uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 22 - vs. Michigan

hhcmatt

7 minutes ago, HB said:

Dimes is YOUNG.   🤦‍♂️   Man, I loved me some Handy Johnson back in the day.   And loved watching him drive Moe crazy.  

Would have barely been in grade school. I don't have first hand experience watching Dave Hoppen or even Mike Rozier that I can recall.

20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Would have barely been in grade school. I don't have first hand experience watching Dave Hoppen or even Mike Rozier that I can recall.

That’s too bad we were REALLY good, Greg Downing & Jerry Shoecraft would run these baseline alley oops that were absolutely *sick*…!!! And along with Handy, Stan Cloudy was the MAN!

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Still trying to wrap my head around Trey McGowens not playing the last 12 minutes. I'm sitting here re-watching the game because I don't get it.

Good thought. At the very least, Fred needed to substitute defense for offense on the deadball during CJ's free throws that tied it.

Fred gets too wrapped up in leaving the 'hot hands' on the floor late. At some point, you need to cash out what Keisei gave you on offense before what he gives you on defense bites you in the a$$. 

Plus we still had a timeout at that point, so if we get a stop with Trey on the floor, take the timeout and sub Keisei back in if you feel that strongly about having him in there on offense.

Encouraging effort, even if the result was just another loss. Bryce's offense is really starting to show why he has first-round potential. He really seems motivated with Trey being back. If both of them were staying for 2022-23, this type of game would've been very encouraging.

Unfortunately, it is just another in a string of losses because we almost certainly are not building toward anything with this core group and will be starting from ground zero again next season.

53 minutes ago, brfrad said:

This game felt much like the Michigan football game.  A competitive game, and we find a way to lose.  The football game was a good game.  It still was a gut punch because of our record.  If we were 5 - 1 at the time, a little easier to swallow.  The basketball game was a good, competitive game, and find a way to lose.  Much easier to swallow if we are 11 - 10 going into the game.

Actually, the 11-10 scenario would be harder to swallow, since we would still be playing for something.  The loss would mean something.  Hard to be too crestfallen over the difference between 6-16 and 7-15, or 0-11 vs. 1-10.   Or whatever our record is.  

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Our team was built to shoot lights out behind the arc, forcing teams to play the full court which opens up some lanes, playing at a top 10 fastest pace, and outscoring our opponents in transition baskets.

But instead, we can't make our shots, we don't distribute the ball well, we turn it over, and  get overmatched at the post it causes us to throw up too many unwarranted shots.

Hoiberg has doubled down and tripled down that this is the type of philosophy he wants to run and hasn't adapted when he finds out the integral centerpiece of our team's ability to make shots just isn't there with this roster.

Good assessment. I don't begrudge Hoiberg for wanting to be different than the rest of the conference.  If you want to compete with the big boys, you can either run the same system as everyone else with more talent, or you can run a system that makes their talent uncomfortable.  The concept of spreading the floor with shooters and making those big diesel trucks defend in space is a good one.  It's the same reason the early adaptor spread offenses had so much success in college football.  The problem is that our guys don't run our system well enough to make the other teams uncomfortable, so we have zero advantage on the offensive end and a huge disadvantage on the defensive end. 

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Our team was built to shoot lights out behind the arc, forcing teams to play the full court which opens up some lanes, playing at a top 10 fastest pace, and outscoring our opponents in transition baskets.

Maybe adjust our style or focus at times coach

first.jpg

Keon Edwards played 2 minutes at center yesterday in part because everyone was in foul trouble.

Is that something we've tried or does Edwards in practice just look like the world's worst 6'7" high school phenom?

I like CJ Wilcher. I think he probably is the best shooter we have on the team.  I think he'll get better the longer he stays here.   He's a below average rebounder though and probably always will be.  We were lucky to be in this thing having to play him at the 4 for so many minutes, which is why I won't complain about the number of minutes Lat Mayen plays: I've seen all the other available options at the 4.

