At this point, if things keep going this way ...

Norm Peterson

What to do?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Here's what I think SHOULD happen

• I agree with @NUdiehard. Miles left a mess and Hoiberg needs at LEAST 5 seasons to make a dent. Keep him.
    • If we each kicked in 5 bucks, we'd only need 3.7 million fans to contribute to buy him out right now! Let Doc finish coaching the season. Or Gates. Or the ball boy. Let's DO this!
    • I would rather see him forced to coach another year than pay the full buyout. If he won't voluntarily take a big cut, then make him show up for another disaster season. He'll eventually beg for mercy and "retire" for "health reasons" or something.
  2. 2. Here's what I think WILL happen

• I think he turns this around. We've had some screwy issues of some players not meshing, but I see some good signs for the future.
    • They'll renegotiate his deal, make some staff changes like Frost, and bring him back, but it's probably just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    • I think there are probably enough donors with big enough bank accounts who don't want to see this institutional damage to the program continue that they'll reach a deal to buy him out the end of this season.
    • Trev probably feels the need to keep his powder dry just in case they need to make a change in football, and so, for better or worse, we're probably stuck with Fred and can't afford the buyout, like Minnesota and Richard Pitino a few years back. At least until we see what happens with football next season.

8 hours ago, nustudent said:

I think you meant to tag Diehard rather than me.  That being said, I agree Fred was left a mess from a returning talent perspective.   But that doesn’t mean he’s not culpable in what’s going on right now.   
If we can’t afford $20M for football, we can’t afford $18.5M for basketball. So he’ll keep his job moreso for that than the direction we’re heading.   

im sure there will be some reworking of the contract in case he wins 7 again next year.  

With every blowout loss against bottom half of BIG 10 opponent makes it easier for TA to pull the trigger. As we all know Nebraska fans are not the type to want to fire a coach so long as there is effort and competitiveness. What they can't stand and is lack of effort and horrific performances. It is well documented here that FH is the worst coach ever at Nebraska, a school that has never won an NCAA Tournament game.

I vacillate on wanting him fired because I'd like to see him coach 4 full years, then there are games like Iowa. There have been many many many games like Iowa during all 3yrs he has coached here. What ever magic he had at ISU seems to be long gone. If things continue the way they are TA won't have much difficulty selling the necessity of firing him...to anybody.

4 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

And you know Doc brings no value how?

When you have no idea what a person does, it's easy to say they aren't doing a good job of it. Takes me back to the days of Marc Boehm.

I think there's a quote from Voltaire: "Though I have no idea what it is you do, I'll defend to the death the opinion that you've done it poorly or not at all." Or something like that.

Maybe it was Albert Einstein, not Voltaire.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Your point of view is based on a poor interpretation of what you think is happening as opposed to what is actually happening. Half your post is filled with "I assume" so I don't understand why you think you're the one who is on the money.

Thus you are happy with Matt for recruiting some wings while simultaneously not happy with Matt for not recruiting a PG.

I don't assume that. And I have also said I wouldn't fire any of them.

But Gates is a pg coach. Has been his entire career of note. And a pretty darn good one. So if he's not coaching the point guards what is he doing?

Expecially if he isn't recruiting.

The problem this year is that a. Our team has a severe accountability issue. And b. Our 2 best players don't like each other and don't play well together.

The first falls on one guy, Fred Hoiberg.

The second I have said many times I was giving them a pass on. No matter who recruited them. Because with the 5th year transfers and the portal and covid this entire recruiting class was brand new territory and they weren't able to do the typical recruiting on campus visits where they find out who likes who. Who meshes who doesn't. Etc.

No matter how you slice it, if we don't fire Hoiberg the only way this shit show gets turned around is through recruiting. It's litterally the only possible way we aren't just throwing away a year and our entire roster leaving nothing at all here for a new coach to even start with. So the Dumbest thing that this program can do is fire the guy who just signed our best class in decades. We are either recruiting our way out of this mess or we're not. Simple as that.

As I said have said, again. I wouldn't fire anyone 

But if someone has to be the sacrifice the guy who either couldn't get any of those guys to be a legitimate pg option or is not recruiting and not coaching the one position he has been working with his entire career. Not the only chance this isn't a 5-6 year hellscape while we wait and hope the next guy at least leaves us enough pieces that the guy after him can maybe not be absolutely screwed his first season.

I think there's no way you can fire Hoiberg right now and get anyone else with even half as much of a chance to end up being better than this staff.  Expecially while eating $12 Million dollars.

So if you don't fire Hoiberg:

This is is an excellent staff and Gates is better than anyone you are going to replace him with. Ditto for every coach we have on staff.

