uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 21 - vs. Rutgers

HuskerFever

Terrible news for Verge - certainly understandable why he wouldn't have been in the right frame of mind to play.

So why does Fred say it's a "coaches decision not related to Covid"? Especially considering what has ended up happening to players the past couple of years who did not play because of a "coaches decision", as they eventually leave the team before the final few games. 

Just say he is going though a family issue and is unavailable. Make up an injury. Whatever. Anything but how he worded it.

Is no one on that coaching staff aware enough of how a segment of the fan base views Verge to realize that wording is going to create significant speculation? Yikes. 

38 minutes ago, brfrad said:

That's not good.  Given the fact he averages 3.5 TOPG.

Give me this line-up

Watson

Verge

Bryce

Wilhelm

Walker

Not turning the ball over this season is one of the best things we do. 3.5 isn't terrible for how much he handles the ball

46 minutes ago, throwback said:

Terrible news for Verge - certainly understandable why he wouldn't have been in the right frame of mind to play.

So why does Fred say it's a "coaches decision not related to Covid"? Especially considering what has ended up happening to players the past couple of years who did not play because of a "coaches decision", as they eventually leave the team before the final few games. 

Just say he is going though a family issue and is unavailable. Make up an injury. Whatever. Anything but how he worded it.

Is no one on that coaching staff aware enough of how a segment of the fan base views Verge to realize that wording is going to create significant speculation? Yikes. 

That's cause Fred was not Washut's source.   And when you read all of Fred's quote it's pretty clear Washut and his source are stretching things quite a bit, or Fred is even less in touch with what is going on then we thought.   Pretty sure its the former.

58 minutes ago, throwback said:

I don't dispute that Verge is going through something.  What you're assuming here is that Verge didn't play because he didn't feel up to it and I don't think that is what happened.  I think Fred made the statement 'Coach's decision' because that is what it was. 

Regardless I think he'll be back.

48 minutes ago, throwback said:

Does our record the last three years suggest our coaches do anything well?

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

That's not good.  Given the fact he averages 3.5 TOPG.

Give me this line-up

Watson

Verge

Bryce

Wilhelm

Walker

I agree the TOPG are too high, but the majority of his TO's are not when he's dribbling. He has very good handles, just forces things too much.

I am soooo proud that we once again found a new way to lose a game.  There literally was a conversation in the arena posing the question, how are we going to lose this one.  

I will credit the effort yesterday, especially on the defensive end and rebounding.  But goodness, we are lost souls on the offensive end.

Reading that Twitter thread shows me exactly why we have the athletic program we have right now. We deserve it. There is some genuinely sickening posts by people in that thread (and that I have seen elsewhere) that make me feel ashamed to be in the same fanbase as they are. 

There's nothing wrong with being invested in a team or a program and want to see them win. But at the end of the day these are 18-22 year old kids who have been offered and accepted an opportunity to go to school and play a game. Even though they are being paid now, regardless of that fact they don't owe us anything. Cheer for them if you want, or don't. Invest money and or time to watch or dont. But they don't owe us anything.

And that includes the coaches too. They are paid to do a job. If they do it well they will continue to get paid to do that job, if they don't they won't. They may be dependent on the fanbase to make that continue to happen but they don't owe us anything. 

- Just to be clear these comments are not about anyone or anything on this forum. It's just a general statement about what a small but vocal and growing part of this fanbase has shown themselves to exist these past few years. It's a part of the fanbase that has always existed and exists in every fanbase, but it is becoming more vocal, more visible and more widespread amongst the Nebraska Fandom of late and it needs to be snuffed out or we will continue to have and to deserve the outcomes we have been getting from our athletic programs. - notably the men's side.

Kobe’s last desperate heave brought to mind Jervay Green’s Baseline Alleyoop in Fred year 1 to close out a loss. Trey vs Illinois in a Fred year 2 loss, & NC St, Ohio St this year. We don’t play with a sense of resolve or even with something resembling a “plan” Panic sets in & we’re left hoping against hope that a miracle will take place.

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't dispute that Verge is going through something.  What you're assuming here is that Verge didn't play because he didn't feel up to it and I don't think that is what happened.  I think Fred made the statement 'Coach's decision' because that is what it was. 

Regardless I think he'll be back.

And I have no insider knowledge, so you & HB probably are correct.

I still dislike the wording, considering recent history and considering how Verge is a lightning rod for fans. Fred carries himself as a players' coach - it's just not good wording from that standpoint.

Sigh. I don't know if all of this off-court drama comes with losing at historic levels or the other way around, but I've had enough the past 2 2/3 years to last a lifetime.

Now excuse me while I go peruse the NU football roster to see which players we can borrow for our one and done appearance in the B1G Tournament because it's probably 50/50 we're going to need someone.

44 minutes ago, throwback said:

And I have no insider knowledge, so you & HB probably are correct.

I still dislike the wording, considering recent history and considering how Verge is a lightning rod for fans. Fred carries himself as a players' coach - it's just not good wording from that standpoint.

Sigh. I don't know if all of this off-court drama comes with losing at historic levels or the other way around, but I've had enough the past 2 2/3 years to last a lifetime.

Now excuse me while I go peruse the NU football roster to see which players we can borrow for our one and done appearance in the B1G Tournament because it's probably 50/50 we're going to need someone.

Austin Allen played basketball in high school at Aurora

10 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Reading that Twitter thread shows me exactly why we have the athletic program we have right now. We deserve it. There is some genuinely sickening posts by people in that thread (and that I have seen elsewhere) that make me feel ashamed to be in the same fanbase as they are. 

There's nothing wrong with being invested in a team or a program and want to see them win. But at the end of the day these are 18-22 year old kids who have been offered and accepted an opportunity to go to school and play a game. Even though they are being paid now, regardless of that fact they don't owe us anything. Cheer for them if you want, or don't. Invest money and or time to watch or dont. But they don't owe us anything.

And that includes the coaches too. They are paid to do a job. If they do it well they will continue to get paid to do that job, if they don't they won't. They may be dependent on the fanbase to make that continue to happen but they don't owe us anything. 

- Just to be clear these comments are not about anyone or anything on this forum. It's just a general statement about what a small but vocal and growing part of this fanbase has shown themselves to exist these past few years. It's a part of the fanbase that has always existed and exists in every fanbase, but it is becoming more vocal, more visible and more widespread amongst the Nebraska Fandom of late and it needs to be snuffed out or we will continue to have and to deserve the outcomes we have been getting from our athletic programs. - notably the men's side.

this is hardly a local problem. is a much bigger reflection of a dog eat dog, victor take the spoils culture in general. I miss amateurism, too. But it's dead. Money vvins again.