PURDUE GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nice win, just played pretty well most of the game.

Our  shooting was impressive, even if we missed some easy ones.   50% from the floor, 55% from the 3. It could have better easily.  Won't lose many games shooting like that.

We answered back every time Purdue got feisty. (Purdue is well coached, have to give them that. They missed their big inside.)

Their all out press did kind of throw us for a loop...but we were so far ahead.......the focus wasn't great at first. 

Have to stick my neck out and say Weidner should be considered as a possible starter.  She's effective all over the court. 

Markowski and Weidner have improved since the beginning of the season. Didn't take either of them long to get up to college speed. Remarkable what Markowski has achieved already.

Edited by redsteve

2 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Nice win, just played pretty well most of the game.

Our  shooting was impressive, even if we missed some easy ones.   50% from the floor, 55% from the 3. It could have better easily.  Won't lose many games shooting like that.

We played pretty well really. Answered back every time Purdue got feisty. (Purdue is well coached, have to give them that. They missed their big inside.)

Their all out press did kind of throw us for a loop...but we were so far ahead.......the focus wasn't great at first. 

Have to stick my neck out and say Weidner should be considered as a possible starter.  She's effective all over the court. 

Markowski and Weidner have improved since the beginning of the season. Didn't take either of them long to get up to college speed. Remarkable what Markowski has achieved already.

Weidner starting over Jaz, Ashley or Sam. Not gonna happen.

Great to get the W today.  Solid play overall, though the execution obviously was rather weak for part of the 4th q that allowed PU to cut the lead to 10.  Fortunately we overcame that and built the lead back up.  Two freshmen helped to propel our offense.  A quality W against a team that had 4 in the conf. and 13 overall.  Keep working ladies, stay confident, and go protect home court on Tues night!  GBR!!

Edited by mwm89

28 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Weidner starting over Jaz, Ashley or Sam. Not gonna happen.

OK,  I'll bite...look at the stats from this game of those three ....and Weidner's... (she played about 1/3 less minuets than any of the three others) ..scoring, rebounds, etc. Can't ignore it

Edited by redsteve

it would be interesting to see some full court pics from the rafters during that late 3rd, and especially 4th quarter when purdue was pressing. i didn't think this team would struggle as much against the press like past teams.

i thought maybe that's where weidner could help make a difference.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

OK,  I'll bite...look at the stats from this game of those three ....and Weidner's... (she played about 1/3 less minuets than any of the three others) ..scoring, rebounds, etc. Can't ignore it

So you take the play from 10 minutes of the first half and think she's a starter over three starters from day one.  

12 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

So you take the play from 10 minutes of the first half and think she's a starter over three starters from day one.  

What ? Three starters ?  One person take over for three starters ?  Doesn't make a lot of sense. Never said anything even remotely like that.   But she's playing as well as or better than one of them, isn't she ? And has been. 

I don't really care anyway...not my call of course. Just an observation

How abut Markowski starting ? Leave her on the bench because she might replace a starter ?  

Edited by redsteve

Good win, with good shooting percentage of 50% and 55% on threes, but missed 12 lay ups also.  Too many turnovers with many on bad passes to the post.  Nontheless 22 assists was great.  Won rebound totals 41-38.  Playing Rutgers next means they are handsy trying to steal the ball so need to be ready for that and playground style of ball. Awesome games by both Weidner and Markowski.

6 hours ago, redsteve said:

I totally agree.  But since that won't happen let's just give her more minutes.  She only played 7 minutes the second half.  When the other team is pressing we need Weidner in there instead of Scoggins as she is a lot better ball handler.  Yes Scoggins can hit 3 's but you have to get the ball down the court before that can happen.  Weidner was on fire the first half and sat way too much the second.  

Weidner is going to get her chance to start, next season.  Right now, she is needed off the bench to backup Sam or Jaz as a primary ball handler.  She has been very effective in her role.  Markowski became a starter due to injury and to her credit has kept the position.  I would prefer Bourne starting g over Cravens but as long as the team comes first, it seems to be working.

That still doesn't answer my question as to why Allison wasn't in there when Purdue was pressing successfully in the fourth qtr and we couldn't get the ball down the court.  She was sitting on the bench for a long time during this.  Again she only played 7 minutes the whole 2nd half.