At this point, if things keep going this way ...

Norm Peterson

What to do?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Here's what I think SHOULD happen

• I agree with @NUdiehard. Miles left a mess and Hoiberg needs at LEAST 5 seasons to make a dent. Keep him.
    • If we each kicked in 5 bucks, we'd only need 3.7 million fans to contribute to buy him out right now! Let Doc finish coaching the season. Or Gates. Or the ball boy. Let's DO this!
    • I would rather see him forced to coach another year than pay the full buyout. If he won't voluntarily take a big cut, then make him show up for another disaster season. He'll eventually beg for mercy and "retire" for "health reasons" or something.
  2. 2. Here's what I think WILL happen

• I think he turns this around. We've had some screwy issues of some players not meshing, but I see some good signs for the future.
    • They'll renegotiate his deal, make some staff changes like Frost, and bring him back, but it's probably just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    • I think there are probably enough donors with big enough bank accounts who don't want to see this institutional damage to the program continue that they'll reach a deal to buy him out the end of this season.
    • Trev probably feels the need to keep his powder dry just in case they need to make a change in football, and so, for better or worse, we're probably stuck with Fred and can't afford the buyout, like Minnesota and Richard Pitino a few years back. At least until we see what happens with football next season.

I am betting he is back with changes in staff.  Maybe I missed it but I have not heard Trev provide the "dreaded" vote of confidence yet?

An additional thought, if Trev goes to Fred and provides him with a directive to change assistants, what happens?  I mentioned this in another thread.  Does Fred say no to the directive?  Does he acquiesce?  What then?

Edited by Huskerpapa

16 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am betting he is back with changes in staff.  Maybe I missed it but I have not heard Trev provide the "dreaded" vote of confidence yet?

An additional thought, if Trev goes to Fred and provides him with a directive to change assistants, what happens?  I mentioned this in another thread.  Does Fred say no to the directive?  Does he acquiesce?  What then?

That is how I voted.

My vote: another year.

Here's why:

1.  Bryce McGowens is developing well toward the NBA draft, according to NBA experts (Hunter Sallis should be so lucky);

2.  Team progress between Rutgers 1 and Rutgers 2 is obvious;

3.  One part of that progress is the return of Trey McGowens;

4.  Rutgers 2 happened without our second leading scorer--and # 3 scorer is a long ways behind (here's hoping/expecting Verge's return will be a net positive for the team);

5.  Quality recruits are committed for next year;

6.  Hoiberg and staff are good people with a history of success at Iowa St.;

7.  The secret extension in mid-January (a month after Michigan and Auburn debacles) speaks volumes;

8.  Etc.

11 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

My vote: another year.

Here's why:

5.  Quality recruits are committed for next year;

Hmmmm. You sure about that, boss?

I mean, I am not blown away by any of the guys we have signed, TBH. Had big hopes for Blaise Keita, but is he even playing these days? Or injured?

I think a contract renegotiation/staff changes is the best Trev will be able to do. Fred's a competitive guy, hopefully Trev can get creative and get him to bet on himself. Who knows, if Fred doesn't want to bet on himself maybe Trev gets him to take a reduced buyout - because at that point, what are you even doing here. 

That being said, in my mind Fred is back next season and we are in for 14 absolutely soul sucking months of bad basketball, an empty PBA and thousands of self deprecating jokes. 

I voted for the renegotiation/staff changes option and I'm also curious about how that might work for those much more "in the know". Does the contract language for the HC include anything that would allow him to protect his assistants? I mean, ultimately Trev is the boss. If Trev says that Fred will be required to hire new staff and Fred refuses, is that not grounds for terminating the contract without having to pay the buyout?

I am certainly not a contract lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But on the surface, would insubordination not be a cause for termination?

33 minutes ago, demone said:

I am certainly not a contract lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But on the surface, would insubordination not be a cause for termination?

Not a chance.  Kevin Ollie did a whole lot more to trigger the "just cause" firing clause, and yet the arbitrator in his case found that UConn improperly fired him.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I mean, I am not blown away by any of the guys we have signed, TBH. Had big hopes for Blaise Keita, but is he even playing these days? Or injured?

Keita started playing a couple weeks ago. Had missed the start of the season, not sure if injury or something else. 

I'm honestly on board with this class thus far. Lawrence has legit length and his release looks quick. Obviously kieta will get accustomed quickly and I'm a massive Lloyd guy. I imagine Lloyd and kieta will be primary contributors right away with Lawrence potentially playing himself in if his play translates to P5 ball.

The class on paper looks good. Now it's about coaching these guys so they don't look like HS seniors still when they're freshman. That much I agree on. 

Also, the biggest hole is still PG. They need at least one transfer and ideally one freshman. Avery Brown has been quiet of late, so I'm crossing him off. That's the big issue with this class for me at the moment

As Crush78 said, Keita has been out for most of the season due to injury if I'm not mistaken. Keita appears to have the skill set that opponents will have to account for inside on offense, as well as he appears to be a good rebounder. Not sure how much of a rim protector he is, but his size alone should help in that regard.

