uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 20 - vs. Wisconsin

HuskerFever

14 hours ago, tcp said:

i just don't see how this can continue, buyout or no buyout. 

i'd pay hoiberg his salary to just stay home and let a phys ed instructor coach the team until the salary hit took care of itself. 

there's a masochist that can coach somevvhere out there for us. 

I'm 100% in. I will make @Norm Peterson do all my post game interviews. 

34 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I wonder what this team would look like with a competent coaching staff.

People can blame Matt A. but in the end getting this team ready to play on the court lies squarely at the feet of Fred.

They would be below average to average, instead of terrible.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I wonder what this team would look like with a competent coaching staff.

People can blame Matt A. but in the end getting this team ready to play on the court lies squarely at the feet of Fred.

If one of the problem with your 18.5 million dollar coach is that he can't win without certain types of players you have some options

• Fire the 18.5 million dollar coach
  • Get rid of the guy who has complete control over who the coach gets to approve
  • Do nothing and hope this is the year it all comes together

It's real easy to blame Matt A.

We are getting pushed around just like in the 1st game, not making the effort to rebound, and as Kobe said last week, there is a lack of accountability from coaches. How these things are not corrected by now must be accountability. Well, that and the lack of confidence with open 3s. Lat, KT, and CJ all passed up open 3s last night that ended with contested and missed 2s. They have to shoot when they're open. That's why they are there. 

But...if DW stays next year and Lat is shown the door, I actually really like the roster, with or without the McGowens Bros, because of our post depth: DW, Wilhelm, Blaise, and Andre. I don't think we will get pushed around inside if we have those 4. But we need huge steps from the shooters...CJ, KT, and Bryce if he stays. If NU has a decent year next year and Bryce learns how to defend, become a better passer and rebounder (I know those are a lot of "ifs"), he will go from the end of the 1st round to a top 10 pick. He could make the transition like Davis has for Wisconsin and be even better than him (because I think Bryce is a better shooter). And I have no problem with someone like Quaran, a physical, tough defender and leader at the point. He would actually be a welcome change after Cam, Teddy, and Verge. 

Notes from UNL

• Bryce McGowens scored a game-high 23 points, including 17 in the second half. McGowens posted his team-leading sixth 20-point game of the season, tying Jerry Fort (1972-73) for the second-most 20-point games by a freshman in school history. It marked the 12th 20-point game by a Husker in 2021-22.
  • Lat Mayen had a season-high 11 points, marking his first game in double figures this season and his 12th double-figure scoring game in his Husker career.
  • Alonzo Verge Jr. had 11 points, his team-leading 16th game in double figures this season.
  • Derrick Walker tied his season high with four assists, as he also had four against NC State and Auburn
  • Trey McGowens made his first start since Nov. 16 against Creighton
  • Nebraska was 14-of-17 from the free throw line, as the Huskers’ 82.4 percentage from the charity stripe marked its second-highest percentage of the season. NU has shot better than 80 percent from the free throw line in back-to-back games, as the Huskers are 31-of-38 (81.6 percent) in their past two games with two of their top three percentages of the season.
  • The Huskers had an 11-0 run in the second half to cut the Badger lead from 18 down to seven. The McGowens brothers had all 11 points in the run, with Bryce scoring eight points and Trey adding three points.
  • During the run, the Huskers held Wisconsin without a field goal for a 6:22 stretch.
  • Nebraska held Wisconsin to 36.8 percent shooting in the game, the Badgers’ fourth-lowest mark of the season and worst mark since Dec. 11. The Badgers had shot at least 41 percent from the field in eight consecutive games entering tonight.

8 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

That is crazy to start 19 games, average 23 minutes per game, and not hit double figures scoring until game 19. 

Benny Parker used to get blasted for lack of scoring.  I'm curious (but not curious enough to look it up myself) how many games it took him to hit double figures in each of his seasons as a starter.

19 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Benny Parker used to get blasted for lack of scoring.  I'm curious (but not curious enough to look it up myself) how many games it took him to hit double figures in each of his seasons as a starter.

His first career double digit scoring game was his Junior year at Hawaii.

His lack of scoring stemmed mainly from a lack of shooting.

I’m still waiting for that game where Bryce takes over the contest & WILLS us to victory. We get a handful of home games coming up where that “could” happen, but if it doesn’t, I’m out a box of steaks & that 0-20 is staring us down like a rifle barrel…

Edited by Handy Johnson

3 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

That is crazy to start 19 games, average 23 minutes per game, and not hit double figures scoring until game 19. 

As of today, out of the 78 players in the Big 10 averaging 20 minutes or more per game, Lat is 77th in field goal percentage and 76th in effective field goal percentage.

His 3pt%, 2pt%, FT%, scoring and rebounding are all noticeably down from last year.  I'm open to the possibility that the back issues he's dealing with are at least partly to blame.

Season G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2020-21 27 25.6 3 7.7 0.4 1.3 2.6 0.49 1.8 5.1 0.35 0.8 1 0.78 0.8 3.7 4.6 0.6 0.5 0.6 1.5 2.6 8.6
2021-22 19 23 1.8 5.4 0.34 0.9 2 0.45 0.9 3.4 0.28 0.8 1.2 0.65 0.7 3.3 3.9 0.7 0.5 0.3 1.2 2.4 5.4