At this point, if things keep going this way ...

Norm Peterson

What to do?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Here's what I think SHOULD happen

• I agree with @NUdiehard. Miles left a mess and Hoiberg needs at LEAST 5 seasons to make a dent. Keep him.
    • If we each kicked in 5 bucks, we'd only need 3.7 million fans to contribute to buy him out right now! Let Doc finish coaching the season. Or Gates. Or the ball boy. Let's DO this!
    • I would rather see him forced to coach another year than pay the full buyout. If he won't voluntarily take a big cut, then make him show up for another disaster season. He'll eventually beg for mercy and "retire" for "health reasons" or something.
  2. 2. Here's what I think WILL happen

• I think he turns this around. We've had some screwy issues of some players not meshing, but I see some good signs for the future.
    • They'll renegotiate his deal, make some staff changes like Frost, and bring him back, but it's probably just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
    • I think there are probably enough donors with big enough bank accounts who don't want to see this institutional damage to the program continue that they'll reach a deal to buy him out the end of this season.
    • Trev probably feels the need to keep his powder dry just in case they need to make a change in football, and so, for better or worse, we're probably stuck with Fred and can't afford the buyout, like Minnesota and Richard Pitino a few years back. At least until we see what happens with football next season.

I really am dumbfounded and don’t know what to say!  I cannot believe we are as bad as demonstrated this season. I don’t know where the money is coming from.  I would like Fred to succeed.  

The current Coach at Colorado State might be someone to keep in mind.

Unless there's something behind the scenes that one of the assistant coaches (ie a health issue) there's not a single assistant coach here that we have a hope in hell of upgrading from. Forcing an assistant coaching change for the sake of making a change is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Those of you who chose this option, which assistant coach(es) are you dropping and who are you replacing him with?

This is NOT like Football. Hoiberg didn't hire his drinking buddies with AAU level resumes and talent.  On paper this is legitimately one of the best staffs in the conference if not college basketball. Every one of these guys have proven they can handle this job if allowed to do. The question is can Fred do it without Otzelberger.

Edited by Blackshirt83

I don't think it's really all that complicated. Trev Alberts, a standup guy who loves this university, wants the best for Nebraska athletics.  Fred Hoiberg, a standup guy, born in Lincoln, with a Husker pedigree, wants what's best for Nebraska basketball.  I'm pretty sure they're on the same page.  This won't be a money thing. It will all work out.

That's all I know.  Let's have a group hug while listening to Art Garfunkle.  😃

If I were Trev, I wouldn’t let any staff restructuring take place if I brought him back.  I wouldn’t spend one single cent more on the current regime unless Fred is willing to drastically restructure his deal. That’s basically all the leverage Trev has if he doesn’t want to pony up the $18 million. Last thing I’d want to do is shell out $12 million next year along with paying out old assistants and his new staff hires. The more I think about it, the more I think Fred is gonna get let go. 

Just now, Busch Light said:

If I were Trev, I wouldn’t let any staff restructuring take place if I brought him back.  I wouldn’t spend one single cent more on the current regime unless Fred is willing to drastically restructure his deal. That’s basically all the leverage Trev has if he doesn’t want to pony up the $18 million. Last thing I’d want to do is shell out $12 million next year along with paying out old assistants and his new staff hires. The more I think about it, the more I think Fred is gonna get let go. 

This is the only good point I see with keeping assistant coaches.  Unless Fred wants to, I say ride it out if you have to keep him around another year.  See what next year brings.

50 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

On paper this is legitimately one of the best staffs in the conference if not college basketball. 

Umm... what?  You can't be serious after the disaster this has been.  We haven't even won 20 games total and we're well over 2 1/2 years into this thing.  The bad thing is, the way things are looking, we're still not guaranteed to get to the 20 win mark this year.

7 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Hunter is lucky, he's playing for a winning "TEAM" that will have a run in the tourney...

Let’s see . . . how to weigh these two things?

1.  A run as bit player deep into March Madness, with potential for a better role next season; or

2.  A prime role on a struggling team with ever-improving potential for multiple millions of dollars in-pocket next season.

Hmmmm . . . that’s a tough one.

4 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

1.  A run as bit player deep into March Madness, with potential for a better role next season; or

2.  A prime role on a struggling team with ever-improving potential for multiple millions of dollars in-pocket next season.

And as long as we are comparing, get this on starting points:

“Hunter Sallis, a standout 6-foot-5 guard at Millard North High in Omaha, Nebraska, celebrated his 18th birthday Friday by announcing his commitment to Gonzaga.

Sallis becomes the highest-rated recruit in program history in 247sports’ composite rankings. He’s No. 6 in the 2021 class.”