Firing any of them is shortsighted.

This season is one you just toss out and learn from.

The only way out of this mess is to recruit our way out.

Firing the best recruiter on the staff and one of the best recruiters in the country period is a really REALLY dumb idea.

Our best hope by far is to just do nothing, hope they know what the problems are and they are able to fix them. Otherwise it's going to be a horrible decade on top of dozens of horrible decades of Nebraska Basketball.

31 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

With every blowout loss against bottom half of BIG 10 opponent makes it easier for TA to pull the trigger. As we all know Nebraska fans are not the type to want to fire a coach so long as there is effort and competitiveness. What they can't stand and is lack of effort and horrific performances. It is well documented here that FH is the worst coach ever at Nebraska, a school that has never won an NCAA Tournament game.

I vacillate on wanting him fired because I'd like to see him coach 4 full years, then there are games like Iowa. There have been many many many games like Iowa during all 3yrs he has coached here. What ever magic he had at ISU seems to be long gone. If things continue the way they are TA won't have much difficulty selling the necessity of firing him...to anybody.

I am CONFIDENT if this poll was retaken there would be more than 5 in the category I chose!

32 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I don't assume that. And I have also said I wouldn't fire any of them.

But Gates is a pg coach. Has been his entire career of note. And a pretty darn good one. So if he's not coaching the point guards what is he doing?

Expecially if he isn't recruiting.

The problem this year is that a. Our team has a severe accountability issue. And b. Our 2 best players don't like each other and don't play well together.

The first falls on one guy, Fred Hoiberg.

The second I have said many times I was giving them a pass on. No matter who recruited them. Because with the 5th year transfers and the portal and covid this entire recruiting class was brand new territory and they weren't able to do the typical recruiting on campus visits where they find out who likes who. Who meshes who doesn't. Etc.

No matter how you slice it, if we don't fire Hoiberg the only way this shit show gets turned around is through recruiting. It's litterally the only possible way we aren't just throwing away a year and our entire roster leaving nothing at all here for a new coach to even start with. So the Dumbest thing that this program can do is fire the guy who just signed our best class in decades. We are either recruiting our way out of this mess or we're not. Simple as that.

As I said have said, again. I wouldn't fire anyone 

But if someone has to be the sacrifice the guy who either couldn't get any of those guys to be a legitimate pg option or is not recruiting and not coaching the one position he has been working with his entire career. Not the only chance this isn't a 5-6 year hellscape while we wait and hope the next guy at least leaves us enough pieces that the guy after him can maybe not be absolutely screwed his first season.

I think there's no way you can fire Hoiberg right now and get anyone else with even half as much of a chance to end up being better than this staff.  Expecially while eating $12 Million dollars.

So if you don't fire Hoiberg:

This is is an excellent staff and Gates is better than anyone you are going to replace him with. Ditto for every coach we have on staff.

Firing any of them is shortsighted.

This season is one you just toss out and learn from.

The only way out of this mess is to recruit our way out.

Firing the best recruiter on the staff and one of the best recruiters in the country period is a really REALLY dumb idea.

Our best hope by far is to just do nothing, hope they know what the problems are and they are able to fix them. Otherwise it's going to be a horrible decade on top of dozens of horrible decades of Nebraska Basketball.

Good Lord, man. 

6 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Gates was only here for one year with Glynn and had absolutely nothing to do with Cam Mack coming to play for Nebraska. 

Where are you getting this stuff?

Huh? When did I ever say Gates got Mack here? Mack was going to St John's until we hired Abdelmassih. St John's fired Mullin days after losing Abdelmassih and he wasn't on the hottest seat before that. Mack litterally followed Abdelmassih here after decommitting from St. Johns after the news broke. 

https://stormthepaint.com/2020/05/21/former-st-johns-basketball-commit-potentially-turns-former-assistant/

Gates has always worked with the back court guys and notably the point. He spent a lot of time working with Mack. I never said he recruited him. He only spent a year with Glynn but was very heavily involved with McIntosh at Northwestern. Everywhere he has coached there was a pretty good pg he helped develop. Except here. I expected him to do great things with Trey but because of multiple reasons that didn't happen. And Verge is what Verge is. I don't blame Gates. Like I said several times I wouldn't fire any of them. Maybe change a few things, give guys more power to get after guys who aren't doing the stuff like cleaning up the locker room. But a recruiting oversight and more inclusion probably wouldn't hurt.

What do these guys do all day if they don't recruit? That's like 98% of the clock time for most coaches. If these other guys don't recruit our game plan analytics must be insanely detailed. Lol.

