Kobe Beef

Norm Peterson

17 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Correct. Going to be a bigger market for players spitting drama and wanting to have something to say. 

While probably true, isn't this just a symptom of our problem? Kobe on-air verbalizing frustration doesn't exist if we didn't pair a roster of high profile dudes with a coach who struggles to manage egos. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, cipsucks said:

jimmy, in honor of your wit and Norm's always spot on threads, the next cip contest we have, whenever that is, the prize will be two 14 oz wagyu ribeyes.  Can't call them Kobe, unless they were raised in Kobe, Japan.  For you city slickers, wagyu is the breed of cattle they raise in Kobe, Japan.  Similar to angus in appearance, but the meat is more marbled. Doubt we've ever had an FFA meat judging discussion on this forum before. 😉

If the prize is wagyu ribeyes, might I suggest that the next contest winner be whoever has the best recollection of seeing Hampton High School play in the late 1970s?

simply put this roster is just bad. can't shoot, play defense, or rebound...

i actually like next year's recruiting class better because there's some bigger physical players coming in. 

although I don't understand how we are constantly one of the worst 3 point shooting teams going all the way back to sadler days.

if there's no improvement next year, fred's gotta go.

Edited by FredsSlacks

Man I'm a manager I make crap money and I wouldn't even let my employees act like that. I was a big Fred guy until about 5 minutes ago. I wanted to believe maybe it was just a few bad apples and once they leave with some of the talent coming in could help fix things. Nah that ain't happening once a coach let's this kind of crap happen especially for this long he's done. Fred needs to be sent packing this is EMBARRASSING.

25 minutes ago, FredsSlacks said:

simply put this roster is just bad. can't shoot, play defense, or rebound...

i actually like next year's recruiting class better because there's some bigger physical players coming in. 

although I don't understand how we are constantly one of the worst 3 point shooting teams going all the way back to sadler days.

if there's no improvement next year, fred's gotta go.

I agree but once this kind of toxic culture is around how can the head guy who's allowed it fix it? How can he except these kids to bust their ass when it appears the coach isn't. 

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Spin Master Fred

Didn't say Kobe was wrong in what he said...probably because he wasn't wrong...maybe shouldn't have left the locker room, but if he'd tried to address it before then and the coaches didn't do anything about it, than I'm not that surprised Kobe said something, right or wrong.

I at least appreciate he didn't rail on Kobe or make some snide remark. Looks like Fred is at least getting the message, which is what I care about.

"Damage control, aisle 4. Media cleanup aisle 4 please."

"Oh, that Kobe! Such a kidder is he! Har dee har har! Wow, his jokes get better every time out, don't they? Kids loved this one, I tell ya. 

So, now that we've got our little pranks out of the way and Kobe's undergoing emerency amputation on his mouth in Greenland, let's talk about how we're inches from turning this gosh darn corner!"

7 minutes ago, unl said:

Did anyone else notice HC just said “we addressed it with Kobe and we’re moving on”, but didn’t say anything about he has to do better? He didn’t take an ounce of accountability did he?

Not in public, at least. I’d guess he will have to answer those questions with his bosses, though. 

8 minutes ago, unl said:

Did anyone else notice HC just said “we addressed it with Kobe and we’re moving on”, but didn’t say anything about he has to do better? He didn’t take an ounce of accountability did he?

No, a bunch of excuses came out about tough schedule, close games, etc.  

15 minutes ago, HB said:

No, a bunch of excuses came out about tough schedule, close games, etc.  

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Not in public, at least. I’d guess he will have to answer those questions with his bosses, though. 

Oof. I’m trying to be rational, but that presser almost seemed like Fred’s worst moment. I was hoping when the presser was announced that he’d say,

“The team is going through a bunch of things and that starts with me. I’m the head coach. I am going to fix those mistakes and get a plan to make sure X Y Z doesn’t happen again. What kobe said was accurate, but he’s just frustrated like he should be. We have to do better. We will do better.”

53 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

It can go one of two ways now. That way or a complete team fracture. Hopefully trey coming back helps for the former. 

It also could change nothing at all.  If we stumble into a few wins i'd chalk that up to Trey coming back and slightly lesser opponents more than I would reaction to a radio interview.

4 hours ago, twinswingohuskers said:

How about if I played against Hampton High School in the early 70's.

For who?

I suffered a bad injury playing football against Hampton in 1984.  They absolutely killed us because we were just not any good.  In garbage time in the fourth quarter I was badly injured blocking their third string 100 lb safety - I hit him, he went flying to the ground with his legs flying into the air, and when his feet were flying up he managed to accidentally kick me in a....sensitive area.  Okay, it wasn't that serious, but it was bad enough that I still remember it.