Kobe Beef

Norm Peterson

4 hours ago, twinswingohuskers said:

I played for Shelby in the good old CRC 71-74.  Played against Phil Troester, Mark Olson, Dean Troester and one or two of the Klute's.   My brother played in 79-81

I saw Shelby in 1981 when I was in sixth grade - they were the only team to beat the Class D champions that year (and beat them twice). I saw the regular season contest, not the CRC tournament final; Shelby won by one on a 35 foot buzzer beater.  Hell of a game, but not as good as the Class D final that year.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

It will be interesting to follow Kobe's playing time moving forward.  Also, will any other players step up?

I think Kobe's minutes will be determined by how well Verge plays and if he sees any time at the 2. With Trey back, his minutes were likely going to drop, but we will see.

Edited by hugh42

15 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

@cipsucks could be 'one' of 'em

No, he was 77-78-79.

As a third grader I saw Hampton in 78 - my uncle (dad's sister's husband) was a Hampton grad, so they came up for the game.  My uncle was pretty mad when Hampton lost - it was the only time I had ever seen him upset - so I asked my dad what he was so mad about, after all, at least they had won the JV game.  My dad looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "No one cares about a JV game."

29 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

No, he was 77-78-79.

As a third grader I saw Hampton in 78 - my uncle (dad's sister's husband) was a Hampton grad, so they came up for the game.  My uncle was pretty mad when Hampton lost - it was the only time I had ever seen him upset - so I asked my dad what he was so mad about, after all, at least they had won the JV game.  My dad looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "No one cares about a JV game."

Gotcha. I grew up in Hamilton Co. And I know Hampton takes their sports very, very seriously.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Gotcha. I grew up in Hamilton Co. And I know Hampton takes their sports very, very seriously.

I coached my son's little league baseball team (Trumbull). The coach for that age group wasn't a very friendly guy, I tried to shoot the shit with him before the game. that was a no go, so it was great when we beat thier ass.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I am trying to recall; when Tim locked the players out of their plush locker facilities a few years back, was he praised or belittled?  He was having some similar problems, right?

IIRC, Miles did it twice. First time, it wasn't public, in year 2, and it worked. Second time, Miles made it public, and it didn't work. 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:40 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

For who?

I suffered a bad injury playing football against Hampton in 1984.  They absolutely killed us because we were just not any good.  In garbage time in the fourth quarter I was badly injured blocking their third string 100 lb safety - I hit him, he went flying to the ground with his legs flying into the air, and when his feet were flying up he managed to accidentally kick me in a....sensitive area.  Okay, it wasn't that serious, but it was bad enough that I still remember it.

Not life-threatening, but did you ever have kids?

You can tell that Nebraska basketball is at an all-time low when talk turns to a Nebraska high school Class D program who hasn't been relevant in boys' sports much, if at all, this century.   🙂

FYI, twinswingohuskers, some of my best football and basketball games were against the Huskies! O'brien and Fusco were quite the coaches.