but who knows what this administration will do. If it was Moos still, he'd probably get a contract extension.

Attendance was still good at the beginning of the season, good enough the ad thought they could get away with raising prices. But no one is going anymore. I won't even take time away from my kids to watch the games on TV at this point. If we just ride it out until the buyout is lower, there won't be anyone left to come to games for a new coach, and it just gets that much harder for a new staff to take off.