Walker battles and gives great effort, but he only had 1 rebound the entire game.  He only had 3 RBs vs. Rutgers.  He is not close to his listed 6'9" (probably closer to 6'7") and is massively undersized. In comparison, Andre had 4 rebounds in just 14 minutes of playing time. 

I was okay with not playing Verge down the stretch because he was reverting to his constant one-on-one attempts in the lane that weren't even touching rim.  Tougher call on whether to play Trey down the stretch.  Trey is a very good defender, but man he just is not giving anything on offense (also had 3 turnovers).  Not only does he not score, but his man can play off him which clogs the lane.  In contrast, Keisei was playing well and hit the 3 which forces the defender to play him tight at all times, thereby opening the floor for Bryce to drive.  NU was on absolute disaster to start the 2nd half (when Trey was in the game) and then NU went on its 17-2 second half run while Trey was on the bench, so can see why Fred rolled with him.  But I do agree, at a minimum, I would have liked to see some offense defense substitutions during the last 2 minutes.  it is tricky with just one timeout though, so hard to know when to deploy this strategy.   

Edited by NUdiehard

I thought we played okay but we continue to make the little mistakes that end up being costly.  

I didn't mind the technical.  I would have gotten one if I were called for a foul in that same situation.  Perhaps (haha) the Big Ten (lol) could come out and admit the error (yeah right).

Fred admits the five he was riding was tired, but made no change while Trey was sitting right next to him???

Bryce continues to improve...

Dickinson (sp) was ungaurdible, but kudos to both DW and Andre for their efforts.

I wonder if it is possible to have the two of them on the floor for a few minutes at the same time.  Heck, we are 0fer so it is not much of a risk to try it???

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I like CJ Wilcher. I think he probably is the best shooter we have on the team.  I think he'll get better the longer he stays here.   He's a below average rebounder though and probably always will be.  We were lucky to be in this thing having to play him at the 4 for so many minutes, which is why I won't complain about the number of minutes Lat Mayen plays: I've seen all the other available options at the 4.

Can't. Guard.  Anyone.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Keon Edwards played 2 minutes at center yesterday in part because everyone was in foul trouble.

Is that something we've tried or does Edwards in practice just look like the world's worst 6'7" high school phenom?

What’s the deal with Edwards, is he sick/hurt, just that BAD or were we sold a complete bill of goods…?

49 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

What’s the deal with Edwards, is he sick/hurt, just that BAD or were we sold a complete bill of goods…?

Sounds like a bill of goods.  Yet if so, how pray tell was he starting earlier this season?

Just an aside, when watching him in the intro scrimmage, I was impressed with his athleticism.   But when the season rolled around, he looks like a different player.  I have no clue why there appears to be a day to night difference.

Edited by Huskerpapa

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sounds like a bill of goods.  Yet if so, how pray tell was he starting earlier this season?

Just an aside, when watching him in the intro scrimmage, I was impressed with his athleticism.   But when the season rolled around, he looks like a different player.  I have no clue why there appears to be a day to night difference.

Early in the season, it seemed to me like the second group of guys off the bench (Wilcher, KT, Andre, Kobe, Wilhelm) gelled when they came in. I always interpreted it as let that group remain as it was and just throw Keon into Trey's spot since Verge and Bryce were going to be blackholes anyways.

7 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

He was a boarderline 5 star recruit fwiw.

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have a buddy that went to DePaul, big hoops fan, he made it sound like we were getting Mark Aguirre/Terry Cummings rolled into one…

Season isn't over but at this point Alonzo Edwards has had a bigger impact in a Husker uniform than Keon.

Part of the reason we're one of the worst Nebraska basketball teams in history is because we're buying scratch-off tickets at the gas station instead of going to the grocery store to shop for the basics like milk, bread, or ball handlers.

28 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/alonzo-edwards/9754

Basketball player from the Doc Sadler era with a tenuous grasp on basketball's traveling violation rules

I thought you were speaking only about the current roster and somehow confused Alonzo Verge/Keon Edwards into some mashup of a former player's name and it got me mixed up.  But I digress, you have cleared things up for me now.  Thanks.