I know this class doesn't have the star power of the current class, but I think it could be better in the long run (provided everyone still comes and stays more than a year). Lloyd plays against very good competition and more than holds his own. I think he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder as I think he isn't getting the respect he feels he deserves. I just hope he keeps his head down and continues to do his 'talking' on the court and not on twitter. I think Husker fans are viewing Lawrence as just a shooter, but I think his game is pretty well rounded. Watched a full game of his from last season and yes he can shoot from deep, but he also can take people off the dribble as well. Very good handles too. Dawson may be my favorite. He can shoot, is a great athlete and apparently gives great effort. I'm hopefully optimistic about this group. To be frank, it's the only thing that is giving me any hope about the men's program at the moment.

I'll welcome him back IF he makes adjustments to his staff. I like Loesners energy and he seems to be the most vocal assistant at the moment, so I'd hold onto him. Abdelmassih, well it's not working obviously so it's time to cut bait. Armon is kinda interesting. I wouldn't be shocked either way and I'm kinda shocked he's still here. 

Something needs to change though. Also, for 3 straight years they've taken "questionable character" guys. Cam Mack, Teddy Allen, and Alonzo verge. All of them had some sort of reason why they were available. Cam obviously just has some maturity issues as it looks like he's not even playing college ball this year (probably couldn't get a waiver to be eligible). He's wrapping up his degree at prairie view and grad transferring after. Teddy I was mostly ok with last year. But it wasn't a structural fit.   Verge was a very very late addition and I'm sure they would've looked elsewhere had they known banton was going pro. But you can't replicate what happened at ISU obviously. That philosophy needs to change 100%. 

Just now, hskr4life said:

If Fred comes back next year is it NCAA or bust?  Seriously?  

This should have been our progress year.  Our .500 record year.  Our NIT year.  At minimum.

That's an honest good question. Going from single digit wins to tourney appearance is an astronomical turn around, but I can't disagree. I'd say at minimum a bubble team that misses out? Maybe a team that just misses? 

Honest good question

I went with 5 bucks & Powder Dry. When your level of “success” for the Football program is now 6 wins, where does the Basketball team fall within that metric? Evidently somewhere between 0-20 & the NIT. Think of this as a triage unit, we’re hemorrhaging money over on 10th street, PBA will have to wait…

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been hearing about "quality recruits" for 3 years.  And "quality transfers".  Most of them have sucked.  I ain't buying that.  

1 hour ago, HB said:

I've been hearing about "quality recruits" for 3 years.  And "quality transfers".  Most of them have sucked.  I ain't buying that.  

This got me thinking, so here we are...

• C.J. Wilcher (Xavier): 2.5x more minutes at NU, improved FG% by 2.9 pts, improved 3P% by 2.3 pts, 2.5x more points per game
  • Alonzo Verge Jr. (Arizona State): Similar minutes, improved FG% by 1.6 pts, dropped 3P% by 4.6 pts, similar points per game
  • Trey McGowens (Pittsburgh): Similar minutes, improved FG% by 0.2 pts, improved 3P% by 4.3 pts, 1.6 fewer points per game
  • Kobe Webster (Western Illinois): Dropped 10 minutes per game, dropped FG% by -5.3 pts, dropped 3P% by -1.4 pts, dropped 2.5x fewer points per game
  • Lat Mayen (Chipola College): 3x more minutes, dropped FG% -4.4 pts, dropped 3P% -1.4 pts, 3.5x more points per game
  • Derrick Walker (Tennessee): 3x more minutes, improved FG% 7.7 pts, flat 3P% (low sample), +6.5 points per game
  • Chris McGraw (Ohio): flat on everything (low sample)
  • Keon Edwards (DePaul): Similar minutes, FG 3-9 (DePaul) vs. 3-17 (Neb), 3P 1-3 DePaul vs. 0-13 (Neb), 4x fewer points per game

3 hours ago, hugh42 said:

As Crush78 said, Keita has been out for most of the season due to injury if I'm not mistaken. Keita appears to have the skill set that opponents will have to account for inside on offense, as well as he appears to be a good rebounder. Not sure how much of a rim protector he is, but his size alone should help in that regard.

I know this class doesn't have the star power of the current class, but I think it could be better in the long run (provided everyone still comes and stays more than a year). Lloyd plays against very good competition and more than holds his own. I think he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder as I think he isn't getting the respect he feels he deserves. I just hope he keeps his head down and continues to do his 'talking' on the court and not on twitter. I think Husker fans are viewing Lawrence as just a shooter, but I think his game is pretty well rounded. Watched a full game of his from last season and yes he can shoot from deep, but he also can take people off the dribble as well. Very good handles too. Dawson may be my favorite. He can shoot, is a great athlete and apparently gives great effort. I'm hopefully optimistic about this group. To be frank, it's the only thing that is giving me any hope about the men's program at the moment.

I am with you. The new class plus WB, CJ, hopefully Walker / Trey is really my only hope if we keep Fred. They need a transfer guard and stretch 4 as well but at least that would give us more size and athleticism to play Def and rebound in the BIG10. Still need someone to teach and hold them accountable on defense. Still a long shot to turn it around but that is my only slim hope right now.