2022-23 roster

kldm64

Sense this season didn't turn out like anyone expected, thought we'd look ahead to next year.  Obviously, we don't want a complete roster flip yet again so wondering how many players will return (assuming Fred is retained as coach).  Here is a list of players that are eligible to return.  Here is my guess on the ones think will return and the ones I don't want to return.

C.J. Wilcher

- I want him to return

- Prediction = he will return

Trey McGowens

- I want him to return

- Prediction = he will not return

Quaran McPherson

- I want him to return

Bryce McGowens

- I want him to return

Lat Mayen

- I don't want him to return

Derrick Walker

- I want him to return

Keon Edwards

- I want him to return

Keisei Tominaga

- I want him to return

Wilhelm Breidenbach

- I want him to return

Oleg Kojenets

- I want him to return

Eduardo Andre

- I want him to return

So if I'm correct (and of course, I'm just guessing), that only gives us 5 returning players.  

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

According to Robin Washut, within the past week, "momentum is building" toward both Trey McGowens and Derrick Walker returning.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That would be game changing TBH.

Yeah that would be pretty great news honestly.  The biggest roster change we need to see is...guys sticking around for more than a year or so.

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

According to Robin Washut, within the past week, "momentum is building" toward both Trey McGowens and Derrick Walker returning.

I'm not sure where either of them would go if they don't return.  Neither will get a sniff at the NBA.  Maybe one/both is ready to be done with basketball, or give a shot overseas, but if they really want to play ball their best bet it to return.

Seems the biggest areas of need next year are point guard and power forward. 

Point guard is a huge massive hole.  Have to imagine they are looking once again to the transfer portal to try and fill this, but they have to hit better than in years past.  Would be awesome to snag Avery Brown, but there just hasn't been much chatter on him lately so hard to know where we stand at this point.

As for power forward, if Lat does not return the only player on next year's roster that even comes close to a PF is Wilhelm, and he is more of a hybrid 4/5.  I worry about his lack of quickness limiting his ability to guard the 4, and he is going to need to improve his 3-point shot if he wants to be a consistent PF.  Wilcher has been playing some PF this year, but it obviously is not ideal.  NU has enough trouble on the boards and playing so small does not help.  This means Fred may have to look to the transfer portal for a PF.  With that said, I wouldn't completely rule out Lat returning.  Not sure if this would be good or bad, but he is very close with Trey.  If Trey returns, it is possible Lat returns as well. 

I will be surprised if Keon returns, but he admittedly is in a tough spot since he has already transferred once and would have to sit out a year if he transfers again. 

We obviously have not seen Oleg play at all, but based on what little I have watched from him in warm-ups, I don't see him ever being a factor in the B1G.  If Walker returns, we will have Walker, Andre, Keita and Wilhelm at center, not sure we need Oleg as well.  Even if Wilhelm plays the 4, we still don't need 4 centers, especially considering Wilhelm can play the 5 if we need an extra 5.

Edited by NUdiehard

8 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I'm not sure where either of them would go if they don't return.  Neither will get a sniff at the NBA.  Maybe one/both is ready to be done with basketball, or give a shot overseas, but if they really want to play ball their best bet it to return.

According to Washut, Derrick Walker has no interest in playing ball professionally.  He is starting a trucking business and figures another year of scholarship and NIL will help.

I'd prefer that anyone with eligibility comes back, even the guys that I have been disappointed in.  I want to see some roster continuity.  As for guessing who returns?  I sure don't know.  We've had such a  revolving door under Hoiberg that I'm no longer surprised by anyone leaving early. 

Keon seems to be the one with the toughest decision, since he's already used his free transfer but has been buried on the depth chart.  Maybe he looks at any minutes played in '22-'23 as better than a sit-out transfer, or maybe he decides to drop a level of competition to ensure he gets playing time in '23-24.  No clue.  If Walker does indeed come back, then that may nudge Andre towards the transfer portal.  It's hard to see him wanting to back up Walker another year, particularly when the addition of Keita will further reduce playing time.  Would Fred be willing to play two non-shooting bigs simultaneously?  If not, then that really is putting Andre in a bad spot.

30 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

My humble opinion only...both Trey and Bryce return.  Just a hunch...just a guess...nothing more, nothing less.

You need to get that hunch outta your head.  No way in hell Bryce is coming back, and he would be stupid to do so.  If he's a first-rounder he is literally costing himself millions of dollars coming back.

