Why not here?

Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If there is one thing this year has shown, it's that you can get all of the "top level" talent you want, but if they don't gel, you'll still be 0fer in conference.  I've already seen that we can recruit "talent".  What I haven't seen is that talent gel in any of Fred's three years.

I agree that we need talented pieces that fit together (gel) to be successful, and we clearly don't have that.   But where is all this "top level" talent you speak of?  Just because guys like Walker and Edwards were highly ranked out of HS doesn't mean they are top level talent.  Those recruiting rankings were misses.  Bryce is talented but he is a freshman.  There are very, very few freshman who come in and carry a power 5 team, and Bryce is not one of them.  He could be that by his Jr. or Sr year (maybe even as a sophomore), but he won't be here that long.  Verge is a spaz and a headcase and the most undisciplined defensive player I've ever seen in my life.  I know that Robin said Verge had some guarantee of a 2-way NBA contract but that is rubbish.  No way any pro team guaranteed him anything, that is probably something Verge (or his "camp") told Robin and Robin just took their word.  Walker is nothing close to a 4 start talent, even though his HS rankings said he was.  I could go on.  Once the players have played in college the recruiting rankings are meaningless, we can all just use our eyes and brains to determine if they truly are top level talent. 

17 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I know that Robin said Verge had some guarantee of a 2-way NBA contract but that is rubbish.  No way any pro team guaranteed him anything, that is probably something Verge (or his "camp") told Robin and Robin just took their word. 

It probably wasn't Verge. It was probably Matt A feeding Robin what to say in order to get the "Hey, I'm recruiting NBA-level talent" narrative out there.

18 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I agree that we need talented pieces that fit together (gel) to be successful, and we clearly don't have that.   But where is all this "top level" talent you speak of?  Just because guys like Walker and Edwards were highly ranked out of HS doesn't mean they are top level talent.  Those recruiting rankings were misses.  Bryce is talented but he is a freshman.  There are very, very few freshman who come in and carry a power 5 team, and Bryce is not one of them.  He could be that by his Jr. or Sr year (maybe even as a sophomore), but he won't be here that long.  Verge is a spaz and a headcase and the most undisciplined defensive player I've ever seen in my life.  I know that Robin said Verge had some guarantee of a 2-way NBA contract but that is rubbish.  No way any pro team guaranteed him anything, that is probably something Verge (or his "camp") told Robin and Robin just took their word.  Walker is nothing close to a 4 start talent, even though his HS rankings said he was.  I could go on.  Once the players have played in college the recruiting rankings are meaningless, we can all just use our eyes and brains to determine if they truly are top level talent. 

Oh I agree that recruiting rankings mean diddley squat once you get on the actual floor in college.  I was just responding because your post was excited about all of these guys that were pretty decently rated and haven’t stepped foot on a college floor yet.  We felt the same way coming into this year.

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

I do think Wilhelm can develop into a very solid B1G level player by his Jr./Sr years.  And let's remember, he will be a freshman next year b/c of his injury. 

I think he’s going to be very good too, it I think he played too m up this year to get it back. I believe he’ll be a sophomore next year

On 2/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, NUdiehard said:

I still am not sure what you are trying to say.  All I am saying is there is place for Matt A to remain on staff but have a reduced role on recruiting. 

For instance, let's say up to this point Matt A has been primarily responsible for both scouting (both in person and watching film), evaluating, and recruiting (call, texting, etc) virtually every recruit (so if there are 7 new players Matt A did all three duties for 6 or 7 of those 7 new recruits).  

Why can't Fred just restructure things so that Matt A must share scouting and evaluation duties.  For instance, either Matt A only scouts/evaluates 3 of the 7 new recruits.  Or, even better, if Matt A scouts/evaluates a recruit he really likes, he must then bring in one or 2 other assistant coaches to scout/evaluate both live and film, and of course Fred should be involved in this process as well.  If there is a consensus among all the coaches that this is a recruit that can thrive in Fred's system, then Matt A can go on to the third step of recruiting him (calling, texting, etc).  If there is not a consensus, then either Fred makes the final decision or they have some other form of tie-breaker, such as at least 2 of the 3 assistant coaches must approve of pursuing that recruit.  

