Shut Up Sipple! - Why Fred Should have at least 5 years

NUdiehard

7 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

For me, this is the wrong standard to assess.  The question is not can a different coach win 4 games in the BIG rather than 2 (or 0 or whatever).  The question is can the coach take this program to a point that it is a semi-regular contender for the NCAA tourney and occasionally wins a game or two in the tourney.  That is the standard that any coach should be measured by.   I will happily trade these 3 crappy, crappy seasons if in years 5 and 6 Fred has a NCAA tourney level team and therefore a foundation to keep that rolling into the future.  Heck, I will even sacrifice next year again if we can reach that point in year 5.  Maybe its because I have been doing this for 45 years now that whether its 2 conference wins or 7 conference wins if its not ever resulting in the NCAA or at least high level NIT then what's really the difference?   Sure, watching a 7 win team is better than a 4 win team, but either way NU is playing day 1 in the B1G tourney and not even sniffing NCAA tourney.  

The past 3 years are now a sunk cost.  Keeping or firing Fred will not change that.  The question is what/who gives NU the best chance of being a tourney level team by year 2024.  I will roll the dice on Fred because he has proven he can do it while coaching in a power 5 conference.  He may need to make some adjustments to his staff, recruiting philosophy, scheme, etc., to adjust to Nebraska and the B1G.  Fine.  Give him time and see what he does.  If NU is still at the bottom of the B1G after year 5 then he is a goner and we can play this charade all over again with some no-name mid-major coach.

The logic of many is confusing IMO.  Here are the facts:

1.  Fred Hoiberg -  coached a power 5 school for 5 years (prior to NU) and went to the NCAA tourney 4 of those 5 years and the sweet 16 in one of those years.

2. Nebraska basketball program - Has only been to 1 NCAA tourney in the last 20 years (despite 4 different coaches) and has NEVER won a single game in the NCAA tourney.

3. CONCLUSION of the masses - the problem clearly lies with Fred and not the Nebraska program. 

Uh, OK.  That is some sound logic there

Not sure the logic is any worse saying the guy whose record is the worst in modern history over 3 years, and is 5-42 in league after 3 years is somehow the guy to figure it out and get us to the promised land.  I mean, those are "facts" also.   Who knows, you could be right, but currently it isn't just some bumps in the road as he tries to build a program, its an utter failure.   I've been doing this 55 years rather than 45, and during that time we've never been this uncompetitive.  And note that Fred's predecessor was "sniffing the NCAA tourney"  most years.     While we weren't winning NCAA tournament games, we sure as hell weren't finishing last 3 straight years with a "look" to the team one that even the most loyal fans can't stand to watch it. 

8 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Shakespeare nailed it. Brevity is the soul of wit.  🙂

I've already posted this in the Rock Bottom thread, but I will say Shakespeare did give me some perspective on this after seeing it.

For, if we continue to survive as a program, we have the luxury to say over and over again, "This is rock bottom."

quote-and-worse-i-may-be-yet-the-worst-i

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I've already posted this in the Rock Bottom thread, but I will say Shakespeare did give me some perspective on this after seeing it.

For, if we continue to survive as a program, we have the luxury to say over and over again, "This is rock bottom."

quote-and-worse-i-may-be-yet-the-worst-i

Can’t help but wonder if Will was a fan of the Nebraska mens jousting team.

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

1.  Fred Hoiberg -  coached a power 5 school for 5 years (prior to NU) and went to the NCAA tourney 4 of those 5 years and the sweet 16 in one of those years.

2. Nebraska basketball program - Has only been to 1 NCAA tourney in the last 20 years (despite 4 different coaches) and has NEVER won a single game in the NCAA tourney.

3. CONCLUSION of the masses - the problem clearly lies with Fred and not the Nebraska program. 

Uh, OK. 

These facts in a vacuum make sense, but really it oversimplifies the reality of the situation.  These facts work under the assumption that Fred 2021 = Fred 2014.  Everyone knows Fred took over Greg McDermott’s mess at ISU.  I think everyone would agree that Greg McDermott is a much better coach today at Creighton than during his stint with the Cyclones.  I personally believe Fred is a much worse coach today than when he was with the Cyclones.  

Someone mentioned in another thread about TJ Otzelberger being with Fred in Ames, and honestly that makes a ton of sense to me.  That guy is a hell of a coach.  How many times have we seen coaches not having their top assistants and they proceed to fall on their face at their next stop?  Here are a couple examples:

- We get Barry Collier who looked like a hot commodity.  His top assistant?  Thad Matta.