30 minutes ago, 49r said:

You need to get that hunch outta your head.  No way in hell Bryce is coming back, and he would be stupid to do so.  If he's a first-rounder he is literally costing himself millions of dollars coming back.

As much as I'd love to see him again next year, I agree with you.  And guessing Fred will advise him to leave for his benefit

Bryce is looking more and more like a 1st round pick each game.  He was dominant against Michigan.  I can't see him returning at all.  

Despite whatever fans say, I think the coaches and players really like Lat and that he will return.  

I still think Trey is our best option at PG right now because of his ability to get to the lane and guard the other team's PG.  He was starting to look natural at the position last year.  If I'm Fred, I tell him the spot is his next season to get him back.  He's such a great athlete that I think he could be more of a Westbrook type for us.  

Of all the people on the roster, Quaran might be the most natural PG.  I'm going to be very curious about him next season.  

Wilhelm's injury really hurts his development because the only thing he was really lacking was getting used to the speed of the game.  I hope he can play the 4 next year.

Love where we're at with the 5s if Walker comes back.  

I also think Ramel Lloyd will start at the 2 as a freshman and be a better all around player than Bryce was in the first half of the season, but not as good as Bryce is now.  He's very, very good on both ends and is dominating with an elite high school team.  I wish we had an in with Bronny James, his teammate.  Talk about a PG.  

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Sense this season didn't turn out like anyone expected, thought we'd look ahead to next year.  Obviously, we don't want a complete roster flip yet again so wondering how many players will return (assuming Fred is retained as coach).  Here is a list of players that are eligible to return.  Here is my guess on the ones think will return and the ones I don't want to return.

C.J. Wilcher

- I want him to return

Trey McGowens

- I want him to return

Quaran McPherson

- I want him to return

Bryce McGowens

- I want him to return

Lat Mayen

- I don't want him to return

Derrick Walker

- I want him to return

Keon Edwards

- I want him to return

Keisei Tominaga

- I want him to return

Wilhelm Breidenbach

- I want him to return

Oleg Kojenets

- I want him to return

Eduardo Andre

- I want him to return

So if I'm correct (and of course, I'm just guessing), that only gives us 5 returning players.  

Two I personally disagree with. Keon is probably going to return since he has already transferred and won't be eligible next year. A redshirt year could do him some good, so maybe that's the sell for him. I'm penciling him back. 

With Walker, as someone said above, both him and Trey are looking at coming back, with Walker more likely. If he does, Andre will probably hits the portal. Will be the second center at best on the roster. Walker will be above him and Kieta will be breathing down his neck. And Wilhelm can rotate between the 4/5 also, so he'll have a say in his minutes. 

Big thing in the offseason is obviously a ball handler. There's going to be some available, just choose the right guy. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I am going to try to believe until I hear it from Bryce, Trey or Coach McGowan. 

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I might walk around downtown with my pants on my head if both Walker and Trey returned.

I really think Brice is gone.  Some of the stats they showed last night during the game are just too good not to get into the G league Big team swing package.

I don't think Brice is gone but pretty sure Bryce will be gone  🤣

IF we wanted to go with a more traditional line up next year I would argue that Ed will have a chance at more playing time...or not.

Blaise is a true five as is Andre.  But let's not yet sleep on Oleg.  Granted I have only seen bits and pieces but he seems to have some good offensive tools.  He has a good genealogy as well.  With those three it frees DW and Wilhelm to play a more traditional PF position.  Not sure that is the cards, but it certainly provides options. 

Just remember, for whatever reason(s) Andre didn't appear much, if at all, early on.  He appears to be improving IF he could stop whining and fouling.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Sorry but I just can' help myself.  I might need counseling

I know I'm not supposed to get excited until these guys get here and put on a Husker uniform and actually do something against B1G competition, but damn it...despite the current state of our program under Fred, I want to see these guys playing together next season.

36 minutes ago, hugh42 said:

I know I'm not supposed to get excited until these guys get here and put on a Husker uniform and actually do something against B1G competition, but damn it...despite the current state of our program under Fred, I want to see these guys playing together next season.

I'm just going to state the facts and not serve or drink the Kool-Aid.

When I see a (4*) power forward who is at least 6-9 who can actually drive, shoot and REBOUND, then I will get a little bit excited.  Right now there 4 teams in the big ten that are just reloading and we are still trying to compete with big 10 average talent upgrades (3*s).  Look at the other big ten teams and see who they recruit. We' are not that much better.