35 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Umm... what?  You can't be serious after the disaster this has been.  We haven't even won 20 games total and we're well over 2 1/2 years into this thing.  The bad thing is, the way things are looking, we're still not guaranteed to get to the 20 win mark this year.

135.png

2020 Schedule

162 Nebraska (7-25)

2021 Schedule

109 Nebraska (7-20)

2022 Schedule

182 Nebraska (6-15)

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Lets see....Maybe Hunter is happy with his role knowing he will be in the league.  The numbers mean very little for NBA scouts and Hunter doesnt have to be the guy at Gonzaga.  To say Bryce is better cause of his role just isnt true.

7 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Lets see....Maybe Hunter is happy with his role knowing he will be in the league.  The numbers mean very little for NBA scouts and Hunter doesnt have to be the guy at Gonzaga.  To say Bryce is better cause of his role just isnt true. And lets be honest, Bryce isn't here without Trey.  No sure why you are going after Hunter and what the point is.

Fred is just a product of a generation that hasn't had to work for anything.   Just because he has some new flashy ideas that we all know suck at this point, upper management thinks he's worth the pay.  So sad what we have to deal with.

Lol eat that tomorrow when you complain about a coworker.

On 1/31/2022 at 11:32 AM, Swan88 said:

My vote: another year.

Here's why:

1.  Bryce McGowens is developing well toward the NBA draft, according to NBA experts (Hunter Sallis should be so lucky);

2.  Team progress between Rutgers 1 and Rutgers 2 is obvious;

3.  One part of that progress is the return of Trey McGowens;

4.  Rutgers 2 happened without our second leading scorer--and # 3 scorer is a long ways behind (here's hoping/expecting Verge's return will be a net positive for the team);

5.  Quality recruits are committed for next year;

6.  Hoiberg and staff are good people with a history of success at Iowa St.;

7.  The secret extension in mid-January (a month after Michigan and Auburn debacles) speaks volumes;

8.  Etc.

I'm doubling down on my vote above from a couple days ago ("vote early, vote often" is the operative motto).

Here's why:

1.  Nebrasketball has reached the status of Husker Football--we can now play close games against quality teams (e.g., at the beginning of the fourth quarter against Iowa in Memorial Stadium, with a 22-3 lead, I said, "They have us right where they want us!"--thought I was joking; said the same thing last night but wasn't joking);

2.  BTN declared last night that Bryce McGowens is now the favorite for Big Ten Freshman of the Year--that helps with recruiting, no matter what the context might be;

3.  It looks like both Derrick Walker and Trey McGowens are likely to return for next year--if that happens, we could finally have a solid group of seasoned players who have played with each other;

4.  JUCO players (e.g., Tominago) usually take a year to develop and then turn things up in their second year;

5.  Husker Football shows the value of giving a coach under pressure a chance to make progress (this is a variation on, "You can't fire your way to success"); and

6.  Zack Taylor went, during the prior two years, (i) 2 wins/14 losses, and (ii) 4 wins/11 losses--firing him at the end of those two seasons would have been, in retrospect, a mistake.

If both McGowens came back, that would be a big help. That's probably not likely, but it would be the best chance for significant improvement in our record to have a guy like Bryce in a 2nd year of college ball having a better sense of the lay of the land.

Fred needs to find a floor general who looks to pass first but can make the shot when it's there. Not sure that guy is on our current roster or list of recruits for next year.

And Blaise Keita needs to be all that and a bag of chips. And Wilhelm needs to heal and return.

And the guys who are supposed to be shooters need to figure out how to light it up.

And then we have a shot to be a .500 or so team. Maybe.

50 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

I'm doubling down on my vote above from a couple days ago ("vote early, vote often" is the operative motto).

Here's why:

1.  Nebrasketball has reached the status of Husker Football--we can now play close games against quality teams (e.g., at the beginning of the fourth quarter against Iowa in Memorial Stadium, with a 22-3 lead, I said, "They have us right where they want us!"--thought I was joking; said the same thing last night but wasn't joking);

2.  BTN declared last night that Bryce McGowens is now the favorite for Big Ten Freshman of the Year--that helps with recruiting, no matter what the context might be;

3.  It looks like both Derrick Walker and Trey McGowens are likely to return for next year--if that happens, we could finally have a solid group of seasoned players who have played with each other;

4.  JUCO players (e.g., Tominago) usually take a year to develop and then turn things up in their second year;

5.  Husker Football shows the value of giving a coach under pressure a chance to make progress (this is a variation on, "You can't fire your way to success"); and

6.  Zack Taylor went, during the prior two years, (i) 2 wins/14 losses, and (ii) 4 wins/11 losses--firing him at the end of those two seasons would have been, in retrospect, a mistake.

Great post.

Edited by Bugeaters1