Sanogo and Whitt

75unlgrad

Remember when it was projected that Adama Sanogo and Carter Whitt were going to sign with the Huskers

Adama Sanogo is a 6'9" (240 lbs) center that chose Connecticut over Nebraska at the last minute.  He was ranked as the #70 player (Rivals) in the 2020 class.  Last year as a freshman at Connecticut, he earned Big East All Freshman Team and is considered one of the top big men returning to the Big East.

Carter Whitt is a 6'3" point guard.  He too was projected to sign with Nebraska and chose Wake Forrest over Nebraska at the last minute.  He was ranked the #63 player (Rivals) in the 2020 class and the #10 point guard nationally.

How different would our team have been the last two years IF these two players would have chosen Nebraska?  We desperately need a true post player and a true point guard.  I can't help thinking how exciting our future would look with these two building blocks in their sophomore season.  Instead, we have a lot of 'doom and gloom' and not much hope.  I didn't realize at the time how impactful those two defections were.  

Hypotheticals can be a dangerous slippery slope to go down, but this one seems very reasonable.  We were supposedly in the driver's seat for months to land both players, and both play at positions at which we need help.  It's interesting to think how this team would look with a true floor general on the court, and with some added size for rebounding. Not sure how good we would be, but I feel safe guaranteeing we wouldn't be 0fer in conference play.

12 hours ago, busticket said:

Carter Whitt would have fit in here great.  He is shooting a blistering 20% from three.  He doesn’t play much for Wake Forest but you never know how he would have done here.  

It would have allowed us to legitimately list a player as PG on the roster

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I get more of a Starsky and Hutch vibe.

I'm thinking more like "Hap and Leonard" an excellent series on Sundance which didn't get to have a 4th season because one of the stars, the late Michael K. Williams, died before it could be filmed. Worth streaming if you didn't catch it the first time around. 

Sanogo is obviously playing extremely well at UConn, but missing on Whitt was about as big a blow that could've happened. He's not doing well at WF, but the idea of a legitimate playmaking PG on this roster was something the staff couldn't miss on. To compound that, they haven't recovered yet after missing on him. No pg this class upcoming and McPherson is a massive question mark even if I like his energy. 

There will be transfers available by the truckload here over the next month. NEEEEEEDDDD to get a point that runs an offense FOR OTHERS and not himself. Then having two creators with him and Trey next year (assuming he comes back) or Lloyd fits into the kind of system that Fred runs in theory. Getting supporting pieces will help, but a legitimate ball handling creator for others will help this team so much next year. Verge does it well, but he far too often goes tunnel vision which has been a reason for his benchings to close games. 

Edited by thrasher31

8 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Sanogo is obviously playing extremely well at UConn, but missing on Whitt was about as big a blow that could've happened. He's not doing well at WF, but the idea of a legitimate playmaking PG on this roster was something the staff couldn't miss on. To compound that, they haven't recovered yet after missing on him. No pg this class upcoming and McPherson is a massive question mark even if I like his energy. 

There will be transfers available by the truckload here over the next month. NEEEEEEDDDD to get a point that runs an offense FOR OTHERS and not himself. Then having two creators with him and Trey next year (assuming he comes back) or Lloyd fits into the kind of system that Fred runs in theory. Getting supporting pieces will help, but a legitimate ball handling creator for others will help this team so much next year. Verge does it well, but he far too often goes tunnel vision which has been a reason for his benchings to close games. 

Those two, especially Whitt, gives us some young guys to build around for multiple years.  Now we're stuck in the revolving door of refilling rosters.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Those two, especially Whitt, gives us some young guys to build around for multiple years.  Now we're stuck in the revolving door of refilling rosters.

Exactly. And I've liked some of the young guys they brought in. Our bigs have been pretty good this year, so while sangogo would've been positive, I don't look at it as that determintal. With Whitt, you roll the dice on the kid and do everything you can to seal it. 

Taking Elijah wood took us out of the running for him, and Elijah transferred after the year. Massive mistake, which is why I think they left one scholly open this time around. In the off chance someone like him opens up. 

I can get into who left and etc, but that's a long winded discussion. Lol

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I was impressed by Sanogo last night even though he was outperformed by Kalkbrenner. Wish he had decided to become a Cornhusker and wonder how close we came. 

Sanago is a very good player.  He was having bad luck last night, in that his shots just were not falling.  I don't think Kalkbrenner intimidated him????  But maybe Sanago rushed his shot a bit because of him.

Sanago's straight up man on Kalkbrenner appeared good; but Creighton started to make the extra passes and when Sanago helped off, nobody provided backside help, freeing Kalkbrenner up.  

Big win for Creighton.

They both sign and the Bryce doesn’t come here and we still finish last….

Hypotheticals will kill your soul.

Yes it’s a bummer but I think our struggles as a team are much more than the talent, it’s work ethic/drive/team cohesion.

Until we figure that out, just adding a bunch more talent is a bandaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was wondering on how Whitt was doing this year, and oof (stats below). He may be a transfer candidate. And if so, take him as a 2nd pg. Not the only PG (chubba purdy/Casey Thompson like). He didn't check in at all during the closing season game vs NC State, even after they cleared the bench. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/carter-whitt-1.html

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sanago is a very good player.  He was having bad luck last night, in that his shots just were not falling.  I don't think Kalkbrenner intimidated him????  But maybe Sanago rushed his shot a bit because of him.

Sanago's straight up man on Kalkbrenner appeared good; but Creighton started to make the extra passes and when Sanago helped off, nobody provided backside help, freeing Kalkbrenner up.  

Big win for Creighton.

McD owns Hurley for sure. No clue why UConn did not adjust. I hate CU but McD is damn good and is winning with defense and poor 3 point shooting this year. Kalkbrenner is their mvp in my mind. 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:52 PM, 75unlgrad said:

Remember when it was projected that Adama Sanogo and Carter Whitt were going to sign with the Huskers

Adama Sanogo is a 6'9" (240 lbs) center that chose Connecticut over Nebraska at the last minute.  He was ranked as the #70 player (Rivals) in the 2020 class.  Last year as a freshman at Connecticut, he earned Big East All Freshman Team and is considered one of the top big men returning to the Big East.

Carter Whitt is a 6'3" point guard.  He too was projected to sign with Nebraska and chose Wake Forrest over Nebraska at the last minute.  He was ranked the #63 player (Rivals) in the 2020 class and the #10 point guard nationally.

How different would our team have been the last two years IF these two players would have chosen Nebraska?  We desperately need a true post player and a true point guard.  I can't help thinking how exciting our future would look with these two building blocks in their sophomore season.  Instead, we have a lot of 'doom and gloom' and not much hope.  I didn't realize at the time how impactful those two defections were.  

Not directed at you specifically, but just a general rant.

Recruitniks love talking about "the ones that got away." 

Recruiting boards have multiple threads full of what if's and re-ranking recruiting classes type of talk.

What I find much more fascinating is the number of people who pay subs for the honor of seeing information that is readily available for free elsewhere.