- (apology in advance Ron) Colorado football hired Boise State coach Dan Hawkins.  I crapped my pants and thought we were in trouble.  We all know how that turned out.  His top assistant at Boise?  Chris Peterson.

Sometimes the assistants make the head guy look a hell of a lot better than they really are.  Heck, didn’t Miles look better when Craig Smith was here? 

12 hours ago, busticket said:

These facts in a vacuum make sense, but really it oversimplifies the reality of the situation.  These facts work under the assumption that Fred 2021 = Fred 2014.  Everyone knows Fred took over Greg McDermott’s mess at ISU.  I think everyone would agree that Greg McDermott is a much better coach today at Creighton than during his stint with the Cyclones.  I personally believe Fred is a much worse coach today than when he was with the Cyclones.  

Someone mentioned in another thread about TJ Otzelberger being with Fred in Ames, and honestly that makes a ton of sense to me.  That guy is a hell of a coach.  How many times have we seen coaches not having their top assistants and they proceed to fall on their face at their next stop?  Here are a couple examples:

- We get Barry Collier who looked like a hot commodity.  His top assistant?  Thad Matta.

- (apology in advance Ron) Colorado football hired Boise State coach Dan Hawkins.  I crapped my pants and thought we were in trouble.  We all know how that turned out.  His top assistant at Boise?  Chris Peterson.

Sometimes the assistants make the head guy look a hell of a lot better than they really are.  Heck, didn’t Miles look better when Craig Smith was here? 

The GATA thing we had wasn't Miles, that was Craig Smith's deal.

We need a guy that will implement a culture so if Hoiberg is here next year he absolutely needs 1-2 new assistants if we want the hope things can be better.  No idea how instrumental Cornell Mann was to Fred's success but he might be available if Cuonzo gets fired from Missouri.  Maybe it's better if Fred gets some guys who aren't Fred guys.

13 hours ago, busticket said:

I do believe assistant coaches matter.  And I agree Miles was much better with Craig Smith here.  But a few things don't hold up in that argument with Fred.  Based on my quick review, Otzelberger coached at ISU with McDermott for 4 years and they were not very successful (if Otzelberger is so great, why did McDermott struggle?).  He then was with Fred for 3 of Fred's 5 years at ISU.  But then Otzelberger left after the 2012/13 season, and it was the following 2 seasons that were Fred's best seasons.  In 2013/14 ISU was 28-8 and went to the sweet 16.  In 2014/15 ISU was 25-9 and tied for 2nd in the Big 12 conference (his highest conference ranking in all 5 years).

And even if Otzelberger was a factor in his first 3 years, that just shows Fred can get it done with the right pieces in place.  I still would like to see him get a new assistant or two after this season.  Frost got the chance to revamp his staff.  Fred should get the same. 

The suggestion that Fred completely forgot how to coach in college basketball between 2015 and now is ludicrous to me.  He proved he could win year after year after year at ISU.  It isn't like it is now 30 years later and he is a 70 year old man who lost his way.  He came here in 2019 just 4 years removed from last being at ISU and going 25-9 and finishing 2nd in the Big 12.  He has proven he can win in a power 5 conference.  No other coach in Nebraska basketball history can say that.

Edited by NUdiehard

35 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I do believe assistant coaches matter.  And I agree Miles was much better with Craig Smith here.  But a few things don't hold up in that argument with Fred.  Based on my quick review, Otzelberger coached at ISU with McDermott for 4 years and they were not very successful (if Otzelberger is so great, why did McDermott struggle?).  He then was with Fred for 3 of Fred's 5 years at ISU.  But then Otzelberger left after the 2012/13 season, and it was the following 2 seasons that were Fred's best seasons.  In 2013/14 ISU was 28-8 and went to the sweet 16.  In 2014/15 ISU was 25-9 and tied for 2nd in the Big 12 conference (his highest conference ranking in all 5 years).

And even if Otzelberger was a factor in his first 3 years, that just shows Fred can get it done with the right pieces in place.  I still would like to see him get a new assistant or two after this season.  Frost got the chance to revamp his staff.  Fred should get the same. 

