Kobe Beef

Norm Peterson

14 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I can't believe Kobe did this interview or answered some of those questions. ....

Kobe and other players have been regular guests on 93.7 since NIL became a thing this summer. I'm guessing they feel very comfortable talking with DP and other former Husker athletes that often participate in the discussions.

I'm not saying they coerced him into saying something like this or anything. He knew what he was saying, and he made an effort to be as PC as possible. However, it just shows, 1, the level of frustration he must be feeling, and 2, the level of comfort he has with DP and the other guys around 93.7. That's not something you'd hear in a traditional press conference setting where he didn't know the interviewers as well.

This pisses me off on so many levels. First of all this is jiust another showing that there is a significant amount of ineptitude on this coaching staff.

BUT once again it's another complete and total lock, this team is full of guys that don't deserve a single thing they have been given. They don't deserve their scholarships. They don't deserve to wear that laundry or represent this state and university and they sure as hell don't deserve for anyone to pay money or spend time watching them play.

I mean excuse me. You need your coach to do that for you? You're a fifth year damn senior, act like it. You shouldn't need your coach to hold you accountable. You shouldn't need your coach to hold your teammates accountable. That's your job. It's your damn team. You're the ones playing.

There's scheme. Theres' talent. And then there's the process by which a coach applies his scheme to the talent he has. Those three things. Seems like I've talked about this recently. But you can have any two of those things and still not be successful. You gotta have all three.

From the average fan perspective, I've heard Fred's scheme is really good. Top notch. It's hard to say from the results on the floor where the break-down is, but I'll grant for the sake of argument that his Xs and Os strategies are there. Talent? Sure seems like the talent is better than what the results dictate. So, let's just say it appears where things fall apart is in the area of transmitting the scheme through the players onto the floor. And I think that's clearly not happening.

I remember watching warmups for the Colorado exhibition thinking I was a bit concerned by all the goofing around. Players did not appear to be taking seriously the task at hand. OK, fine, it's an exhibition, whatever. But they did the same damn thing against Western Illinois. And now it seems like a symptom of a bigger problem.

So, I'm reminded of that program "Kitchen Nightmares" with Gordon Ramsey. He goes into dumpster-fire of a restaurant and tries to show them how to fix things. And, when he leaves, it seems like he's gotten most of them straightened out. But if you google the names of these restaurants, you find out they went out of business, most of them, not long after Ramsey was there. Why? Was it because he didn't show them how best to do things or make good improvements?

No.

It's because the people who were struggling were shitty at what they did and that's why they had problems to begin with. Mostly bad managers. Some just not very good cooks. But the reasons they were struggling tended to be obvious.

One of the things that Ramsey used to constantly harp on was standards. You have to set a standard for excellence and then demand that everyone adhere to that standard. You never EVER send out a dish that you know doesn't meet the standard. Get it right. Make sure it's right. Every time. And you'll succeed.

I can remember an episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" that ran in the UK. The chef-owner was a Michelin-starred chef (that's a BIG deal) and he was using the highest quality ingredients. But his place was empty. And he couldn't figure out why. This was actually a Ramsey success story because he got them turned around, but the problem this chef had was that he let standards slide. He'd lost the fire in his belly. He was letting dishes go out that weren't up to the standard, and you just can't do that.

But that guy was able to fix it. Can Fred?

8 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

This pisses me off on so many levels. First of all this is jiust another showing that there is a significant amount of ineptitude on this coaching staff.

BUT once again it's another complete and total lock, this team is full of guys that don't deserve a single thing they have been given. They don't deserve their scholarships. They don't deserve to wear that laundry or represent this state and university and they sure as hell don't deserve for anyone to pay money or spend time watching them play.

I mean excuse me. You need your coach to do that for you? You're a fifth year damn senior, act like it. You shouldn't need your coach to hold you accountable. You shouldn't need your coach to hold your teammates accountable. That's your job. It's your damn team. You're the ones playing.

From my understanding, it sounds like Kobe and maybe some others have tried to hold each other accountable with it not being reciprocated at the coaching level.  What else can the players do if they’ve tried and aren’t getting any help?

49 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Discussed on Sharp and Benning today, starting about the 10 minute mark here for about 5 minutes.

Damon put into words what I couldn't yesterday.  I'm sure many will disagree but the adults in the room didn't do Kobe a solid yesterday.  What he said, while likely true, is very damaging to the team and to Kobe personally.  Maybe he doesn't care but base on how I have perceive him to be a leader, I'm guessing he has some regret about the interview today.  I suspect the locker room will be even icier today than it probably already was on this dysfunctional team.  And I have no faith in the Coaches to address this appropriately.

DP has built a rapport with these players and the opportunities he has given them on his network.  I commend him for that and for allowing them to build their "brands".  Based on the nature of the interview, DP's clearly had many off air discussions with Kobe and knew how he felt.  It sounded like they were talking about these exact same issues immediately prior to coming back to break before Kobe unloaded.  While egging Kobe on, I believe the other host kept giggling and telling him to be careful, obviously knowing what he was about to say was very sensitive, damaging, and something that is better off addressed in the locker room.  While the interview was good radio and message board fodder, I find it very cringey for all involved.  Yes, Kobe is a young adult and can do and say what he pleases but the other adults in the room should have realized what the fallout and ramifications would be.  They have both been in locker rooms and knew what the fallout would be.  It was just a bad look for 93.7 in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

From my understanding, it sounds like Kobe and maybe some others have tried to hold each other accountable with it not being reciprocated at the coaching level.  What else can the players do if they’ve tried and aren’t getting any help?

