Shut Up Sipple! - Why Fred Should have at least 5 years

NUdiehard

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will go on record to say that despite the utter chaos and the abomination of this team, Fred should get another year.  FRED should then decide on whether or not an assistant makeover is necessary.  Frost thought it was necessary and the jury is out.  Bo thought the world was against him, did not make the changes and he was gonzo.  Frank made the changes and was gonzo. Sooo, we shall see.  Another year like this one would be unthinkable. 

But as an aside, the head coach is ultimately responsible for everything.   He may assign responsibilities and expectations, but if there is a failure in any aspect of the process, it is on that head coach.

Perhaps. I do think it is more than reasonable for Trev to say "Fred, what you've been doing is not working. What changes are you going to make to fix it?" Or something to that effect. I do think Trev asked Frost similar questions. Maybe Frost came to that conclusion entirely on his own. Maybe not. Probably somewhere in the middle.

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

"Knowing," Trev Alberts (i.e., I don't know him personally but I've had a couple rough interactions with him), those conversations have been had and they were probably pretty cut-throat and brutal. He doesn't mince words and he doesn't beat around the bush or avoid conflict. It's honestly why he's the best person for the AD job and I'm embarrassed I didn't make that connection the second he was hired. 

I heard (and this is just a rumor as I have no connections to NU at all) that Alberts told Frost he could take the new contract with the changes or he could leave, with illegal practices providing Alberts with the leverage to do so.  Makes you wonder if the talk of recruiting violations earlier in the year could give Alberts that same leverage with Hoiberg.

Who knows whether Hoiberg can pull this out.  

But consider:

1. When Tim Miles came to Nebraska, he had the following returning players from Doc's teams: David Rivers, Brandon Ubel, Ray Gallegos, Dylan Talley, Andre Almeida (and Shavon Shields--committed to Doc).

2. In the two years before firing Tim Miles, Moos undermined him at every turn, torpedoing Miles's recruiting efforts.

3. So, when Hoiberg arrives, he has the following returning players from Miles's teams: Thor Thorbjarnarson and Dachon Burke.

I've always begrudged what Moos did to undermine Miles for a couple years.  If he wanted Miles gone, he should have fired him upon making that decision.

Here's guessing that Trev Alberts has no intention, with Frost or Hoiberg, of "Moosing" either of them.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I find it hard to understand how Moos undermined Miles at every turn when he is consistently portrayed as a do-nothing AD. Didn't he just not give Miles an extension? 

That non extension handicapped him on the recruiting trail.  Sure, Miles didn't completely help himself, but he didn't get any help from the AD's office either.  I mean the fact that we all saw it and talk about it... I guarantee you it was being brought up on the recruiting trail.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I find it hard to understand how Moos undermined Miles at every turn when he is consistently portrayed as a do-nothing AD. Didn't he just not give Miles an extension? 

Also didn’t allow Miles to use the help of an outside-of-the-program consultant that was allegedly helping the team. 

I also don’t think he attended any games. < Insert they don’t serve beer at the games joke here >. 

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

You’re gonna have to go into detail on what he did to undermine Miles. 

Hard to actually know exact details.  But we did have an active member on our fine site that was a spouse of a Miles staff member.  She PM some of us and said a lot without having to say much (she also had a host of very good takes). Hard to recruit and hard to coach when you are dead man walking.

19 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hard to actually know exact details.  But we did have an active member on our fine site that was a spouse of a Miles staff member.  She PM some of us and said a lot without having to say much (she also had a host of very good takes). Hard to recruit and hard to coach when you are dead man walking.

I can confirm receipt of a PM as well.  This is accurate info for those who may doubt it.

8 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Here's guessing that Trev Alberts has no intention, with Frost or Hoiberg, of "Moosing" either of them.

By all accounts Trev is fiscally responsible, which is the polar opposite of Bill Moos. I suspect he's going to try to figure out how to keep Fred going like he's Bill Murray trying to keep that homeless guy alive in Groundhog Day.

11 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Also didn’t allow Miles to use the help of an outside-of-the-program consultant that was allegedly helping the team. 

I also don’t think he attended any games. < Insert they don’t serve beer at the games joke here >. 

OK, that's enough turns. I was just questioning the phrasing "at every turn," which made it sound like Moos was really an active AD. So he was undermining Miles by not doing anything to help at every turn. Got it.

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

What were the details? I don't understand the vagueness here... It's all done and over and you guys have effectively shared your source so who cares? 

I have info and direct knowledge of how the Miles tenure went down, and the role he played in the demise, but I'm not giving up my sources on that. 

You’ve been very vague when mentioning that you have direct knowledge of his “demise” as well. 

12 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

What were the details? I don't understand the vagueness here... It's all done and over and you guys have effectively shared your source so who cares? 

I have info and direct knowledge of how the Miles tenure went down, and the role he played in the demise, but I'm not giving up my sources on that. 

I believe that she was married to one of the coaches on the Miles staff.  Never knew who she was but did add quite a bit from th3 inside.  She would pm mostly if you said something positive about the program.  She also seemed to like old stories bout Husker basketball.  She was a bit of a “ghost” but fun to interact with. 

7 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I believe that she was married to one of the coaches on the Miles staff.  Never knew who she was but did add quite a bit from th3 inside.  She would pm mostly if you said something positive about the program.  She also seemed to like old stories bout Husker basketball.  She was a bit of a “ghost” but fun to interact with. 

Was it ladyhusker?  

On 1/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, basketballjones said:

This has to be one of the longest post in board history. 

I do sort of agree with your thesis: Sipple has decided to take this lane for some weird (although defendable due to our results) reason. And he is, yes, the mouthpiece of the AD office. I must admit though, I do like Sipple more and more - especially since I've gotten to listen to him on pods more. But there's no arguing he's fed info to get certain things out there and create scenarios. 

And I think I agree with keeping Hoiberg. Although, if his buyout was half of what it is now he would be gone and I would support that decision. 

I also find his 'I am the one person who thinks Fred isn't doing a good enough job' stance as a weird lane while also enjoying listening to his radio pods. I give him crap on twitter sometimes because I disagree with his takes which means I value those takes enough to consume them in the first place.

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I PM'd her once, asking if she had played D1 ball. She lauged and told me no, that she was to short.