Let's say Matt A's greatest strength is developing a report with recruits, getting to know their families, and getting that recruit to trust him.  That is a strength that not every assistant coach has.  Why throw this away simply because he missed on scouting/evaluating some previous recruits?  Why not just reduce his role in scouting/evaluating and free him up to do what he does best which is recruiting.  For instance, maybe a different assistance scouts/evaluates 3 recruits (Matt A had nothing to do with the scout/evaluation process of these recruits), but then that assistant asks Matt A to recruit those recruits (call them, text them, meet the family), etc.  This is teamwork.  Each coach utilizing their strengths.  Simply because Matt A has been poor in scouting/evaluating some past recruits doesn't mean Fred has to get rid of him completely.

Don’t know for sure but I heard Parker is no lock to come here even thought the family loves NU. Not sure he wants to be a part of this mess. A new coach might have a better shot. I think someone on here knows his dad and could clarify.

On 2/4/2022 at 9:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

You want more frustration?

Their second-leading scorer is a 5th-year senior who has played all five seasons ... for Wyoming. Stuck it out through a coaching change. Didn't get cut. Didn't get sent packing. Stuck around. Developed. And he's averaging almost 20 ppg.

Their 3rd-leading scorer was an unranked 2020 juco recruit who came out in the same class as Teddy Allen and Lat Mayen, who were both top 20 juco recruits. Except their guy is averaging 47.5% from 3-point range.

Their 4th-leading scorer is a true sophomore guard who was unranked as a recruit and chose Wyoming over offers from Montana and Northern Colorado. And he's shooting 37% from 3.

And their 5th-leading scorer is another true sophomore. Who turned down offers from Illinois State, New Mexico, and the University of Chicago, to attend Wyoming.

So, THREE TRUE SOPHOMORES (who could all officially be freshmen, just like Eduardo), a 2nd-year unranked juco kid, and a 5th year senior who's spent his whole career at Wyoming.

And they're KenPom top 50.

We're doing something wrong here.

Another nice win for the Pokes tonight, Normy!   Road win at Fresno State.  19-3.  

On 2/4/2022 at 7:43 PM, hhcmatt said:

I'd expect the bathwater to be changed; I'm not sure what happens to the baby.

Maybe Nebraska rips off 6 wins here in the next month.  Wouldn't that be something.

I don't fault Matt A. He's doing what Fred wants him to do. 

Matt got him players and it was Fred's job to get them to play like a team. 

You play how you practice. Everything we are seeing is directly related to what is being done in practice.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, NUdiehard said:

I still am not sure what you are trying to say.  All I am saying is there is place for Matt A to remain on staff but have a reduced role on recruiting. 

For instance, let's say up to this point Matt A has been primarily responsible for both scouting (both in person and watching film), evaluating, and recruiting (call, texting, etc) virtually every recruit (so if there are 7 new players Matt A did all three duties for 6 or 7 of those 7 new recruits).  

Why can't Fred just restructure things so that Matt A must share scouting and evaluation duties.  For instance, either Matt A only scouts/evaluates 3 of the 7 new recruits.  Or, even better, if Matt A scouts/evaluates a recruit he really likes, he must then bring in one or 2 other assistant coaches to scout/evaluate both live and film, and of course Fred should be involved in this process as well.  If there is a consensus among all the coaches that this is a recruit that can thrive in Fred's system, then Matt A can go on to the third step of recruiting him (calling, texting, etc).  If there is not a consensus, then either Fred makes the final decision or they have some other form of tie-breaker, such as at least 2 of the 3 assistant coaches must approve of pursuing that recruit.  

Let's say Matt A's greatest strength is developing a report with recruits, getting to know their families, and getting that recruit to trust him.  That is a strength that not every assistant coach has.  Why throw this away simply because he missed on scouting/evaluating some previous recruits?  Why not just reduce his role in scouting/evaluating and free him up to do what he does best which is recruiting.  For instance, maybe a different assistance scouts/evaluates 3 recruits (Matt A had nothing to do with the scout/evaluation process of these recruits), but then that assistant asks Matt A to recruit those recruits (call them, text them, meet the family), etc.  This is teamwork.  Each coach utilizing their strengths.  Simply because Matt A has been poor in scouting/evaluating some past recruits doesn't mean Fred has to get rid of him completely.

Matt can’t really coach, so if you take away some recruiting from him he can’t help you anywhere else. He’s a joke