Yes, Kobe said as much. If Kobe comes at a teammate and says you are slacking on the defensive end, and the teammate says "Worry about yourself", and the coaches continue to play the teammate 30 minutes a night without consequence.....then what the F is Kobe suppose to do. Other than maybe go on a radio show and let the world know of his frustration haha. 

47 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Damon put into words what I couldn't yesterday.  I'm sure many will disagree but the adults in the room didn't do Kobe a solid yesterday.  What he said, while likely true, is very damaging to the team and to Kobe personally.  Maybe he doesn't care but base on how I have perceive him to be a leader, I'm guessing he has some regret about the interview today.  I suspect the locker room will be even icier today than it probably already was on this dysfunctional team.  And I have no faith in the Coaches to address this appropriately.

DP has built a rapport with these players and the opportunities he has given them on his network.  I commend him for that and for allowing them to build their "brands".  Based on the nature of the interview, DP's clearly had many off air discussions with Kobe and knew how he felt.  It sounded like they were talking about these exact same issues immediately prior to coming back to break before Kobe unloaded.  While egging Kobe on, I believe the other host kept giggling and telling him to be careful, obviously knowing what he was about to say was very sensitive, damaging, and something that is better off addressed in the locker room.  While the interview was good radio and message board fodder, I find it very cringey for all involved.  Yes, Kobe is a young adult and can do and say what he pleases but the other adults in the room should have realized what the fallout and ramifications would be.  They have both been in locker rooms and knew what the fallout would be.  It was just a bad look for 93.7 in my opinion.

The only one this should be a bad look for is the coaching staff. If there is ever fallout from telling the truth its not the parties involved of telling the truth thats the problem.

11 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

The only one this should be a bad look for is the coaching staff. If there is ever fallout from telling the truth its not the parties involved of telling the truth thats the problem.

Yes, agree it's a terrible look for the Coaching staff.  And, I'm not getting on Kobe for telling the truth.  For me, it's the forum and manner in which this came out.  It will be interesting to see if this is addressed by anyone else inside the program or if this is attempted to be walked back in some way.

2 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Yes, agree it's a terrible look for the Coaching staff.  And, I'm not getting on Kobe for telling the truth.  For me, it's the forum and manner in which this came out.  It will be interesting to see if this is addressed by anyone else inside the program or if this is attempted to be walked back in some way.

Oooof That's gonna be a tough walk back. And who walks it back? For the forum it came out on my thinking is this - If you are associated with the team then you DEFINITELY don't want this to come out at all. Regardless the forum. My other thought is how athletes receive training on how to deal with the media. And Kobe's been at this a while. A super senior. I question if he was nudged into this. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens 😬

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Culinary note: This thread should be titled "Kobe Beef". (I should get an upvote from Cip for this one).

jimmy, in honor of your wit and Norm's always spot on threads, the next cip contest we have, whenever that is, the prize will be two 14 oz wagyu ribeyes.  Can't call them Kobe, unless they were raised in Kobe, Japan.  For you city slickers, wagyu is the breed of cattle they raise in Kobe, Japan.  Similar to angus in appearance, but the meat is more marbled. Doubt we've ever had an FFA meat judging discussion on this forum before. 😉

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

jimmy, in honor of your wit and Norm's always spot on threads, the next cip contest we have, whenever that is, the prize will be two 14 oz wagyu ribeyes.  Can't call them Kobe, unless they were raised in Kobe, Japan.  For you city slickers, wagyu is the breed of cattle they raise in Kobe, Japan.  Similar to angus in appearance, but the meat is more marbled. Doubt we've ever had an FFA meat judging discussion on this forum before. 😉

Same concept as Mezcal vs Tequila, Champagne vs Sparkling Wine, or Iowa vs Crap

6 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

There's certainly some merit to this point of view. It certainly could make things worse in the locker room. Maybe the adults could've handled it better.

But it also could shine a public light on some things that coaches are choosing to ignore. Maybe having some attention on the frustration of the situation forces coaches to address it and demand change. I don't know that it works, but maybe it's a last ditch effort to salvage something out of this season.

Clearly, what they've been doing isn't working, so having some people squirm in their seats a bit could be healthy. There's nothing wrong with tension on a team, as long as the coaches are able to steer it in the right direction.

7 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

This may not be the right time or place, but I heard somewhere on the radio last week I think that all the starters are driving cars that have been given to them.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, HB said:

As long as we’re on the Husker Hoops depression thread, it doesn’t help tonight to watch Chuckie Hepburn play great against NW.    And  see how both these teams (Northwestern and Wisconsin) are way, way better than us.  Hard to see where any wins will come.  

And Sallis playing for Gonzaga.

20 minutes ago, Finley said:

And Sallis playing for Gonzaga.

Haven’t checked in on him lately.  Has he started to get more time in conference play?  I know he was only getting 5-10 in the games that mattered early in the year.  If he is getting more time, is it quality time or time when the Zags are up 10-20 points?

On 1/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, Nighthawk said:

*cough, cough Verge, cough, cough.  

And McGowens.  Watch him on defense, blocking out, etc.  Not focused on the little things.  Drive, bad shot or bad pass,  Clank up a bad 3-pointer, throw pass (rarely) to teammate with 2 seconds on the clock.  How some people see him as a pro is a mystery to me.  

14 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Haven’t checked in on him lately.  Has he started to get more time in conference play?  I know he was only getting 5-10 in the games that mattered early in the year.  If he is getting more time, is it quality time or time when the Zags are up 10-20 points?

Sallis  (usually plays in both halves)

Dec 28   19 minutes 8 pts  5 rebounds

Jan 8  22 minutes  13 pts  4 rebounds

Jan 13  15 minutes   8 pts  2 rebounds

Jan 15  19 minutes  7 pts  5 rebounds