At this point, if things keep going this way ...

Norm Peterson

What to do?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Here's what I think SHOULD happen

• I agree with @NUdiehard. Miles left a mess and Hoiberg needs at LEAST 5 seasons to make a dent. Keep him.
    • If we each kicked in 5 bucks, we'd only need 3.7 million fans to contribute to buy him out right now! Let Doc finish coaching the season. Or Gates. Or the ball boy. Let's DO this!
    • I would rather see him forced to coach another year than pay the full buyout. If he won't voluntarily take a big cut, then make him show up for another disaster season. He'll eventually beg for mercy and "retire" for "health reasons" or something.
  2. 2. Here's what I think WILL happen

• I think he turns this around. We've had some screwy issues of some players not meshing, but I see some good signs for the future.
    • They'll renegotiate his deal, make some staff changes like Frost, and bring him back, but it's probably just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    • I think there are probably enough donors with big enough bank accounts who don't want to see this institutional damage to the program continue that they'll reach a deal to buy him out the end of this season.
    • Trev probably feels the need to keep his powder dry just in case they need to make a change in football, and so, for better or worse, we're probably stuck with Fred and can't afford the buyout, like Minnesota and Richard Pitino a few years back. At least until we see what happens with football next season.

Doc was the head coach here for 6 years. Anyone who can’t see that this year’s defense is virtually the same as Doc’s defense doesn’t know basketball. I attended multiple of Doc’s practices when he coached the defense when he was HC.  This year’s defensive scheme is the same. Husker.com says Doc is the coordinator of the defense.  It is the same defense NU ran last year and the year before when Doc was an assistant coach in charge of defense. Whether he is physically on the floor teaching it everyday is largely irrelevant. He is the one scheming it and developing it, whatever coach is out on the floor is just his mouthpiece. 

Edited by NUdiehard

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

...and yet his role supposedly does not allow him to coach on the floor, correct?  If he is, perhaps we are looking at NCCA infractions???

No, we should be safe.  He is 3/4 asleep over on the bench.  His "work" is done coordinating the debacle that is our defense.   Just another of the ways things are a disaster under Hoiberg right now.  Seriously, who has the guy coordinating the defense not able to coach it in game.  Nobody any good.  

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Doc was the head coach here for 6 years. Anyone who can’t see that this year’s defense is virtually the same as Doc’s defense doesn’t know basketball. I attended multiple of Doc’s practices when he coached the defense when he was HC.  This year’s defensive scheme is the same. Husker.com says Doc is the coordinator of the defense.  It is the same defense NU ran last year and the year before when Doc was an assistant coach in charge of defense. Whether he is physically on the floor teaching it everyday is largely irrelevant. He is the one scheming it and developing it, whatever coach is out on the floor is just his mouthpiece. 

Yeah same stuff.  It has just gotten a little worse as his interest level has waned. What do these people that "don't think he coaches the defense" think he does?  Coach offense?  Develop players? Handle the recruiting scouting?  Comical.  

15 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Also NUdiehard:

Whether the problems are systemic is up for debate.  Last year's team had a top 40  defense (adjusted for tempo).  This year's defense is terrible.  The difference was last year they had Delano Banton, a long, athletic player who could defend and rebound at a high level, and this year replaced that with Verge and Keisei.  Same coach, different players, different result. 

You realize last year Doc held an assistant coaching position where he could actually be involved in film sessions, individual player work and full practices, and this year he's been moved to a non-coaching role? I mean, he's not allowed to have coaching interaction with players per NCAA rules. Is there any possibility that could have an effect on what we're seeing on the floor?

Also, if it's the same exact defense, and everyone who knows anything about basketball should be able to see it, why was it top 40 last year and terrible this year and have that be all on Doc? I mean, didn't Matt A recruit the players that are playing the defense that is terrible this year and top 40 last year and the same exact defense, which anyone who knows anything about basketball should plainly see?

I swear, I did lose count after ten, the number of times Maryland players simply dribbled by a Nebraska defender for a lay up.  Now, that may be a scheme issue, but come on, you have to be able to defend the player in front of you.  If you can't, then most defensive schemes will fail.

By the way, at certain points we had a "small" line up on the court last night.  Still, their bigs would drive right past us....sheesh!

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I swear, I did lose count after ten, the number of times Maryland players simply dribbled by a Nebraska defender for a lay up.  Now, that may be a scheme issue, but come on, you have to be able to defend the player in front of you.  If you can't, then most defensive schemes will fail.

By the way, at certain points we had a "small" line up on the court last night.  Still, their bigs would drive right past us....sheesh!

There was even a time where the guy dribbled around the perimeter and behind the defenders to score an easy layup! I was shocked by how easy he made that look as we just stood there and watched.

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

This is the start of the defensive issues and a big why the scheme is working far worse than a year ago.  We don't have the fight in us to fight through screens.  The other teams have an amazingly easy time initiating their sets.  You can't compete in this league that way.  Yeah we get steals sometimes, but that isn't a good thing when you are swiping and playing poor fundamental defense. 

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, it was atrocious. I was PO'd at that all night...

Defense and defensive rebounding start with effort, and we don't give a bleep on that end. So, in this league, we lose over and over.

It's been that way from the first minutes of the Western Illinois game ... actually from the first minutes of the UC-Riverside game. I still had Fred fever back then, though, so I was too stupid to see it.

Edited by throwback

• 3 weeks later...