The suggestion that Fred completely forgot how to coach in college basketball between 2015 and now is ludicrous to me.  He proved he could win year after year after year at ISU.  It isn't like it is now 30 years later and he is a 70 year old man who lost his way.  He came here in 2019 just 4 years removed from last being at ISU and going 25-9 and finishing 2nd in the Big 12.  He has proven he can win in a power 5 conference.  No other coach in Nebraska basketball history can say that.

I personally don’t think Fred has forgotten how to coach X’s and O’s…I think he is struggling with developing culture and leading his players.  And that is a huge part of being a head coach.

The McDermott struggled at ISU is a funny (not haha) story from everything I heard about it.  He had a star player (Wesley Johnson, who became a first team all American at Syracuse) who was complaining about his foot.  The team trainer told McDermott he was fine so McDermott made him play through the pain.  Turns out he had a stress fracture.  After that experience Johnson left the program.  McDermott then got super recruit Craig Brackins.  After the Wesley Johnson situation, from what I have heard, the pendulum swung completely the other way and he bent over backwards to appease Brackins.  Playing favorites has a way of fracturing a locker room, and when a coach loses a locker room he is usually done for.

All I am saying is things aren’t as simple as they seem, whether it is losing your assistant who is the discipline guy, locker room relationships going in the tank, or a myriad of other things.  I do think it is extremely hard to change culture without changing the voice at the top.

49 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I think Fred can coach. I looked at a couple ISU boards, the consensus with Fred's teams was they had a lot of guys that worked well together and were self starters/hard workers - a perfect combo with Fred's style of coaching. When Fred went to the NBA he had Wade (a vet who was over playing defense and boxing out) Butler (talented, hard headed) and LaVine (talented, young, immature) - the thing fell apart. Seems like Fred needs the right guys or else it will be a disaster. But did he luck into the right guys at ISU or can it be replicated? With Matt A buying the groceries instead of Fred, makes things hard to predict. 

10 minutes ago, busticket said:

I do think it is extremely hard to change culture without changing the voice at the top.

I completely agree with this sentiment.  However, the one thing we do have going for us, which is sad itself, is that there is a good likelihood that most of our roster changes over again.  This at least gives Fred a chance to reset, both himself and with new coaches, for likely one final time under the watchful eye of Trev.

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I think Fred can coach. I looked at a couple ISU boards, the consensus with Fred's teams was they had a lot of guys that worked well together and were self starters/hard workers - a perfect combo with Fred's style of coaching. When Fred went to the NBA he had Wade (a vet who was over playing defense and boxing out) Butler (talented, hard headed) and LaVine (talented, young, immature) - the thing fell apart. Seems like Fred needs the right guys or else it will be a disaster. But did he luck into the right guys at ISU or can it be replicated? With Matt A buying the groceries instead of Fred, makes things hard to predict. 

I just assumed with Hoiberg that since he has worked with transfers before that he would be the kind of coach that could blend all kinds of personalities together into a cohesive unit.  I guess the Teddy Allen situation from last year should have been a bigger red flag to us.  I'm still clinging to the fact that Fred is a very knowledgeable, well liked coach that will make adjustments and bring us a winner. Maybe he will find the right guys if the roster turns over.

18 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

For me, this is the wrong standard to assess.  The question is not can a different coach win 4 games in the BIG rather than 2 (or 0 or whatever).  The question is can the coach take this program to a point that it is a semi-regular contender for the NCAA tourney and occasionally wins a game or two in the tourney.  That is the standard that any coach should be measured by.   I will happily trade these 3 crappy, crappy seasons if in years 5 and 6 Fred has a NCAA tourney level team and therefore a foundation to keep that rolling into the future.  Heck, I will even sacrifice next year again if we can reach that point in year 5.  Maybe its because I have been doing this for 45 years now that whether its 2 conference wins or 7 conference wins if its not ever resulting in the NCAA or at least high level NIT then what's really the difference?   Sure, watching a 7 win team is better than a 4 win team, but either way NU is playing day 1 in the B1G tourney and not even sniffing NCAA tourney.  

The past 3 years are now a sunk cost.  Keeping or firing Fred will not change that.  The question is what/who gives NU the best chance of being a tourney level team by year 2024.  I will roll the dice on Fred because he has proven he can do it while coaching in a power 5 conference.  He may need to make some adjustments to his staff, recruiting philosophy, scheme, etc., to adjust to Nebraska and the B1G.  Fine.  Give him time and see what he does.  If NU is still at the bottom of the B1G after year 5 then he is a goner and we can play this charade all over again with some no-name mid-major coach.