I'm saying can we give these guys ONE semi normal season to show what they can do before we throw it out and go back to being the worst major basketball program in the country. I mean we suck.can we maybe give these guys a year where they actually have dudes coming back, are bringing more in and actually might be able to actually have some normal practice and game times. If it fails by all means go back to sucking with some other coach that doesn't have at least a shred of a shot to stop us from being so pathetic at men's athletics. 

It's not like he took over a great program with an actual roster to take control of and a regular big ten basketball season. No they took on the worst program in history with no roster, covid - twice and a year where they had game prep during pregame warm-ups and a month of wall to wall makeup games. This year was awful yeah. So buisness as usual for Big Red hoops. I am saying we know what we have to look forward to if we fire these guys. Just look at the last two decades.  Are you all that unwilling to just sit back and let it ride for a year or two. If it doesn't work we wasted a few years before resuming our regularly scheduled Nebraska Basketball programing with being awful at shooting the basketball followed by missing 5000 bunnies a year. Staring another guy who will be fired in 3 years. But if it clicks?

Edited by Blackshirt83

4 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Huh? When did I ever say Gates got Mack here? Mack was going to St John's until we hired Abdelmassih. St John's fired Mullin days after losing Abdelmassih and he wasn't on the hottest seat before that. Mack litterally followed Abdelmassih here after decommitting from St. Johns after the news broke. 

https://stormthepaint.com/2020/05/21/former-st-johns-basketball-commit-potentially-turns-former-assistant/

Gates has always worked with the back court guys and notably the point. He spent a lot of time working with Mack. I never said he recruited him. He only spent a year with Glynn but was very heavily involved with McIntosh at Northwestern. Everywhere he has coached there was a pretty good pg he helped develop. Except here. I expected him to do great things with Trey but because of multiple reasons that didn't happen. And Verge is what Verge is. I don't blame Gates. Like I said several times I wouldn't fire any of them. Maybe change a few things, give guys more power to get after guys who aren't doing the stuff like cleaning up the locker room. But a recruiting oversight and more inclusion probably wouldn't hurt.

What do these guys do all day if they don't recruit? That's like 98% of the clock time for most coaches. If these other guys don't recruit our game plan analytics must be insanely detailed. Lol.

I'm saying can we give these guys ONE semi normal season to show what they can do before we throw it out and go back to being the worst major basketball program in the country. I mean we suck.can we maybe give these guys a year where they actually have dudes coming back, are bringing more in and actually might be able to actually have some normal practice and game times. If it fails by all means go back to sucking with some other coach that doesn't have at least a shred of a shot to stop us from being so pathetic at men's athletics. 

It's not like he took over a great program with an actual roster to take control of and a regular big ten basketball season. No they took on the worst program in history with no roster, covid - twice and a year where they had game prep during pregame warm-ups and a month of wall to wall makeup games. This year was awful yeah. So buisness as usual for Big Red hoops. I am saying we know what we have to look forward to if we fire these guys. Just look at the last two decades.  Are you all that unwilling to just sit back and let it ride for a year or two. If it doesn't work we wasted a few years before resuming our regularly scheduled Nebraska Basketball programing with being awful at shooting the basketball followed by missing 5000 bunnies a year. Staring another guy who will be fired in 3 years. But if it clicks?

Apparently you aren’t into the whole brevity thing. 

5 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Swing and a complete miss on Nebraska basketball history. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, Blackshirt83 said:

Doc has no actual coaching or recruiting role. He is the special assistant to the head coach. That means he watches practice but doesn't do any coaching. Sits in on coaches meetings and offers advice. He also can act as a person to represent the program during certain events and speaking engagements. Etc.

I know people hate football comparisons around here but firing Doc cause the basketball team sucks is akin to firing Matt Davison because the football team sucks.

Don’t believe everything you read.  Of course he has a lot to do with the defense or lack thereof.  

Edited by royalfan

On 2/16/2022 at 11:11 AM, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Well, if you think Doc is coaching this defense, you actually do need something cleared up. 

It even says on the Husker basketball website that he coordinates the defense.  If you want to convince yourself that his imprints are not on the defense go ahead and be wrong, along with the fellas that liked your incorrect post.  It is fine by me.  

Edited by royalfan

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

It even says on the Husker basketball website that he coordinates the defense.  If you want to convince yourself that his imprints are not on the defense go ahead and be wrong, along with the fellas that liked your incorrect post.  It is fine by me.  

...and yet his role supposedly does not allow him to coach on the floor, correct?  If he is, perhaps we are looking at NCCA infractions???