uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 21 - vs. Rutgers

HuskerFever

As much as I hate Colorado, I wish that game had not been so lopsided.  Something happened to this team after that game.  It's like they put everything they had into that game and right after they tossed it all away. It gave Husker Nation a totally wrong impression.  Left that game thinking we would have a breakout year.  Instead we had a breakdown year.  At this point a win would be nice, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  Most of these guys won't be around next season so it's hard to build support for them.  Fred's kid might be the only player still there, and that totally depends on if his dad is still coaching. 

5 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

As much as I hate Colorado, I wish that game had not been so lopsided.  Something happened to this team after that game.  It's like they put everything they had into that game and right after they tossed it all away. It gave Husker Nation a totally wrong impression.  Left that game thinking we would have a breakout year.  Instead we had a breakdown year.  At this point a win would be nice, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  Most of these guys won't be around next season so it's hard to build support for them.  Fred's kid might be the only player still there, and that totally depends on if his dad is still coaching. 

I think Colorado knew the game didn't count and used that team to get better, and they did. 

Here's what one wise man (not me) pointed out afterward:

This Colorado team is going to be a lot better at the end of the year as while they're talented they're in the process of replacing McKinley Wright who started at PG all 4 years he was at Colorado.

Another (also not me) pointed out:

Half-court execution has been bad. Defensive rotations have been poor. Rebounding has been atrocious. 

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems to me that two things can be true:  Verge is reportedly going through some personal stuff and going through some personal stuff can cause one to blow up at a practice. If you're running a program that is under the accountability microscope like ours, Verge has to take accountability regardless of the circumstances as 'overcoming adversity' is seemingly 50% of our mantra.  (making simple plays being the other)

We didn't have any reliable offense other than Bryce last night. We could have used about 10 minutes of Verge but you can't get 10 minutes; you either get 20+ or 0. I think Verge genuinely cares about this team and about winning and the big problem is that how he goes about naturally is often aesthetically the opposite of what we prefer to run. He's a SG who can masquerade as a PG who we can't play SG because every other ball handler on the roster is also a SG masquerading as a PG. Verge becomes the PG because he's easily the best assist generating pseudo PG we have and also isn't a good 3pt shooter.  (Lat Mayen led the team in assists last night)

I can sit here and be very frustrated with Verge's lack of consistency and lazy defense but I can't sit here and in good consequence blame him. especially given our record of roster construction, for being a bad fit.

Agreed. Not only is he the best on the team at generating assists, he's far and away our best ball handler.