Uh, OK. 

So we should keep Hoiberg because he had success at a different school from 2010-15 (6-10 years ago)?

Hoiberg is 20-58 (.256) in year 3 at Nebraska.

Miles was 47-49 (.490) after 3 years at Nebraska with an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Doc was 55-40 (.579) after 3 years at Nebraska with two NIT appearances.

Barry Collier was 38-50 (.432) after 3 years at Nebraska.

Danny Nee was 51-46 (.526) after 3 years at Nebraska with an NIT third place. 

If we went 12-0 to finish the regular season, Hoiberg would still have a much worse winning percentage (.356) than Barry Collier after 3 years.

Is Nebrasketball a historically bad program? Sure. But is it historically a 25% winning percentage program that is always dead last in the conference? No way. Hoiberg has taken us to extreme new lows. You act like he's just doing what all the other coaches before him did. No. At least they had some mediocre success at some points. 

At what point does current job performance outweigh something you did 6-10 years ago at your job? Can you be completely failing at your job for three years and embarrassing your company left and right but just go up to your boss and say "but hey, remember when I was so good 6 years ago? Remember that. I can do it again. I promise. Even though I haven't come remotely close to anything resembling that success in 2.5 years here, I can still do it." 

I was excited when we landed Fred based on his previous success at ISU. But here we are on the back half of the 3rd season and what I see with my eyes is a terrible basketball team with a terrible record and a 9 man rotation that will probably have 6 of them leaving after this year. 

I hate this line of thinking so so much. And yet Husker fans just love to say it over and over and over no matter the sport. 

The most successful coach we've had this century was a little known guy from Colorado State. The most well known coach we've had this century is quite possibly the worst head coach in Nebraska basketball history. 

So who are you going to get? Anybody who wants a large paycheck? How will they fare? Who the hell knows, but one thing I do know, I think you could close your eyes and throw a dart at any NCAA Division I mid-major school and take their head coach and that person would certainly at least have us at 0-8 in the Big Ten this season and more than likely would be better than 5-42 in 3 seasons. 

Shoot, Trev could just go ask Derrin Hansen up at UNO to come coach here and we would be better than we are right now. I am not kidding. 

The "who else are you going to get" argument is so pointless when your current head coach is coaching the worst team in a Power 5 conference. 

Derrin Hansen is a prime example of Trev keeping a bad coach around much longer than he should’ve to save money. UNO is horrible and DH ain’t a D1 coach.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Derrin Hansen is a prime example of Trev keeping a bad coach around much longer than he should’ve to save money. UNO is horrible and DH ain’t a D1 coach.

??? UNO had three top 3 finishes in the last 6 years and he was conference coach of the year in 2019? This is UNO who recently moved up to D1, those results ain't bad at all. 

This team’s two biggest issues are both the construction of the roster and the construction of the staff. Assistant coaches definitely matter. Look no further than Indiana. They got absolutely clowned when they hired Mike Woodson, but he was able to retain Kenya Hunter, hire Dane Fife away from Tom Izzo’s staff at Michigan State, and Thad Matta in an associate AD for basketball role, 3 guys he likely he very little previous connection to at all but they know the Big Ten. Thought about their staff last night watching Indiana beat Purdue for the first time in 6 years.

Fred unfortunately took the Frost route and hired his buddies, aside from retaining Armon Gates. Matt Abdelmassih is getting paid upwards of $400k a year to recruit and only recruit, and has failed miserably with the construction of this roster. If Fred is back next year and Abdelmassih is still on staff, this is done and over. Plain and simple.

??? UNO had three top 3 finishes in the last 6 years and he was conference coach of the year in 2019? This is UNO who recently moved up to D1, those results ain't bad at all. 

UNO has been Division I for 10 years now. They are currently 3-16 this year after going 5-20 last year, and the other year where they didn’t finish top 3 in the summit league they went 9-22. Conference coach of the year awards don’t mean anything, just ask Tim Miles.

Their financial situation is also less than ideal. Trev may have built facilities up there, but UNO Basketball is the only school in the Summit League that cannot cover cost of attendance in their scholarships for basketball. Hence why guys from Nebraska who don’t belong on a D1 roster play significant minutes. That program is a mess, and they need a new coach BADLY.

3 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

UNO has been Division I for 10 years now. They are currently 3-16 this year after going 5-20 last year, and the other year where they didn’t finish top 3 in the summit league they went 9-22. Conference coach of the year awards don’t mean anything, just ask Tim Miles.

Their financial situation is also less than ideal. Trev may have built facilities up there, but UNO Basketball is the only school in the Summit League that cannot cover cost of attendance in their scholarships for basketball. Hence why guys from Nebraska who don’t belong on a D1 roster play significant minutes. That program is a mess, and they need a new coach BADLY.

Tim Miles was 5 years removed from conf of the year, not 2. I just don't see UNO being the type of place to fire a coach coming off one bad season when the previous 4/5 they were right at the top.  Maybe after this season but Trev isn't there anymore. 

I don’t think we really have a choice but to run it back. Tell Fred to figure it out and he’s stuck with what he’s got for a year. I wouldn’t spend money on a staff overhaul. Hopefully they can construct a competitive roster although I don’t have a lot of faith at this point.

They need to find some toughness and some competitors. Our basketball and football programs have way too many kids who don’t mind losing. Sure, they’d rather win, but they are way too okay with losing. It takes highly competitive people to win. You need players who get sick to their stomach after a loss. You need players who hate losing more than they like winning. 

I will say that anyone who thinks keeping Fred and getting rid of Abdelsmath is the correct move - you are dead wrong. Abdelsmath is a great recruiter. He proved it not only at iowa state with Hoiberg but at st John's. He was the only recruiter at St. Johns.. He built their entire roster between and it's no accident that Mullin who had taken the Red Storm to their first tournament in 5 years went from being safe to bring fired within days after Abdelsmath took the Nebraska job..

Abdelsmath is one of the best recruiters in the country. He brings in the guys Hoiberg wants just like he did at isu and st john's. If anything you do whatever you have to to get Abdelsmath to stay and recruit for whoever replaces Hoiberg. 

Abdelsmath is the only one who actually does his job.  Hoiberg runs his program like a CEO. With each assistant having a specific job.

Abdelsmath is there to recruit 

Gates is there to run the backcourt 

Loesner is there to run the frontcourt

Doc is there to run the defense 

There have been criticizm of Doc but the big question Noone has asked (that I have seen) is what are Gates and Loesner doing?

Those are the guys that are supposed to be doing the accountability and effort stuff. On paper this should be one of the best assistant coaching staffs in the country. Why are they all performing significantly under what they are capable of doing? 

This isn't all on Hoiberg. He's the head coach and makes the big salary so in the end it does but the things we are most critical of? Those are things Gates and Loesner and Sadler should be doing.

6 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I will say that anyone who thinks keeping Fred and getting rid of Abdelsmath is the correct move - you are dead wrong. Abdelsmath is a great recruiter. He proved it not only at iowa state with Hoiberg but at st John's. He was the only recruiter at St. Johns.. He built their entire roster between and it's no accident that Mullin who had taken the Red Storm to their first tournament in 5 years went from being safe to bring fired within days after Abdelsmath took the Nebraska job..

Abdelsmath is one of the best recruiters in the country. He brings in the guys Hoiberg wants just like he did at isu and st john's. If anything you do whatever you have to to get Abdelsmath to stay and recruit for whoever replaces Hoiberg. 

Abdelsmath is the only one who actually does his job.  Hoiberg runs his program like a CEO. With each assistant having a specific job.

There have been criticizm of Doc but the big question Noone has asked (that I have seen) is what are Gates and Loesner doing?

Those are the guys that are supposed to be doing the accountability and effort stuff. On paper this should be one of the best assistant coaching staffs in the country. Why are they all performing significantly under what they are capable of doing? 

This isn't all on Hoiberg. He's the head coach and makes the big salary so in the end it does but the things we are most critical of? Those are things Gates and Loesner and Sadler should be doing.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board, Matt A!!

6 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

It really isn’t that hard to look up how names are spelled. 

Edit: and all of that is insanely wrong. 

Edited by CrazyforNUHOOPS

9 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I will go on record to say that despite the utter chaos and the abomination of this team, Fred should get another year.  FRED should then decide on whether or not an assistant makeover is necessary.  Frost thought it was necessary and the jury is out.  Bo thought the world was against him, did not make the changes and he was gonzo.  Frank made the changes and was gonzo. Sooo, we shall see.  Another year like this one would be unthinkable. 

But as an aside, the head coach is ultimately responsible for everything.   He may assign responsibilities and expectations, but if there is a failure in any aspect of the process, it is on that head coach.

Edited by Huskerpapa